Hacking Virtual Console Injection: Caffeine Method

Notshane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I am a bit lost right now when it comes to the majority of things that Wii U modding can do. I have figured out how to fully mod most of Sm4sh and have even played import dumps on my Wii U, but now I have another question that has been boggling me for quite some time now. And that is how to play other Nintendo 64 ROMs on my Wii U.

I understand that the process is possible, and a compatibility list exists on this website that even shows what works and what does not. However, I simply want to know how to inject them, but I hear that the process for NES and N64 games is different for injection, and I want to be guided to the best (preferably video) tutorial on how to do this.

By the way, I also have a couple of thoughts on two games on the list.

1) "Mario Party" (US) being injected into "Donkey Kong Pal" (PAL) does this mean I can only play this on a PAL region Wii U?
2) "Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon" (US) being injected into "mario golf" (no region listed) does a game like this REALLY run on the Wii U? I know the PC has several issues with it, so I doubt this a lot.

I want to know exactly what does and does not work before I begin this (presumably excruciating) process.

By the way, I found the list here:
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/WiiU_VC_N64_inject_compatibility_list

D

Deleted User

FYI You cannot use Cafiine to inject ROM images into the Virtual Console. Cafiine can only access the running program's "/vol/content" folder, which contains assets specific to the game. In the Virtual Console, the ROM data is actually stored inside the executable itself, "/vol/code/something.rpx", which Cafiine cannot access. You must use a memory editor (**cough, cough** Gecko) to patch the rom in memory, and then restart the emulator.

Youshould be able to find Nintendo 64 injection tutorials on the forum somewhere, I remember seeing one a while ago.

Notshane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FYI You cannot use Cafiine to inject ROM images into the Virtual Console. Cafiine can only access the running program's "/vol/content" folder, which contains assets specific to the game. In the Virtual Console, the ROM data is actually stored inside the executable itself, "/vol/code/something.rpx", which Cafiine cannot access. You must use a memory editor (**cough, cough** Gecko) to patch the rom in memory, and then restart the emulator.

Youshould be able to find Nintendo 64 injection tutorials on the forum somewhere, I remember seeing one a while ago.

Hmm, sounds like I am back to square one. Search for the injection method, fail to find it. All I did was search through Google and this website before even posting this, so if I could have a link to at least one post that mentions how to do it, that would be great. I just feel like it is not findable anywhere.

At any rate, has anyone even played any of the two games I listed yet? I can not believe they function based on the results here, especially with no video proof. It just seems a bit suspicious for them to run well on the Wii U to me, especially the latter. What I find even stranger is that Harvest Moon 64 is unable to run, despite the Wii Mode proving the task to be possible.

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It just seems a bit suspicious for them to run well on the Wii U to me, especially the latter.
For the latter the emulator is made by ninty who has acess to everything that the N64 has which lets games work perfectly while custom emulators for pc don't have that privilege.

Notshane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the latter the emulator is made by ninty who has acess to everything that the N64 has which lets games work perfectly while custom emulators for pc don't have that privilege.

Could you please show me a video of this game running on the Wii U? I have searched everywhere. What you said sounds fine and dandy to me, but seeing it in action would really convince me to pull in the effort to do it myself. Especially the "Wii U IP Address" part which is required to inject the games, I would just like to see how this one looks before I go through all this complex stuff.

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could you please show me a video of this game running on the Wii U? I have searched everywhere. What you said sounds fine and dandy to me, but seeing it in action would really convince me to pull in the effort to do it myself. Especially the "Wii U IP Address" part which is required to inject the games, I would just like to see how this one looks before I go through all this complex stuff.
I can't do that for you right now (I'm using my wii u and my laptop is being used) but tbh the wii u ip addres part is one of the easy parts just click enable dev tools on wii u browser settings. unless you mean your internet's ip address which is still easy just open the command line and type that one command which i can't remember

Notshane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't do that for you right now (I'm using my wii u and my laptop is being used) but tbh the wii u ip addres part is one of the easy parts just click enable dev tools on wii u browser settings. unless you mean your internet's ip address which is still easy just open the command line and type that one command which i can't remember

Hmm, I see. I know about the "IPCONFIG" thing, I was just referring to the Wii U IP Address, which I thought was hard to obtain. At any rate, after I enable developer tools, what do I do next to get the Wii U IP Address?

By the way, the Wii U apparently got a system update recently, and I have that thing enabled that prevents it from being downloaded. But, how do I download Virtual Console games? I was able to load the eShop through homebrew, and purchase the game, but the game just says "Pending" and I am unable to download it.

Last edited by Notshane,

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, I see. By the way, the Wii U apparently got a system update recently, and I have that thing enabled that prevents it from being downloaded. But, how do I download Virtual Console games? I was able to load the eShop through homebrew, and purchase the game, but the game just says "Pending" and I am unable to download it.
It should download as long as you leave the wii u on after using nnu patcher. It also isn't a problem with virtual console since i have the same setup and downloaded a ds vc using nnu patcher

Notshane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It should download as long as you leave the wii u on after using nnu patcher. It also isn't a problem with virtual console since i have the same setup and downloaded a ds vc using nnu patcher

Okay. By the way, I still wanted an answer to the above question about where the Wii U IP Address is. It also gives me four extra digits that read as ":0000" with that colon starting after the IP address part. They are not actually zeros, but that was just for example purposes.

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay. By the way, I still wanted an answer to the above question about where the Wii U IP Address is. It also gives me four extra digits that read as ":0000" with that colon starting after the IP address part. They are not actually zeros, but that was just for example purposes.
ignore that and the http part

Notshane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
n64
just get a n64 vc dump repalce the rom with the name of the rom that is on the rom folder, alter the ini for the ini that is on the config folder that has the same eaxact name as your rom folder plus.ini and change the text inside that ini for the apropriate one.

this is from the first result of vc injection wii u. just do that.

So, do I use "titledumper" for the Virtual Console, too? Like, start up the process, but load, say, Mario Golf (the one that works with Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon) instead of a Wii U game and it should do the same thing?

Fugelmir

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just beat Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon on the wiiu.

2 things to note:

-You can't save the game progress internally. Make sure you save using the wiiu savestates.

-Usually the game kept current progress if I closed loadiine and restarted. However, occasionally, this would be lost so make sure you savestate.

Notshane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just beat Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon on the wiiu.

2 things to note:

-You can't save the game progress internally. Make sure you save using the wiiu savestates.

-Usually the game kept current progress if I closed loadiine and restarted. However, occasionally, this would be lost so make sure you savestate.

Can you upload a video of you starting it up and playing it? By the way, which game did you inject it into?

Notshane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Wow, I am speechless. I never thought I would see the day that this game runs perfectly on something other than a Nintendo 64. This is amazing. I now have the influence to continue seeing this through.

More importantly, with that little list you have there, I have a question. Did you use "titledumper" to dump Mario Golf so that you could inject Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon into it? If so, how did the injection process go? Again, I hear it's different for NES and N64 games, especially according to the website I linked earlier.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...