Very slow start times for all programs

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The argument is over? (looks at remaining popcorn)...

Someone say something about macs not getting viruses!
nobody.jpg

Here you go. You're welcome.

Reactions: 1 person

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
With I/O slowdown, the most common culprit is the antivirus, but there's other possibilities. In the task manager go to the Processes tab, go to the View menu and choose "select columns". In the new window check all of the "I/O" entries and press okay, then take some screenshots so we can see what's up in those columns.
^^ This. I get people complaining all the time that their computers are too slow ("I think it must have a virus or something?") and nine times out of ten it's because their antivirus program is making everything slow as molasses. That entire industry has become a big scam, convincing people that they need something they don't and purposely underperforming so their "upgrades" seem worthwhile.

TL;DR version: get rid of avast.

Avast has never caused me problems. The only issue i have with avast is that they now are starting to become like Norton > .>

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
@tueidj, there is a new worm floating around that you get by clicking at this URL:
Code:
http://sendspace.com/pro/dl/ma8kdm?image=CENSORED
I have censored the last part because people would get infected. You can figure it out with google. According to reports you have to overwrite your MBR and install windows from scratch again. This worm apparently is currently not in any AV databases listed, but it will shortly I bet. If you still think an AV is not needed feel free to click the link.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This is what google tells me:
- the link is being sent from random strangers over skype.
- you have to actually download and run the worm, visiting the link does nothing.
- it steals your skype login details, uses your account to spam other people with new links (this is how it spreads itself).

I don't use skype. Problem avoided.
I don't follow links provided by random strangers in IMs. Problem avoided.
If someone did send me a message that said "Are these your pics?" and it led to an executable program, why would I download and run it? Programs are not pictures. Problem avoided.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is what google tells me:
- the link is being sent from random strangers over skype.
- you have to actually download and run the worm, visiting the link does nothing.
- it steals your skype login details, uses your account to spam other people with new links (this is how it spreads itself).

I don't use skype. Problem avoided.
I don't follow links provided by random strangers in IMs. Problem avoided.
If someone did send me a message that said "Are these your pics?" and it led to an executable program, why would I download and run it? Programs are not pictures. Problem avoided.

You're not an average user obviously. The average user may not have the same sense as you. These are the types of people that AVs should be used with.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That was not the point:
If you still think an AV is not needed feel free to click the link.
Clicking the link does nothing. You have to actually download and run an unknown program, if a user is willing to do this there is no AV strong enough to protect them from their own stupidity.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That was not the point:
If you still think an AV is not needed feel free to click the link.
Clicking the link does nothing. You have to actually download and run an unknown program, if a user is willing to do this there is no AV strong enough to protect them from their own stupidity.

The point is that the AV will detect it and warn the user. If that's not protection then what is? If someone purposely ignores the warning, then yes, they're the idiot then.

EDIT: When the AV gets updated to be able to detect it I mean.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then they will download and run the next undetectable worm. Or the next. Or the one after that...

Well, if there was no protection, then we'd be running into this all the time. Undetectable is only until AV developers get a hold of it and make an update for it. Until then, every average user will be vulnerable to it. Did you get that? People like you and me aren't who's being targeted.

God forbid people use condoms when they could just pull out.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Oh I have been told by peeps using Skye (I don't have Skype) that you get the worm just by clicking at this link. I googled more information and according to them the worm messes up your folder permissions and may leave a backdoor in your system. Everybody advises not to click this link and if you did, you have to install Windows from scratch again. Nobody mentioned a file you have to execute.

Edit: You are right. It really is a file you have to run.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So you're only entitled to complain when you do something stupid and your AV fails to stop it? That's fine because I'm not complaining about anything...
Personally I haven't used any AV for over 20 years with zero infections, currently running a win XP box that was setup in 2006 and a win7 box setup in 2010.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: https://allfood.recipes/pizza-burger-pie/