OP
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
ok Im gonna try to address everyone's responses

playallday F-Prot did detect some virus, but it wasn't anything related to spyware protect 2009 (at least to my knowledge). I'm gonna run F-Prot again and get the scan results and stuff. I deleted the viruses it detected but most of the files came back....
unsure.gif
anyway I'll try this deleting temp file crap and if that doesn't work I'll try the Ubutubu live cd....God I hope this works....keep the advice coming....thanks everyone for the advice that I've already received

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
JinTrigger said:
ok Im gonna try to address everyone's responses

playallday F-Prot did detect some virus, but it wasn't anything related to spyware protect 2009 (at least to my knowledge). I'm gonna run F-Prot again and get the scan results and stuff. I deleted the viruses it detected but most of the files came back....
unsure.gif
anyway I'll try this deleting temp file crap and if that doesn't work I'll try the Ubutubu live cd....God I hope this works....keep the advice coming....thanks everyone for the advice that I've already received
Post the results, OK? That might help.

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
OP
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
ok i ran it and it didnt detect the files I deleted but it still got some so i deleted those and im running it again to see if it still detects a virus....if it does ill post those results

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's not getting the main culprit is what it seems is happening

honestly a back-up and reformat would have probably been done by now.

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
playallday said:
sweenish said:
Honestly a back-up and reformat would have probably been done by now.
Honestly reformatting is a big pain and a huge time waster. Reformatting is the last cry for help you want to do!

how many days has it been since this started? backup takes a couple hours at the most, if you have a LOT of stuff to back up. the actual reformat and install only takes a couple more. updating will take an hour, two at most, and restoration of data should only take as long it took to back it up.

all done in one day, as opposed to this being nearly a week and no closer to a solution.

the idea that reformatting is a huge hassle and strictly last resort is a MYTH.

f-prot isn't even finding the actual virus, only affected files.

you're basically suggesting that he continue down this path, and have his computer out of commission for who knows how much longer as opposed to a reformat, which is NOT near as large a hassle as you think it is.

me, had the initial virus scans been unable to do anything, i'd have reformatted and already been up and running instead of still running scans hoping something changes as the days pass.

so stop perpetuating the false idea that a reformat is a major hassle, because you are wrong there.

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uh yeah sweenish, Id have to say I disagree with you. It IS a major pain to reformat. Yes, I keep all my non-recoverable files on my second hdd. But it is a major pain in the ass to re-install all those programs again.
If you only use Microsoft Office, sure easy thing. But when you have sat up things exactly the way you like it, you dont wanna go mucking it up

So yeah, stop spreading YOUR myths

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
as above follow my link to the letter!

use Spybot search and destroy version 1.6 or later and update it!

use Spyware Terminator 2 and update it

make sure all temp files including temp internet files have been removed and history that may contain links that will start the whole crap again! (tools/internet options/general and empty/delete temp files)

remember once removed get rid of ALL system restore points to avoid re infection if you restore!

look in add remove programs and remove any toolbars like google toolbar etc remove google desktop and picassa if you have them YOU DO NOT NEED THEM!

have msn stopped from auto starting at system startup (avoids spam file sends when u are not looking at msn but msn is auto connected) do this with other messengers too!

use MSCONFIG from the run bar and look at the startup tab and untick anything that looks suspicious or not part of windows or you know not to be installed by yourself by looking at the path names and file names!

remember when you scan run in SAFE MODE this way nothing but essential windows files are loaded and resident in memory!

remember too to empty the recycle bin if its in the bin then you prolly don't need it anyhow!

scan and search with Spybot and Spyware terminator 2 and remove anything it finds then rescan to make sure its gone!

check your web browsers home page is still your homepage and nothing else (tip I use a blank page for both) then if its changed then its instantly noticeable!

these are basic instructions on what to look for with spyware protect and how to remove it

QUOTE said:
Find and Stop Spyware Protect 2009 Processes:
SpywareProtect2009.exe
sysguardn.exe
%SYSTEMROOT%\sysguard.exe
sysguard.exe

Find and Remove Spyware Protect 2009 registry values:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Spyware Protect 2009

Find and Delete Spyware Protect 2009 Files:

SpywareProtect2009.exe
Spyware Protect 2009.lnk
Uninstall Spyware Protect 2009.lnk
sysguardn
sysguardn.exe
sysguard.exe

more info here

link

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MicShadow said:
Uh yeah sweenish, Id have to say I disagree with you. It IS a major pain to reformat. Yes, I keep all my non-recoverable files on my second hdd. But it is a major pain in the ass to re-install all those programs again.
If you only use Microsoft Office, sure easy thing. But when you have sat up things exactly the way you like it, you dont wanna go mucking it up

So yeah, stop spreading YOUR myths

again, he would have it fixed already if he reformatted. you honestly would rather have your computer out of commission for a week while an average anti-virus fails at getting rid of the real problem, than reformat and have your pc back up and running in one day?

seriously, think about it

i switched from vista to the 7 beta on my laptop, and that was fine. then i decided to back to vista to regain some functionality. did the HP restore, re-removed all the crap that was pre-installed, re-installed my programs, and was back to normal that same day. didn't take more than 6 hours. and before going off on that time, that's 6 hours compared to 1 week that this guy's on.

you guys are doing it wrong. if the initial virus scans weren't working, they won't be now. end of story. if you really wanted him to get his computer back in working condition in a timely manner, you would have changed your recommend after the first few scans failed to eliminate the virus.

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
OP
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
Ok I"m pretty sure its too late now but I"m with sweenish......Now the computer can't find the operating system......ARRAGH!!!! How do I do this back up and reformat or whatever. All my files are still on the drive it just won't boot up the OP saying that it can't find it

x-mah-D

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
JinTrigger said:
Ok I"m pretty sure its too late now but I"m with sweenish......Now the computer can't find the operating system......ARRAGH!!!! How do I do this back up and reformat or whatever. All my files are still on the drive it just won't boot up the OP saying that it can't find it
Well your eh, pooped.
You will need the OS DVD that possibly came with the computer and if you dont ring of the company.
Make sure you computer is set to boot from a disc before the hardrive.
i haven't followed this thread for a while but if your on XP Upgrade to vista yes i know it sucks but you keep your data if you upgrade..
But you need a vista disc

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right there, fallout 76 was a letdown, but it not that bad now, they have fixed slot of issues they had at launch. Biggest issue with Fallout 76 is its a pay to advance further type of game, which sucks
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I may probably download fallout 3 or new vegas on my ps3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    cuz I didnt like fallout 1 that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New Vegas is awesome, F3 was ok too.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I played Fallout 4 on PC, I enjoyed it honestly. Not my favorite game on earth but at the same time I didn't hate it at all lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool you got a ps3... Glad to hear. Game on!
    +1
    Ironic this was posted today lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL. Of course that's before most you guys even were born yet.
    Lol I think my first modem was 48K but it had some sort of firmware or software update that let me get 56K
    +1
    I had EarthLink lol
    A bunch of NetZero accounts that I used for things... Lol
    +1
    So glad I'm not in prison lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea marriage is a bitch sometimes...
    I legit think they passed the cyber terrorism laws from some of my hmm pranks lol
    I knocked the east coast backbone of EarthLink offline for like 6 hours one time, was on the news and everything well I mean I wasn't on the news.... Just they where having "technical difficulties" lol
    +1
    Was just one single custom packet. I miss when Internet security was an afterthought lol almost all modems and network hardware operated in promiscuous mode.
    Now these days they do sanity checks.... The source IP can't also be the destination IP lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Now these days they do sanity checks.... The source IP can't also be the destination IP lol