version 2.0U->Homebrew?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by microphage, Dec 6, 2008.

Dec 6, 2008

version 2.0U->Homebrew? by microphage at 6:19 AM (1,007 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. microphage
    OP

Newcomer microphage Newbie

United States
    Just a quick question. Whats the best way to go about homebrewing from a current 2.0U? Everybody says don't upgrade the firmware but installing homebrew doesn't work with this OLD of a version(I've tried). Is it just better for me to just bite the bullet and upgrade to 3.4u then downgrade?

Thanks in advance

2. EmperorOfCanada

Member EmperorOfCanada GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Im the first guy that usually would tell you not to. But Ive recently changed my opinion. I think upgrading, and then downgrading *would* be your best option at this point. (Probably easiest option too).

Just do the update and follow the guide in my sig and you will be on 3.2 and laughing in no time.

3. Slowking

Member Slowking GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    You could upgraade to 3.4 and then downgrade or get a game that has 3.2 on it. (3.2 Starfall is the way to go for homebrew)

4. Tichinde925

Member Tichinde925 Marth Ditto Money Match?

United States
    EDIT after Slowking's post: First get Mario Kart/Brawl, update to 3.1 with one of those games, then use my method.

Download this:

http://hackmii.com/2008/05/ntsc-semi-brick-fix/

use wiiscrubber or trucha signer to extract IOS 30 and the System Menu wad.

Use wadmanager to install the two to get to 3.2U

5. Slowking

Germany
    That will only update his system menu. Between 2.0 and 3.2 there were MANY other changes. I wouldn't update this way.

6. Tichinde925

United States
    Arent the changes inside the system menu?

The best method would be to get Mario Kart/Brawl, update to 3.1 with one of those games, then use my method.

Starfall will work with my method as thats what I did.

7. Slowking

Germany
    ähm no. For example 3.2 --> 3.4 has two Mii channel updates, one shop channel update, updates all IOS-versions and ads a few new IOSs.
    You can proabably guess what all changed between 2.0 and 3.2.

I guess it wouldn't be such a bad idea to update to 3.4 and run the NFS Undercover update, then run cIOS downgrader and IOS downgrader. THis way your Wii would be fully updated...

8. Tichinde925

United States
    http://wiibrew.org/wiki/System_Menu_Versions

Firmware Version 2.2 only added in IOS 20. So he will also have to use wad manager to install IOS 20.

The Mii channel + Wii Shop updates can be downloaded via the PatchMii / tona's installers.

IOS50 + Mii Channel
    IOS51 + Wii Shop

Rather than having all IOSs be patched, he could just install IOS 30 + System Menu + IOS 20.

Problem solved to updating to version 3.2 where StarFall can be installed.

9. Slowking

Germany
    You forgot all the versions in between:
    - Update to support the News Channel going live
    - "Resolved connection issues that affected a small number of users who connected online through a specific Internet Service Provider and supplied router."
    - Channels can now display data gathered by WC24 (Weather, News). Clock display.
    - USB Keyboard support.
    - "This update does not affect any prominently-used features or menus; however it does provide some behind the scenes updates that will improve system performance."

10. Tichinde925

United States
    IOS20 = "Resolved connection issues that affected a small number of users who connected online through a specific Internet Service Provider and supplied router."

2.1 System Menu wad = Update to support the News Channel going live

2.2 System Menu wad + IOS20 = "Resolved connection issues that affected a small number of users who connected online through a specific Internet Service Provider and supplied router."

3.0 IOS30 v1037 + System Menu= Channels can now display data gathered by WC24 (Weather, News). Clock display.

3.1 IOS30 v1039 + System Menu = USB Keyboard support.

3.2 IOS30 v1040 + System Menu = "This update does not affect any prominently-used features or menus; however it does provide some behind the scenes updates that will improve system performance."

3.3+ start to touch BC and MIOS.

P.S.

So basically, he only needs IOS 20, IOS30, and the System Menu wad + the Mii Channel / Wii Shop Channel updates to get to Firmware 3.2