Violent Games Possibly involved in Oslo attacks?

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
medium_face.jpg

The suspect arrested for the recent attacks in Oslo has reportedly been linked to a 1500 page manifesto detailing his motives. Among the documents numerous games are mentioned including Modern Warfare 2 which was described as a training simulation.

QUOTE said:
I just bought Modern Warfare 2, the game. It is probably the best military simulator out there and it's one of the hottest games this year. ... I see MW2 more as a part of my training-simulation than anything else. I've still learned to love it though and especially the multiplayer part is amazing. You can more or less completely simulate actual operations

Within the manifesto suspect Anders Behring Breivik also reveals his gaming habits with mentions of games such as Fallout 3, Dragon Age Origins and World of Warcraft which was apparently used as a cover story for social isolation while planning the attacks.

who thinks that this is complete bullshit by the media.
dry.gif

..oh Jack..if only you were here to troll the media with your lawyers license and portrayed knowledge about human behavior
rolleyes.gif

SOURCE

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone who blames video games for violent behavior either doesn't want to believe that people are capable of violence, or don't know about anything from before the 1950's.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
stanleyopar2000 said:
QUOTE said:
I just bought Modern Warfare 2, the game. It is probably the best military simulator out there and it's one of the hottest games this year. ... I see MW2 more as a part of my training-simulation than anything else. I've still learned to love it though and especially the multiplayer part is amazing. You can more or less completely simulate actual operations
that sounds more like a game advertisement then anything else

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Ooooh..bullshit. How the hell could you "practice actual military operations" if you have all of those dicks kicking your ass at the same time? No way in hell did this actually attribute what has happened. If anything violent video games relieve stress and violent behavior.

"quit killing me guys!!! I'm trying to train for real life here!!!"

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I hate the arguement that video games are responsible for violence. Take me as an example. I've finished every Final Fantasy game to date, as well as plenty of other RPGs. Sure, if I ever got into a life or death swordfight I might use a move I copied from Cloud or something. But I'm not out there hacking people to pieces. I've got so much shit going on in my life on your average day that most people WOULD have cracked and gone on a killing spree by now. But for me video games provide that essential escapism I need to avoid that spree for one more day. The ability to break free of the stress of reality and smack some bad guys upside the head with a broadsword without all that complicated legal paperwork is vital to my psychological wellbeing.

If video games DID cause violence, then why is it that after I've played all the way through Resident Evil 4 in one sitting then the very next day I was given a load of verbal abuse by a spanish guy in a queue, why did I not suplex him so hard his head exploded?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
_Chaz_ said:
Anyone who blames video games for violent behavior either doesn't want to believe that people are capable of violence, or don't know about anything from before the 1950's.
What he said.
I can't believe people are still trying to blame video games for the worlds problems.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Graphic violence in the media. Does it glamorize violence? Sure. Does it desensitize us to violence? Of course. Does it help us tolerate violence? You bet. Does it stunt our empathy for our fellow beings? Heck yes. Does it CAUSE violence? ... well that's hard to prove.

estebangh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Let me state the obvious:

Guns are involved (especially easy access to civilians), lack of education, respect and tolerance leading to extremist ideologies.

Games and even research simulators are far from actual warfare situations.

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
People will always try to blame violent video games for the worlds problems, the truth is that more often than not, if not in every occurance they have nothing to do specifically and these people are often intending to commit these heinous actions at some point in the past.

These so-called violent video games are just used by said people, and the media, and jack thompson..owaithelosthislicensetopracticelawprettymuchanywherelol, and overly zealous soccer moms as a scapegoat. None of these groups can comprehend the damage they do to not only the market that deals with said games, but the fanbase as a result.

As more often than not they bash the entire fanbase for said game, rather than actually looking at the past of the person who committed certain atrocities, without factoring any video games or any sort (Violent and/or non-violent) he/she/it may have played at any point in his/her/it's life. More often than not focusing on Violent video games only clouds these groups judgment on the situation by causing them to only focus on that alone, hence pinning the blame on video games alone, and then as mentioned earlier, bashing the fans and the company in their over-zealous "It-must-be-violent-video-games-because-the media/bullcrap organization/government/I myself/my pet goldfish/a shoe/a bunch of nail clippings-said-so-and-the-fans-and-the-company-are-always-wrong-even-if-I'm-shown every-physical-piece-of-evidence-right-in-front-of-my-face-even-literally-mashed-up-against-it-because-the-media-never-lies-and-I myself-am-always-right-so-stfu and-let-me-be-a-****wad-about-it-lolmyroflcoptergoessoisoisoisoisoisoisoisoisoi!" riots/rampages.

Now granted I'm not saying that Violent Video games weren't the cause in this case (Although I highy, highly doubt they had anything to do with it, other than being coincidential, which if thats the case it in turn means that it's nothing legitimate in terms of whether it should influence someone's judgement on the matter and should probably be ignored until all other underlying causes/possibilities are considered). I don't mean to imply that in any way whatsoever.

All I am trying to elaborate and enlighten upon here is the notion that it may be some other underlaying cause/reason completely unrelated to video games, irregardless of whether they are violent or now and not looking into said causes and focusing only on the "Lol Violent Video games are always to blame" aspect will only make the situation worse as we will have been left astray by a scapegoat and it's trolling sheppard (Also know as the media, and other potentially corrupt parties involved).

Games may be based on real-live wars, but if you think about it, they are just games, they should not be taken as "lolsrsbussiness!" in any case, no matter how realistic they are.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
We'll never be past blaming video games. As was already stated, violent video games, hell, even Mario can be an effective scapegoat for the right people. The excuses are astounding, and there has never been any proof. And why is it only violent video games? Why not movies that depict scenes of extreme violence and gore? How about the internet as a whole? No, those are too big. Instead, we have the smaller industry of video games. It's easy to target, and the "it's like a simulation," card can more easily be played.

As video games evolve further and further, they more easily make themselves targets for these people that choose to use them in a negative fashion.

"Herp derp, I played Call of Duty, now imma go keel people with what I learned!"

Yeah, I don't think that's an everyday event.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
"We're here at the scene of the crime where local teen John Smith had jumped on top of someone's head, yelling 'Yahoo!' in the process. The police had searched Johns room in an attempt to locate some sort of explanation for this event and...Oh! Breaking news! The police had located a copy of Super Mario Bros! This extremely violent video game was definitely the cause of this vicious crime! More on how violent video games affect every single person in the world in a negative way in a moment!"

That's basically how it's portrayed right? I don't watch the news anymore.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I'mma be the first one to point out that this guy was almost entirely fueled by his desire to spread the Conservative Christian Fundamentalist ™ LOVE OF JESUS to the communists and leftards at the convention by way of bullets. Really, if you want to blame this on anything we should probably be blaming it on this guy's friends and family for not realizing that he was a crazy, crazy mother fucker.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ending to the fallout series was lame could've gave us a bit more