VGA Cable qualities? and monitor recommendation?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by nicky041192, Aug 12, 2010.

1. nicky041192
    OP

Member nicky041192 GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    Hi, im considering buying this monitor: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/acer-p195hql...952426-pdt.html

and i'm just wondering if different vga cables will give better picture quality? I have an only VGA cable lying around.

Oh, What do you think of the monitor i'm thinking of getting? it's within my budget. I'll spend up to £120 for a monitor. I'm hoping to connect it up with my Dell Inspiron 15 laptop.

Thanks.
    -Nicky.

2. Lee79

Member Lee79 Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict

United Kingdom
    Here is a 22" full HD 1080 monitor for # £121.57inc. vat and free shipping. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/155601

As for the cable it shouldn't make any difference what cable you use any monitor you buy nowadays should come with a new one in the box.

3. seahorsepip

Member seahorsepip GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I got a 23inch multitouch hp2310ti with vga cable and it doesn't make any difference with a hdmi or other connections...

4. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Leg it down to Morrisions, they were doing a 26" LCD TV for £120 Yesterday, and it would have had a VGA input.

5. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Yup, they do. I use a FullHD 22" TV-monitor as my monitor, and I remember using a badly-shielded cable which gave me a REALLY crappy image with crappy colors.

Switched to a better VGA cable (and later to DVI-A) and everything was a lot better [​IMG]

6. nicky041192
    OP

United Kingdom
    so a branded VGA cable should be better? such as belkin? i wouldn't need a long cable. Ill probably just buy a monitor then try out the VGA cable i have before i go out and spend some money on one.

Or is there something i should look out for in a VGA cable?
    I only have usb and vga on my laptop ><

But what are your opinions on the monitor im looking to get? http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/acer-p195hql...952426-pdt.html
    Looking at the specs, it is better than other monitors within my budget.

EDIT: I checked the acer website and it does say a VGA cable is included, so i shouldn't worry about it [​IMG]

7. scrtmstr

Member scrtmstr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    the one lee79 mentioned is a better option. You are going to notice the fullHD display and everything else is pretty much the same. I say go with that or look for another screen. You've still got loads of options, and the only way to find the best screens that suits you is to go into a store and look at them.

8. nicky041192
    OP

United Kingdom
    i wouldn't need a fullHD screen. I'll probably go look in-stores when i have time. I'll only use it when i have some college work to do. I just need some real-estate to show some documents. Kind of annoying to switch windows and forgetting what i just looked at ><
    I'll go read some reviews for the screen...
    money is kind of tight and i'm really looking to spend as little as possible...
    1366 by
    EDIT:oh, i did try a spare monitor i had around, but the quality is crap XD I would prefer a monitor with a resolution of 1366x768. When i tried to use the monitor at a higher res than my laptop, the wallpaper doesn't fill the screen+kind of moves to the side :/ this a common problem?

9. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    your not getting a hd screen because of your laptop wallpaper doesnt fit on it? srly?

10. nicky041192
    OP

United Kingdom
    I don't NEED a hd screen anyway. Why spend money on a hd screen if im only using it for work? I do have something called a hd tv to watch my films and play games on. Im just looking for a good monitor. I only use hd for gaming and watching films, which i dont do on my laptop. Anyway, cheers joe for being helpful, really appreciate it /sarcasm I just like my screens and the desktops to look neat XD

A best-buy opened up here a couple of months ago. Ill check it out soon.

11. Lee79

Member Lee79 Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict

United Kingdom
    This one should meet all your needs then http://www.ebuyer.com/product/195154 £79.99inc. vat and free delivery.