Virus on computer

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by prowler, Oct 4, 2009.

Oct 4, 2009

Virus on computer by prowler at 4:34 PM (777 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. prowler
    OP

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    My step dad got a virus on the computer, it made everything on the desktop missing and changed the language. He virsus scanned it and it said it got rid of it. Now the computer isn't working. I think it still boots i don't know, and i don't think we have a copy of Windows to re-install if it would work. I wondering, would downloading Linux on to a disc and booting the computer up in Linux work?.. And then reformatting the hard drive on Linux, and continue to use Linux (since we lost the Windows disc) work? Or would the virus (if its still on the computer) stop us from using Linux? Help please [​IMG]

2. TheWingless

Member TheWingless Wafuu~

United States
    I think the only way the virus could stop you from using Linux is if it jacked up your BIOS meaning the BIOS will never work or it will never boot from disk, but you said Windows still boots up fine, so the virus didn't mess with any important booting options in both Windows and the BIOS I would think. The virus is made for Windows so it shouldn't harm Linux at least. The option of reformating the HDD and installing Linux onto it should work, but if you want to continue using Windows, you'll have to find an XP disk like you said.

3. prowler
    OP

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    I'm happy with using Linux because i dont think we have the disc. Is Linux easy to use? Time to get googleing on Linux then [​IMG] thanks.

4. prowler
    OP

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Okay so im thinking on using Ubunta. How would i use it? Burn onto Disc and it will self boot when i turn the computer on and put the disc in?

They told me about the computer that doesnt work. It turns on fine, but the software on it and everything else wont load up and stuff

Sorry for double post

5. TheWingless

Member TheWingless Wafuu~

United States
    Most of the time, the disk will boot it self up, or the screen tells you to press a key, but if that doesn't happen, then you need to change the boot options in the BIOs and have disk booting have a higher priority over HDD booting.

To use it, you just use an image burner like IMGBurn and then afterwards, you stick it in your computer and restart/shutdown.

Not sure what you're trying to say there. Most of the time, Ubuntu should work.

6. prowler
    OP

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    The computer boots up like a working computer, but it doesnt let you load applications up and other stuff (my mum didnt tell me the most)

So i just burn to disc, turn on the computer, put the disc in and restart if it doesnt load up i change the system to load from CD?
    i saw a picture for the installer, it lets you see a demo of it before actually installing it?
    I should see if it actually works before installing it? That way if it doesnt work, my windows hasnt gone, and i can try something else

7. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Have you tried booting into safe-mode first ?

and then doing a system restore, always does the trick for me.

8. prowler
    OP

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    i dont know, because its not my computer (Yet)
    i'll ask, but i think they have.

Got some more info.
    parents tryed Safe Mode, and system restore, it didnt work.
    They also tryed a Windows boot disc, but the boot disc isnt 'official' [​IMG] and that didnt work, they set from boot from disc, but it wouldnt load up.
    They can get to certain parts of the computer but not much, so they can transfer the files to a HDD.
    Any help? D: