VFW Encoders?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Rydian, Mar 1, 2013.

Mar 1, 2013

VFW Encoders? by Rydian at 11:04 AM (391 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. Rydian
    OP

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    So with older versions of CCCP they used to install FFDshow using ffmpeg as an encoding option, so whenever a program prompted Windows for the installed codecs list, I could choose the ffmpeg option and then get a SUPER-esque list of formats.

But they moved away from FFMPEG in recent updates and don't do it anymore, so I'm looking for a replacement. I tried ffdshow-tryouts on it's own and it works, but it doesn't include all the encoders I'm after (it only includes M-JPEG and x.264 it seems).

And no, K-lite doesn't include them either, it went decoder-only as well (yes, even the "MEGA" pack that's supposed to include them dropped them).

So is there any "codec pack" or tool that actually HAS the "encode" part, not just the "decode" part of the word? :\

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Yeah the FFdshow VFW section was nerfed several versions back and long before it was dropped from CCCP.

I do still have a use for VFW as things like emulators do very well here and I have yet to find a tool I like for capture work as much as I like virtualdub, still those are special cases and a combination of xvid's vfw options ( http://www.koepi.info/xvid.html ), X264's VFW builds* and either Lagarith http://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html or http://neuron2.net/www.math.berkeley.edu/benrg/huffyuv.html (hard drive is not a problem really and lossless capture helps a lot). X264 aside most are not that taxing to CPU and hard drive wise.... well most of us are on what a few hundred gigs at least now? You will not find me even contemplate capture to MPEG2 any more, a bit of that is having to fight the nasty things DVRs and video cameras have thrown at me over the years but more is what I will hold as a logical position.
    For the really quick and dirty stuff I must admit I did like the FFDshow motionjpeg encoder (and it was good should I come across a piece of history that wanted it for some reason) and I might have been lazy a couple of times and used the Xvid a like section of ffdshow as well. I did have a look a while back for a suitable freeware motionjpeg VFW encoder but did not come up with much.

*I did uninstall mine- most work that warrants H264 probably gets captured as lossless, edited and fed through avisynth to something (usually megui in my case).

3. Rydian
    OP

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Yeah my main concern was tossing long captures into a codec that's quick to compress and has "acceptable" quality, as even a couple hundred gigs of free space will eventually succumb when "lossless" is the only fast option and you leave a recording overnight.

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Thankfully my dv and other "tape" capturing days are pretty much over save for the odd VCR capture of home videos for people and security camera work is usually taken care of by the vendor or http://sourceforge.net/projects/ispysoftware/ (motion capture and/or dedicated hard drive arrays for video)- virtualdub is for microscopes and webcams nowadays for me.

I shall have to have a look around and see what goes, if I was braver I might try to rip the encoding stuff from FFdshow but ffdshow, let alone ffdshow tryouts, has scared off far better coders than I.