Violent Games Possibly involved in Oslo attacks?

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No, poor child upbringing and psychotic religious ideals are causes of violence, not video games. You can't link a single violent act to being caused by violent video games. People also need to take into account that these events were planned over the course of several years. Sorry but anyone who tries to make claims that video games are the cause of violence needs a good kick square in the nuts.

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
suprgamr232 said:
"We're here at the scene of the crime where local teen John Smith had jumped on top of someone's head, yelling 'Yahoo!' in the process. The police had searched Johns room in an attempt to locate some sort of explanation for this event and...Oh! Breaking news! The police had located a copy of Super Mario Bros! This extremely violent video game was definitely the cause of this vicious crime! More on how violent video games affect every single person in the world in a negative way in a moment!"

That's basically how it's portrayed right? I don't watch the news anymore.

Yes, exactly, and I probably couldn't have said it any better myself, or in any better context.

If I had attempted to put it better myself, it would have been one of those Lol TL:DR situations.

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, in some sense, the video games were not AT fault, but they still have some affect on the brain.

You see, when a person plays games like Call of Duty, the game rewards them with points or get higher ranks. Now, that is basically close to teaching someone to know what is right or wrong.

Now, not all people are the same, but these games can have an affect on issues like these, but flame me if you disagree(more like don't flame me).

Edit: I am not saying video games are bad, but I putting the facts before you.

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems that some people are confused. This article is not about blaming violent video games or saying that violent video games even influenced this guy. He is saying that he used them as "training simulation" and these are his words not the medias You guys really should read the whole article.

"Simulation by playing Call of Duty, Modern Warfare is a good alternative as well but you should try to get some practise with a real assault rifle (with red point optic) if possible," he writes under a section titled "Marksmanship Training".

http://gbatemp.net/t302387-oslo-bomb-blast...t&p=3791756

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
gloweyjoey said:
It seems that some people are confused. This article is not about blaming violent video games or saying that violent video games even influenced this guy. He is saying that he used them as "training simulation" and these are his words not the medias You guys really should read the whole article.

"Simulation by playing Call of Duty, Modern Warfare is a good alternative as well but you should try to get some practise with a real assault rifle (with red point optic) if possible," he writes under a section titled "Marksmanship Training".

I would have to agree with you. Here is a true fact for all to know:

In the earlier days, they developed a gun simulation to try to train soldiers for battle. Of course, there was a problem because there is a difference between shooting an image and actually shooting a real human. That is why they stopped using gun simulations, and gun games like Call of Duty were developed.

rt141

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Violent games possibly involved in people blaming them for a totally non-related case, because its easier to say that than to face the fact that society is broken and that in fact everyone is a little guilty in this matter. Oh wait if a newspaper/ station was to say that they would get flamed. It's sad to have people be so little critic and self-relfecting over what they are told, news is business to and the more controversial they are the better for them. This is total piece of news junk.

Over 1500, yes 1500 PAGES of a document the only thing of interest found is... CoD, did the bird-brained journalist used ctrl+f and then typed "videogames" to see if something popped? Probably, unfortunately no one stops to think how curious it is to have a screen displaying pictures blamed... Well for something like this, I mean, there couldnt have been possibly any other reason for this man to this, videogames are ultimately society biggest problem and everyone who ever went 4ft near one should be burned.

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
rt141 said:
Violent games possibly involved in people blaming them for a totally non-related case, because its easier to say that than to face the fact that society is broken and that in fact everyone is a little guilty in this matter. Oh wait if a newspaper/ station was to say that they would get flamed. It's sad to have people be so little critic and self-relfecting over what they are told, news is business to and the more controversial they are the better for them. This is total piece of news junk.

Over 1500, yes 1500 PAGES of a document the only thing of interest found is... CoD, did the bird-brained journalist used ctrl+f and then typed "videogames" to see if something popped? Probably, unfortunately no one stops to think how curious it is to have a screen displaying pictures blamed... Well for something like this, I mean, there couldnt have been possibly any other reason for this man to this, videogames are ultimately society biggest problem and everyone who ever went 4ft near one should be burned.
Okay, here is a relevant answer as a question:

Why did they change the cookie monster into the Vegie Monster?(That is relevant).

koimayeul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
mario was eating mushroom making him super big and shoot fireballs.. so i go and i eat them too but now im a fairy with a broom stuck up my arse.. not a giant shooting fireball! I WANT MY MONEY BACK

on topic : this guy took so many lives.. blame HIM and his sick ideals not the videogames they are mere things to use as we see fit.. like any FPS fit for shooting simulator.. so yeah to hell with mister deserve a sit on a frying chair :/

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
cosmiccow said:
Breaking News just in:

STUPIDITY might be the cause of attacks!

I'd say that "being a nut-job" is a far more likely cause, but whatever floats your boat man.
wink.gif

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RoyalCardMan said:
gloweyjoey said:

I would have to agree with you. Here is a true fact for all to know:

In the earlier days, they developed a gun simulation to try to train soldiers for battle. Of course, there was a problem because there is a difference between shooting an image and actually shooting a real human. That is why they stopped using gun simulations, and gun games like Call of Duty were developed.
No No No. I did not say that i feel that CoD and MW are accurate gun simulations or "training simulations" and i wont devulge my opinion on whether they are or not because it simply doesn't matter.

