Viral attack cure

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by JinTrigger, Feb 22, 2009.

Feb 22, 2009

Viral attack cure by JinTrigger at 1:42 AM (2,541 Views / 0 Likes) 34 replies

1. JinTrigger
    OP

Member JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

United States
    Ok so im looking for a place to read pokemon special online and i come across a nice site by the name of mangafox. so im reading and my laptop freezes and i restart it. When it comes back on none of my programs are working and i cant acess the net (im on my psp right now). it also looks like its in safe mode. I deleted what seems to be the problem......a self installing program called spyware protect 2009. It still fucked up my system and i need help fast....at least get my internet back. some please help.

2. Taza

Member Taza GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    Knoppix, Ubuntu LiveCD, Slax?

Essentially, get some other operating system if you need something fast. Looks like you were surfing with a bad browser and your system might be really broken. And there's little to do without an internet connection.

3. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    follow this rather lengthy guide here [​IMG]

4. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    get avast pro, kaspersky, nod 32, or bit defender.

5. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    Go get Puppy Linux (Live CD) and do a virus scan with F-PROT (somewhere in the start menu). See if it finds anything. The best part is that you won't need to install anything [​IMG] .

He can't get Windows up. That's not going to work then.

6. sweenish

Member sweenish GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    this sounds like the result of not being prepared.

an up to date antivirus will usually (almost always) catch malicious code that attempts to execute itself remotely. if you clicked something you shouldn't have, that's your own fault, and an antivirus will do an okay job of catching a lot of it.

windows was probably out of date, there's a reason it has patches every month. to squash vulnerabilities.

i second the live linux CD option. use it to backup what photos, videos, music, and documents that you can, and reformat. a hassle, but this kind of issue only happens because the user lets it (or simply wasn't educated enough to prevent it), in my experience.

and my recommend is antivir for antivirus. it's free, and if you surf smart and take care of your computer, it's good enough. the ad it occasionally shows can be suppressed.

7. playallday

Canada
    Meh, I don't think he needs to do that. Just get rid of the virus with F-PROT [​IMG] .

8. sweenish

United States
    if he's lucky, he won't have to

it's hard to tell if this is one they allowed in, or if it's one that got through because of crappy defenses.

in either case, once you get back to windows, UPDATE IT and GET AN ANTIVIRUS & ANTI-SPY/MAL WARE and keep those up to date as well.

and surf a bit smarter. stop using IE, at least. that thing's a security nightmare

9. Arm the Homeless

Member Arm the Homeless Custom Title

United States
    Stop using Windows. That thing's a security nightmare.

Install Firefox.
    Then look up the add-on called "WOT"

10. JinTrigger
    OP

United States
    Well I'm currently using Puppy Linux and running XFPROT........I hope it fixes my system.....I was using Firefox but I don't have WOT....This is my dad's old laptop but he usually has it up to date...I guess not. I"ll fix that......but what are some alt. to windows

11. Golfman560

Member Golfman560 TheRapist.com

Antarctica
    (Some type of) Linux or Mac OS usually. Mac OS sucks sso I'd suggest some type of Linux. Ubuntu is probably the best for typical users.

12. JinTrigger
    OP

United States
    Well this isnt really my laptop so how would i install it and could I still have Windows on here too and what about all my programs...will they be compatible with utubu or w/e

13. x-mah-D

Banned x-mah-D Banned

Australia
    Hey hey hey wow wow wow

Stop blaming Windows and the User
    He couldn't really help it if he was browsing a pokemon and clicked some thing that looks harmless

THERE'S HOW MANY VIRUS FOR WINDOWS! if you haven't got a virus in your life ( and on windows [​IMG] ) theirs something wrong with you
    Windows is the OS of 90% the market, no OS is flawless or bullet proof every OS has a programing language and with that you can root pc's with it ( you can hide the file system all you like but some bastard will hack it and make computing life miserable )
    Windows = C/C++
    Mac = Object C/C++ (?)
    Linux C/C++ (?)
    anyway because 90% of the world PC's are windows thats the OS the low life hackers go...

Now for the help!

If im correct most virus's live in C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temp
    Now if you are on a live cd ( im not a linux user )
    you can access the file system of your c:\ drive
    so delete all the things in there.

now boot in again to windows and check if that worked if not
    try safe mode and well your screwed if you can get malware bytes anti malware on there and AVG and spybot search and destroy.

Don't tell him to install ubuntu its WAY different to windows! so dont go installing it think everything will work!!
    If im correct you do most of your installing and uninstalling via command line...
    and no ALOT of your programs wont work with ubuntu with out the need of wine...
    if your not much muck around and fix person take it to a pc repair shop or something

14. sweenish

United States
    virus's live in all kinds of places, and yes there are a bajilliion, and the vast majority of those are completely ineffective when your windows is modern and up to date. unfortunately, the user can still execute them if they're stupid enough. this had to have been one ghetto looking site they were on.

and i can blame the user. i run windows, and have for quite some time. nothing like this happens to me. sure i could still be zombied, but i imagine that my antivir would have caught that by now.

vista is a massive security upgrade from xp, though. and i'm not just talking UAC. it's too bad that the ridiculous system requirements and overall chugginess held it back.

also, you're wrong about ubuntu. they have an updater program, like most modern *nix OS's.

basically, you're wrong.

and advising linux is always fun, but honestly not necessary. the bother of learning linux and finding substitutes or wine workaround settings is far greater than simply running windows with an up to date antivir (not a three year expired norton trial), keeping windows up to date, and surfing smarter.

i'm pretty positive that the antivir should have caught whatever this was before it had a chance to do anything.

15. Taza

Member Taza GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    This is so wrong on so many levels. The worst advice I've heard on this board EVER. Don't do ANYTHING he says, because he's utterly clueless, and you'd destroy your operating system.

Get the Knoppix DVD from somewhere and run freshclam and then clamav.

16. playallday

Canada
    Well, did it work?

17. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Tried Safe-Mode---> System Restore, if yes, but to no avail, try as stated above Ubuntu Live CD's etc, and please get a decent anti-virus.

18. x-mah-D

Banned x-mah-D Banned

Australia
    Well was it tempoary internet files and not temp
    Sorry anyway im getting this from differenet places
    Just do a reinstall of windows if you have a disc...but still linux is a very different OS you wont be able to play games like cod
    And other programs!

19. sweenish

United States
    again, you're wrong

it's called wine

and cygwin

look those up

but, like i said, the hassle of a new OS is far greater than simply running a tight ship.

20. playallday

Canada
    Man, you beat me to it [​IMG] ! [​IMG]

Wine doesn't work as well with games I think. But he can have both Linux and Windows installed at once.