Virus Help

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Intimidator88, Jan 28, 2011.

Jan 28, 2011

Virus Help by Intimidator88 at 10:33 PM (527 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Intimidator88
    OP

Member Intimidator88 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Alright im trying to fix a computer that has some sort of virus that everytime i try to open anything it says the file cannot be launched its infected and then trys to get me to buy a anti virus which i know is a even bigger virus. The other problem is everytime i try to go into safe mode the keyboard freezes and i cant move the arrows up to safe mode and when i try to boot from a new windows xp install disk the keyboard still doesnt work cause it says press a button to boot from disk.

The keyboard does work when the computer starts up cause i can type but wont during startup or anything so idk how to remove any of these virus or even try to fix this.Anyone know what i can do?

2. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    One clue to how you can remove the virus is the name of the anti-virus it is trying to get you to download
    This page has a list of common 'rogue programs' (although it IS a bit old now)

A search for the rogue program, along with the word 'removal', in Google may bring up suggestions on how to remove it. It might even give us a better idea on how to help you

EDIT: This page offers methods to remove some rogue software - that MIGHT help

3. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    First, give Rydian's FAQ a good read. There's lots of good info in there.

Second, it sounds like you're using a USB keyboard and your BIOS, for whatever reason, isn't loading USB support. Try getting a USB > PS2 adapter.

Finally, if you download any files to try and fight the virus, do it on a different computer (even if it means asking a neighbour to borrow theirs). It sounds like the virus you have (there'll be several) will try and disable any anti-virus from installing.

If you're able, try running (Windows + R, or just typing it in the start menu) "MSCONFIG". One of the options will let you force Windows to restart in Safe Mode. When you're done with Safe Mode, just run MSCONFIG again and uncheck the box to make it boot normally. MSCONFIG can also help stop viruses from running on startup if you know what to look for.

4. Intimidator88
    OP

Member Intimidator88 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Ok I got into safe mode and had spybot and avg programs downloaded from another computer but when I try to install them on the virus pc it wont let me since im in safe mode they both need internet to install so what now?

5. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    You have to start safe mode with networking.

6. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    One of the options in MSCONFIG does let you get the network (internet) back. Make sure you check that option.