Hardware VERY strange bug with component cables + USB/SATA adapter...

Siover-Tiger

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi,

I have a very strange bug with my component cable when I plug in my USB. It's an USB to SATA/IDE adaptor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSO5nsfm8xI

As You can see in the video, when my standard Wii cables over RGB(Scart) are plugged in, everything is okay. I can plug my USB hard drive and everything is okay.

However, when I change to my Component cable and I plug in the USB cable , the whole screen is distorted. As long as i won't plugin the USB adaptor, everything is okay. But the moment the USB touches the slot, the screens breaks down. The Wii still works as you can see in the video, and the sound is also okay.

When I pull out the USB, everything is fine again.

It's not the resoluton, I tried all three, all have the same bug.

Somebody got an idea where the problem is? I can only think of bad shielding of the Component cable, as the RGB cable doesn't have the screen issues.

Eddie_Brock

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My guess would be that your USB drive is not powered, and is therefore taking power from the USB slots on the Wii.
It may have too much draw and is somehow gimping the Wii in the process. I would recommend using a USB drive with an external power supply. I've heard rumors that a USB Y-adaptor may fix the issue as well, however I have no experience with this. I do however have an external USB hard drive, and have not seen these issues in my case. I hope this helps...

Edit: Also, my Wii's power brick, if too close to my component cables will cause distorion. Try to put as much distance between these things as you can.

Vattu

Trophies
XP
Country
as eddie said, your usb drive probably takes too much power. if you want to use usb+component, you must do something about the power problem. buy another drive.

Siover-Tiger

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Eddie_Brock said:
My guess would be that your USB drive is not powered, and is therefore taking power from the USB slots on the Wii.
It may have too much draw and is somehow gimping the Wii in the process. I would recommend using a USB drive with an external power supply. I've heard rumors that a USB Y-adaptor may fix the issue as well, however I have no experience with this. I do however have an external USB hard drive, and have not seen these issues in my case. I hope this helps...

Edit: Also, my Wii's power brick, if too close to my component cables will cause distorion. Try to put as much distance between these things as you can.

The drive is already powered by an extra power supply, so that can't be the problem. The weird thing is, the USB adaptor doesn't have to be connected to the Wii. When I plug the USB adaptor in my PC or PS3, the distortions are there, too, though a bit weaker. However when it isn't plugged in at all in an USB port, the distortions are gone, even though the HDD is running and spinning over the power supply.

Well, I will try a casing for my HDD and I will change the component cable, I hope this will solve the problem.

Vattu

Trophies
XP
Country
so... no matter WHERE the hdd is attached to, it interfere with the wii video signal? Try wrap the hdd with tin foil and use it with your wii.

Justin121994

Bitcoin. coinbase.com/andrew
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same thing for me. I tried this with an adapter same has his with an external power source.. And everthing was weird. So i changed back to the regular cables.......
huh.gif
huh.gif

Siover-Tiger

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Vattu said:
so... no matter WHERE the hdd is attached to, it interfere with the wii video signal?
Exactly.

I will try out your tip, maybe it helps. In any case, I will wait, until my HDD Casing arrives and I will report you if the problem consists. Thank you for the comments.
smile.gif

grante

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a similar issue with mine. It's caused by electrical interference.

Either:
- Plug the HDD into a power bar, wii directly into the wall
- Or The opposite way around
- Or completely seperate outlets
- Or move the hard drive further away

One of those should fix it.

Am0s

Mojo Risin
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
sounds like a grounding issue to me, as stated the guy said it happens on his other console and as soon as its touches the usb distortions appear, I watched the video thats not distortion thats just screen rolling, which can be caused by a ground issue,

Siover-Tiger

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
SUCCESS!

My HDD casing just arrived. I put in the HDD and tried it.... and no screen distortions anymore! So it was the USb to SATA adaptor I the end. Thanks for your help, guys.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
SUCCESS!

My HDD casing just arrived. I put in the HDD and tried it.... and no screen distortions anymore! So it was the USb to SATA adaptor I the end. Thanks for your help, guys.
It only took me several months to troubleshoot mine when this happened (I have just finished troubleshooting!).

Composite (bundled) Wii cable: everything looks fine (well, as fine as composite can look...)
Component cable: Every time I'd connect my USB portal (Skylanders) the screen would go completely black. That was the first sign I noticed some interference. Also, randomly the screen would go black for a second (or three) while playing games using the component cable. Weird stuff. Also interference patterns on the screen. The interference lines on the screen were isolated to a nearby USB drive being used. Actually it would still cause interference quite a distance away from the TV. What the...? But the black screen 'blank outs' of the video signal and the Skylanders portal making the screen blank out while the component cable was in use was a mystery to me (first I thought it was the cable, then the Wii itself). The only solution was going back to the bundled composite cable.

terrible cheapie power supply
Turns out it was the terrible switching power supply bundled with my ebay 3.5 inch sata-to-usb external enclosure. I was thrown off a bit 'cause I never thought the USB drive would have this kind of influence on both the screen and the Portal used for Skylanders (black-screening the video signal). Now I know better :)

Last edited by foob,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Minox @ Minox:
    I'll stick with my kimchi thank you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Triglycerides almost 900
  • Minox @ Minox:
    No idea what any of those things you mention are
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Cholesterol and Triglycerides? Basically a way they measure fatty cells in your blood
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Cholesterol is sorta high, according to my doc
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been taking fiber pills, eating more grapes, switched to wheat bread in hopes to lower it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like wheat bread, I even like the chunky wheat bread with pieces of whole grain in it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Been getting this honey wheat bread from aldis pretty decent not very sweet to out do it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Me making any food at home is an improvement to how I use to be
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have an bread machine and use it alot, better than breads you buy, but don't last as long, cause no bs preservatives
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got compliments about my weight loss and thought well guess I can pig out again now I'm the piggy
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My biggest prob is alcohol, definitely is fattening
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I know when to stop at least honestly don't get those that go and go with food
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or those that order 2 big macs , large fry, ice cream sundie, then a diet coke
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I might get downing two big macs but nah that's it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok that will be $15.99, cash or charge?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My go to orders usually a mcdouble and a mcchicken and I'm happy rarely mess with fries
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pro tip ask for that clowns jizzmac sauce on your mcdouble
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do they charge extra when you add sauce,etc? I know burger king used to not, but don't know nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They may squrit it for free if you ask nice
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Last time I got bk it was 35c per sauce fuck you king of my nutsack
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll buy a bottle of baby rays BBQ for $2 and add it from home out of spite
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like baby rays, my favorite is KC masterpiece tho. Figured all you could buy is that there.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The metro doesn't discriminate good sauce
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The metro doesn't discriminate good sauce +1