Homebrew Videos on Moonshell with BatchDPG Guide

Telix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any good reason to use this over DPGTools? I ran a MST3k through DPGtools and it took 40 minutes and looked great. There was a very slight audio sync issue, but all in all it was totally watchable for MST3k. I ran an episode through BatchDPG and it took HOURS and plays back with a weird pixelation issues, takes about 10 seconds to seek to later in the movie, and the video freezes during playback.

yee

OP
Trophies
Website
revscene.net
XP
Country
Canada
Quality is better (please correct me if I'm wrong)

The new DPGTools makes a new format called DPG2, it has faster seek time and as for the conversion time, it could be because of the KVCD thing ticked (not sure), I'll let Firon explain this (I too have noticed longer conversion time, heh)

I've noticed the pixelation errors too, but only in the built-in Moonshell in the M3 firmware. Which Moonshell version are you using BTW and have you turned off Dithering and GOPSkip?

Try turning down the FPS by 1 or 2 frames or an alternative is to turn down the framerate. Lately I've been getting a few PMs about it and I'm trying to figure out the problem. Also, try using the recommended FPS setting for your video's resolution.

yee

OP
Trophies
Website
revscene.net
XP
Country
Canada
@ Firon

Yeah, I was creeping around GBATMW and I noticed 1.3

Nice to hear that the Auto FPS setting has been better tweaked and that KVCD Matrix is now built-in.

Just too bad there's a few bugs right now. Can't wait to try out the new version that you and LS5 are working on together.

Telix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've noticed the pixelation errors too, but only in the built-in Moonshell in the M3 firmware. Which Moonshell version are you using BTW and have you turned off Dithering and GOPSkip?

I'm using the very latest moonshell for SupercardCF. I haven't turned off dithering - but I didn't notice dithering in my DPGTools encoded movie.

yee

OP
Trophies
Website
revscene.net
XP
Country
Canada
If I remember correctly, Moonshell doesn't actually have dithering... that's why it's recommended to turn it off
tongue.gif

ewi770

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've tried these steps but am getting a slightly weird error.

When I try to BatchDPG a video, it says 'Transcoding Audio' sit theres for about the appropriate amount of time and after goes to Transcoding Video and gives me a personcentage...1%, 2%, 3% etc.
When it reaches 100% it says problem transcoding audio, please contact author. Message will disappear in 5 seconds.

I can play the video's sound and video fine on windows media player, media player classic, divx player and other programs.
I tried converting mpg, asf, avi etc and all give me the same trasncoding error.
I tried using a better converting program called TempEnc to code the avi to an mpeg2 and mpeg4 standards and tested the output which transcoded the audio fine. It appears just to be a BatchDPG issue.

I ran the same program on another computer in my household and Batch DPG just crashes as soon as I hit run...
Give me an run-time error using ...something pipe.

Any suggestions? I have tried K++ codec on both computers also...and am using avi synth 2.5.6....

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@ewi770 TempEnc or TMPGenc?
If you still have the mv1 file the you just need to sort out some audio and header manually. The audio is MP2 audio which can be encoded by many many things (besweet with belight and behappy being two good GUIs for this purpose), good settings given earlier in this thread (joint stereo seems to be the way forward mind).
Once you have your audio you need a header, batchdpg has an app called headermaker, usage is as follows
headermaker

frames is number of frames, use something like GSpot ( http://gspot.headbands.com/ ) to find this out.
fps is number of frames per second
samplerate is your audio files samplerate in Hz (most peoples will be either 48000 or 32000)
Audiosize it is the size of your audio file in bytes (right click -> properties is probably the best way to get this)
Videosize it is the size of your video file in bytes (right click -> properties is probably the best way to get this)
Filename what you want the header file to be called, I suggest using the extension .hdr.

Example
If you had a file with 1000 frames at 16 frames per second audio sampled at 32000 Hz video and audio sized at 10000 and 5000 bytes respectively you need to type
Code:
Headermaker 1000 16 32000 5000 10000 header.hdr

You now need to copy it all together in the order header, mp2, mv1. If you know what you are doing with copy /b I will leave you to it if not make up a batch file as follows (copy the code section into notepad and save with a .bat extension),
Code:
Rename *.mv1 1.mv1
Rename *.mp2 1.mp2
Rename *.hdr 1.hdr
Copy /b 1.hdr+1.mp2+1.mv1 output.dpg
Stick the mv1 file, mp2 file and header in the same directory as the batch file and run it.

ewi770

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll try it but it seems like a lot of work to do..

I wish BatchDPG just worked properly and didn't give me these random transcodnig errors. It would be so much easier to have a one-step one-program does it all...

If these steps works, it'll be great but it'll be a six step process for converting a movie from avi/mpeg to dpg...and possibly but not certaintely time consuming...
smile.gif

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Ive tried both dpgenc and BatchDPG and I cant successfully convert a video longer than a minute pretty much

after I click start in dpgenc it says "can not detect total play time" and thats it.

in batchDPG (Ive tried a variety of the settings you recommend) I get various fuckups like a BePipe.exe - Application Error saying:
The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application"
so I click ok, but it doesn't terminate batchdpg, its progressing.
a number of things can happen now, it can kill my computer, shuts it down with a loud high pitched beep. it can complete but say something about the audio not being present and I can never find a .dpg

Ive only got like 2 videos under a minute, I can't be happy with this, so please help guys
wink2.gif

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I made my own 2 hour DPG movie (Serenity) and also downloaded on (Butterfly Effect 2).

Whenever I seek to a part in Serenity, the seek time takes forever. Like 2 minutes to seek to a part near the end.

However, the Butterfly Effect 2 I downloaded seeks to any part of the movie in seconds. Even near the end of the movie.

What settings would affect the seek times of movies on the DS?

Here are the settings I made Serenity DPG with:
FPS: 20
Profile: VeryHigh
Width: 256
Height: 112
Bitrate: 256
Max bitrate: 256
Passes 1
KVCD Matrix: on

Audio Bitrate: 128
Samplerate: 32000
Join stereo: on
Normalize: on

Filesize: 260MB

All I know about the Butterfly Effect 2 is the text the guy posted when posting the movie: High Quality - 24FPS - 210MB - DPG2

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end