The fact is that this man, Anders Behring Breivik, wrote in his manifesto that he felt these titles to be more his "training simulation."

He writes "Simulation by playing Call of Duty, Modern Warfare is a good alternative as well but you should try to get some practise with a real assault rifle (with red point optic) if possible," he writes under a section titled "Marksmanship Training".

Him writing this shows us that he understands there is a difference between shooting people with a real gun and simulated one.

Nothing about his manifesto suggest video games influenced him in any way. He suggests using video games as a tool to "train" and to "cover", like isolating your self playing WoW, for planning such a heinous acts.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
People are overblowing the matter. The psycho clearly stated that he used video games as a simulation, an excercise. Without them, he would attack the victims regardless.

It's like an outrage againts forks because the perpetrator happened to use one to eat dinner.

You can't blame the tools, just the offender. We live in times of violence on TV, violence in the Internet, yet rarely do we hear of instances of random massacres.

The truth is that what it really takes is an insane person and a trigger. The trigger could be anything, but we can't blame that inanimate object just because a derranged mind was pushed to extremes by it.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Good news, they aren't letting this thing use the court as a soapbox. So less fuel available for the inevitable nut jobs who will hero worship it.

Edit: Could someone explain to me what a Libertarian is meant to be? It sounds like they are meant to be middle of the road, but they all seem to be extreme right wingers.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
cwstjdenobs said:
Good news (...)

… … … … … … … … … … … … … … … ______
… … … … … … … … … … … … ..,,,--~~": : : : : :"'~~--,,
… … … … … … … … … … … ,,~": : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :"~,
… … … … … … … … …__,,~": : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : "-,
… … … … … … … ..,,~": : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : ¯¯: : : :'\
… … … … … … .._,/,,,_: : : : : : : : : : : :,,--,,_: : : : : : : : : : :: : :'\
… … … … … ..,,-" : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : "-: : : : : : : : : : : : : |
… … … … ...,," : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :--~~~--,, : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :
… … … …,~": : : : : : : : : : : : : :___ : : : : : : ": : : : : : : : : : : : : : : |
… … …,,-"~~--,,,,_: : : : : :,,--~". . . "'~,,_: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : / Good News,
… …,,-". . . . . . . . "-,"~,,,-". . . . . . . . . . '\,"~-,,: : : : : : : : : : : : : / Everyone!
… .,/. . . . . . . . . . . . \. .,/. . . . . . . . . . . . .\,. . |: : : : : : : : : : : : /
… .|. . . . . . . . . . ._,,"~",. . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . |~--,,,_: : : : : : : /
… ..\,. . . . . ,,,-~"': : : : : \. . . . . . . . . . . . .,/. ./: : : : : :"'~~--,,,/_
… …"~,,_,-": : : : : : : : : :"-,,_. . . . . . . ,,-". .,/: : : : : : : :,,-~"`"~,"'~-,,
… … … ,/ : : : : : : : : : :"~,: : "~~----~"-----~": : : : : : : : : :,,-~: ,/… ..."
… … …/: : : : : : : : :__,,,-": : : : : : : :"'~~---: : : : : : : : : :/': ): :/
… … ..(_: : : _,,--~": : : : : : : : : : : : |: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : ,": /
… … … ,"-"" : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : \,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : |: /
..__,,-~"' : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : "~,,: : : : : : : : : :"~": |
.",,_ : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : '\,: : : : : : : "-,_,,"
… ..¯¯"'~~~-----,,,_______,,,-~~-,,_: : : : : : '\: : : : : : : : \
… … … … … …\,: : : : : : : : : : : : "-: :\: : : : \: : : : : : : :'\¯¯"'~-,,
… … … … … … ."~--,,: : : : : : : : : :,,,-": : : :": : : : : : : : '\,_. . . ."-,,
… … … … … … … … \,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : '\,: \:\,. . . . .\,,_
… … … … … … … … .."-,,_ : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : '\,: : : |: : ::::\. . . . . \,."~,,_
… … … … … … … … … ...,"-, : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :\,: : "-,/:::::. . . . . .\. . . ."~,,
… … … … … … … … _/. . \,: : : : : : : :-,: : : : : : :'\:,,-":::::::. . . . . . .\. . . . . ."'~,,
… … … … … … … … ,,-"./. . .|:"-,: : : : : : ::: : : : : :,,-"':::::::::::. . . . . . . \. . . . . . . . "'~,,
… … … … … … … .,-". . .|. . . .\,::"~,,_: : : \,_,,,-~"::::::::::::,-"|. . . . . . . .\. . . . . . . . . . ."~-,,
… … … … … … …,/. . . . |. . . . .\,::::::::"`"`"`":::::::::::::::::,,-":::. . . . . . . . .\. . . . . . . . . . . . .
… … … … … … .,/. . . . . |. . . . . . ",-,,::::::::::::::::::::_,,~":::::::. . . . . . . . . |. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . '\
… … … … … ...,/. . . . . . |. . . . . .,/:::::"'~~-------~~":::::::::::::::. . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
… … … … … ../. . . . |. . . . . . . . .|::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::. . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
… … … … … ,/. . . . . . . .|. . . . . .|::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::. . . . . . . . . ,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
… … … … … |. . . . . . . . .\. . . . |::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

EDIT: Had to do it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-