Homebrew Virtual Boy emulator for Wii?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
thaddius said:
People just pretend that it's an awful system but most people haven't played it.
No kidding? The virtual boy was never released in Europe in the first place.

But hey...that also means I can't pretend it's an awful system. How could I? I never even heard about its existence before. So nintendo quickly discontinued its life...what does that mean? So PC world nominated it for "the ugly product in tech history"...what do they know? And even then...it was all over a decade and a half ago...that doesn't mean nobody cares about it...right?
smile.gif

julz1

Trophies
XP
Country
Virtual boy is universally known as one of the all time worst console game systems. seriously a system where you had to take a break after 40 mins of play because you could hurt your neck.

anyway there is like 3 fun games and some homebrew games but i mean too much effort for a system which is going to be downloaded by like 50 people

corey89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The neck issue is removed when playing it on the TV, and many of the games are very enjoyable if you set it to black and white 2D, like playing the original gameboy.

I think more than 50 people would download and enjoy it. It's a piece of Nintendo history most people haven't explored.

Cocosimp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
corey89 said:
The neck issue is removed when playing it on the TV, and many of the games are very enjoyable if you set it to black and white 2D, like playing the original gameboy.

I think more than 50 people would download and enjoy it. It's a piece of Nintendo history most people haven't explored.

lol, black and white and 2D huh?, i thought the point of making a Virtual Boy emulator was playing in 3D or like you said, just go play a gameboy emulator and done. This was a crappy system with crappy games, not worth the effort at all.

corey89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All the emulators for Virtual Boy allow the choice between 3D and 2D, depending on what you prefer. And the Game Boy doesn't feature the games Virtual Boy does. The library of games is actually quite decent although small, and the controller scheme would be good on Wii, as the dual d-pad boxing game is quite brilliant.

If you don't think it is worth the effort, there is surely no need to post in this thread where fans discuss wanting one? I can't see the worth in your effort to talk smack on a system most likely you never played.

Cocosimp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
corey89 said:
All the emulators for Virtual Boy allow the choice between 3D and 2D, depending on what you prefer. And the Game Boy doesn't feature the games Virtual Boy does. The library of games is actually quite decent although small, and the controller scheme would be good on Wii, as the dual d-pad boxing game is quite brilliant.

If you don't think it is worth the effort, there is surely no need to post in this thread where fans discuss wanting one? I can't see the worth in your effort to talk smack on a system most likely you never played.

Actually i still got mine, 4 games, i keep it with all my other old game systems prolly 15+ or more with some games (is kind of sad really
rolleyes.gif
) , but you are right, i was just bored
closedeyes.gif

thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
julz1 said:
Virtual boy is universally known as one of the all time worst console game systems. seriously a system where you had to take a break after 40 mins of play because you could hurt your neck.
People exaggerate. It's only considered the worst because no one has ever played the CDi or the 3DO either. I have never needed to take breaks from it every 40 minutes for neck strain while playing VB (I lie on my back on a couch or something to play). The manual for the system recommends that you take a break every 40 minutes, but so did the Gameboy and every game system since.

I'm the type of person who doesn't judge the fallibility of a system until I tried it for myself. I don't rely on internet memes to tell me what I should think.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^Agreed, I played my Virtual Boy all day before without problems when I first got it. Never had any headaches or anything. The only bad thing is coming out of the hood, your eyes aren't used to the light, it sort of hits you all at once
smile.gif
I'll give my +1 again though, it would be great to have this on Wii and DS.

thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
mysticwaterfall said:
The only bad thing is coming out of the hood, your eyes aren't used to the light, it sort of hits you all at once
smile.gif
I avoid that by playing at night\in the dark.

And thanks Arikado, for keeping up the good work.

OArikadoO

Trophies
Website
arikadosblog.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Your welcome all
smile.gif
This will be what I work on when I'm not allowed to touch DeSmuME Wii because other devs are doing something important. No estimated release date at the moment as you can never know what coding problems you'll run into or what curve balls life may throw at you to slow you down.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
+1 to Arikado:) And they said there wasn't enough interest. Can't wait to see 42" VB games...

For those curious, Reality Boy and a compatibility list are here:
http://www.planetvb.com/modules/tech/index...us&eid=rboy

It works pretty well, the keyboard controls are a bit awkward, But I had a good game of Mario Clash going on it. Works much better then Red Dragon... I hope you keep the "Red" option Arikado, it makes the games more authentic then just black and white:)

EDIT: For those wondering what "partially playable" in the compatibility list means, for Red Alarm and 3D Tetris it means the wire frame flickers on and off. So hard to see what your doing. Those are only games worth mentioning that aren't on the compatible list.

corey89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can probably look into the Mednafen source to see how to get 100% compatibility, cause Mednafen runs every game without problems

panmusic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Arikado,after so many months what is Realityboy's progress so far?
I certainly hope that you have not abandoned this project....

OArikadoO

Trophies
Website
arikadosblog.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
panmusic:
*sighs* Just when I finish pleasing one crowd of the people the other crowd comes back to hunt me down. Oh the pleasures of being a Wii homebrew developer
tongue.gif

I've worked on the project a *LOT* since my last SVN commit. At first I began rewriting all of the ALLEGRO code into Wii homebrew code. But instead I've decided to write an ALLEGRO wrapper so that other people will be able to use my work to port other ALLEGRO programs to Wii. It's a long, hard task and it's impossible to test what you've been doing until it's all done. Since I work on it quite frequently and I haven't been commiting regularly (I don't have a partner in this project so...) I've taken the code private until it's working.

But I'm sure you just care about when it will be done so: My plan is to get it working and have at least a crappy initial release no later than this holiday season. Again, I have (surprisingly) been working really very hard on it.

panmusic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Thanks for your reply,Arikado!
You have already contributed so much in the Wii scene that all of us feel grateful to you....
And you are one of the most active and creative members of the scene!I want to thank you for all your hard work all this time and wish you best luck for all your projects and your personal life.
I am looking forward for your next release and I assure you I am at the 'already pleased crowd' side...
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O:ohnoes::ohnoes::ohnoes::angry: I Love Pianos 😡