Vigil: Wii U hardware "on par with current generation"

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by prowler, Mar 24, 2012.

1. prowler
    OP

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

​Vigil Games, the development team behind Darksiders II has, in an interview with GameReactor, said their 'opinions' on the Wii U hardware. Transcript of the interview thanks to Nirolak at NeoGAF
    http://www.gamereactor.se/nyheter/43021/GRTV%3A+Darksiders+II-intervju/

1 person likes this.

2. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

so apparently the Wii U has equivalent power to the current gen consoles as in.. the 360 and PS3 ?
    so when the PS4 and xbox 720 come out the Wii U will be far behind?
    great, just what we needed, another underpowered console (for its age that is)

3 people like this.
  3. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    Wasn't this already common knowledge? After all, the footage they've used for it so far has almost entirely been rendered using Xbox 360's.
    ....Which actually raises another question: Did Nintendo use XNA, and does this mean that they've got some kinda agreement with Microsoft?

1 person likes this.
  4. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    inb4 the Nintendo Brigade.

You know, I find this, you know, rather plausible. Like, you know, I really never thought the Wii U hardware was, you know, THAT advanced. It always seemed, you know, capable of producing games equivalent to, you know, current gen quality. It's just, you know, not that special.

15 people like this.
  5. qlum

Member qlum Posting when needed

Netherlands
    This was quite an old bit of news and it was running on the old configurations of last years e3 and it was made in just a few weeks so I don't think this is worth much attention.

6. Guild McCommunist

United States
    The news is from yesterday and it's from developers who have been working on the Wii U hardware. At this point, it'd seem like a complete dumbass move to go to all their developers and say "Hey, we changed our hardware a bunch, have fun scrapping your progress!" What they're working on in terms of hardware is most likely the final hardware we'll be playing on.

1 person likes this.
  7. Gundam Eclipse

Member Gundam Eclipse True Demon Route

India
    HEY, YOU KNOW, I WANTED TO LIKE, DO THAT JOKE TOO, YOU KNOW

But yeah, p. sure this is nothing new, remember reading something similar IIRC
    you know?

8. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    So what? It has a touch screen. Ergo it is innovative.

9. Coto

Member Coto GBAtemp Addict

Chile
    The problem with old tech is, developers tending to port older builds, which gives us all the feeling of "outdated" hardware. Let's hope this is not the case

10. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    On par in terms on developmental difficulty or power of console?

11. Valwin

Banned Valwin The Neautral Gamer

United States
    well this set of news contradicts all other news that say otherwise after all last news say that latest Dev kit was more powerful after request from some third parties il guess we will have to wait for E3 to see who is right

2 people like this.
  12. Guild McCommunist

United States
    It does kinda say that it's same hardware (aka power of the console) and not development difficulty.

I'm assuming this article was too long and you didn't read it.

13. Luigi2012SM64DS

Banned Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Canada
    im not surpired. i bet if nintendo and sony did end up making the sony playstation then the ps3 would be WAY behind the xbox(and not the 360 i mean the original xbox)

14. Guild McCommunist

United States
    what is this i dont even...

Like I'm actually thoroughly confused as to what this statement means.

3 people like this.
  15. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Didn't someone say that the PS4/Xbox 720 wouldn't have that much different hardware as the current gen because of some reason I can't remember?

Anyways, as long as the Wii U finally gets to share good titles with the 360/720 and PS3/PS4 than I'm ok with that.

1 person likes this.
  16. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    Hmm....

Also we've heard heaps of people saying this, we also heard a lot of people saying it's a lot more powerful than 360.
    Only E3 will tell.

17. Erdnaxela

Member Erdnaxela GBAtemp Fan

France
    Here we go again.
    So, the next news(rumors?) about the Wii U is that it's as powerful as the NextBox and how it much better than current gen :x
    Uh, oops, I forgot, only "bad" nintendo news are worth it.

1 person likes this.
  18. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    I will wait until final releases of the system have been distributed, aka not pre-launch developer kits. My understanding is that Nintendo is still tweaking certain aspects of the system, unfortunately the one area they should have tweaked and improved was the graphics chip, it's the core part of the system and if they want to remain competitive with the next generation of consoles. I don't see why with AMD's current 28nm graphics chips, that they don't use something from that line since it's more efficient and has less power draw, they are more powerful too.

Also, next generation hardware won't be capable of much more then improved texturing, really. Graphics are pretty much at their peak in terms of realism, many of the next steps in gaming evolution are going to be involving textures, lighting, and other visual effects, as well as smoother frame rates with those features enabled.

19. prowler
    OP

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    It's not because it's 'bad' that it's news worthy, it's news on the Wii U which we won't be getting until E3; even if it's good or bad, it's a different speculation on what the Wii U is capable of and I think that's news worthy enough.

Obviously all news on the Wii U is not to be taken seriously and with a grain of salt. Thinking that bad news (is this bad news? current gen is fine enough, for a Nintendo system at least, I mean we're all used to a Nintendo system lacking by now) is the only news posted about the Wii U is quite silly, obviously haters speak louder and that's why you only think 'bad' news is all we're getting.

20. epicCreations.or

Member epicCreations.or GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The issue I see with this is the language seems to be a little open ended and misleading. I'm reading it as "it's running as well as it was on the current gen", and "we aren't improving anything", which I think implies that they don't actually know how much better it is than the current gen simply because they haven't tried anything new.

4 people like this.