OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Currently with the SD menu in effect I have put all my vc/wiiware on two seperate 4gb sd cards, leaving me just enough room to use some standard Homebrew (mplayer, geexbox, usbloader etc.) on them. The directory structure of my current sd cards is /priviate/wii/title/XXXX/*.bin. An idea I have been pondering is would it be possible to just copy over to the HDD that directory structure AFTER you have copied the channels to the SD and then on the SD card just have a 5-6 block forwarder channel pointing to it on the external hard drive. I am in no means a programmer, and am not sure if this is at all possible, but think it would be a rather excellent idea. Currently having to swap SD cards is kind of a pain and I'd rather not buy another SD card just for this purpose.

maduin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it seems entirely possible, considering the fact that you can make a game channel that forwards the USB Loader to find the the correct ISO on your USB HDD.

Let's say there is an app that is developed that can load VC/WiiWare games onto your WBFS and then you could load it through the USB Loader (or modded USB Loader Channel). I'd say you'd be able to do what you're saying in the next month or so, you just have to trust that someone will make it.

maduin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, then do it. Then program the USB Loader to read NTFS as well. why bother with anything if you can use things that already exist. since you have all the technical expertise to do so... go tell waninkoko that the WBFS he developed is stupid and he should use a different file system.

Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
i would find it more usefull if the loader wouldn't need wbfs to run and it would be an option to use. i would rather have it read from a fat/ext partition. i know there are certain limitations with fat but any other os-fileystem would do it or splitting bigger images into 1gb parts could be done. i think fat would be the first choice. most homebrew apps support fat filereads because they integrate libfat. so every homebrew with sd access could be easily altered to have usb hdd access to. this would give you the possibility to store movies, roms and wii games on 1 single external hdd. they could integrate a process of scrubbing the image during read, if you put it on your wii with its dvd drive. if you copy it via your operating system you could simply put allready scrubbed games onto it. i would mind if those games are slightly bigger than the one on a wbfs filesystem. that would make it quite more handy because i could use my external harddrive at its full size without messing with partitions and wasted space.

wiinublet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Your arrogance astounds me. You read what I wad referring to all wrong. This would have nothing to do with the WBFS or USBloader, currently many applications access the external FAT partitions (mplayer, geexbox etc) for data. Currently you can put your FAT SD card in your wii and copy over the channels. It creates a /private/wii/title/XXXX directory structure on the card in which you can plug it into ANY machine and move the data to your external hard drive and then on that SAME sd card rather than having that directory structure its a simple forwarding channel to the content on the HDD now rather than the SD card. It would be simply looking for the data on the hard drive rather than the sd card, using 5-6 blocks rather than some 2-300.

duncans_pumpkin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
wiinublet said:
Your arrogance astounds me. You read what I wad referring to all wrong. This would have nothing to do with the WBFS or USBloader, currently many applications access the external FAT partitions (mplayer, geexbox etc) for data. Currently you can put your FAT SD card in your wii and copy over the channels. It creates a /private/wii/title/XXXX directory structure on the card in which you can plug it into ANY machine and move the data to your external hard drive and then on that SAME sd card rather than having that directory structure its a simple forwarding channel to the content on the HDD now rather than the SD card. It would be simply looking for the data on the hard drive rather than the sd card, using 5-6 blocks rather than some 2-300.

Your an idiot. That just doesnt make any sense.

wiinublet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
VC/WiiWare CHANNEL stored on Wii ----> Moved to SD CARD

SD Card has /private/wii/title/XXXX/*.bin file now on it. ---> Moved/Copied to FAT partition

SD Card forward channel points to new mount point ---> /dev/hdd or w/e rather than SD Card /private directory

a forward .dol is basically a .dol saying 'HEY look on the sd card for X'
so a new forward .dol that says "HEY look on HDD for X' is not possible?

drmarvin

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
wow, people are in a b*tchy mood today.

It makes perfect sense.

I certainly understand why this would be something to try, although less of an issue since the SDHC update. You definitely wouldn't need to use the WBFS for VC/WiiWare since they are so small, and it would make transferring things from SD to HD simpler. I don't know if the forwarder would work, since my programming knowledge is limited, but since the USB loader has happened, it would be nice to be able to off-load most things to the HD. I don't use my Wii as a media player since the 360 is better for streaming, but I might consider it later as a very portable media player with the hard drive. Being able to put all the games on one drive would be nice, and then all that the SD card would need to be used for would be GHWT/RB2 DLC (unless someone can figure out how to get DLC from the HD too).

sr_corsario

Trophies
XP
Country
Well... its not the same and dont have all options of vc games... but snes injections on trial games on ssbb could work easylly. Snes games dont have time limit (n64 have) however its not possible to save state or anything else...

Its just an idea...

Drihscol

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
wait, i havent updated to 4.0 yet, because, well i dont need the space yet, (why do people have the nintendo channel!! waste of space)
but, i think the way it works is that it copies over to the nand first?
shouldnt we work out a way to play the vc/wiiware games or channels without copying to the nand?
now i know that this would be pretty/ridiculously hard, but copying reduces the life of the nand,
so, priorities???

datahoarder

Organized.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
duncans_pumpkin said:
Did you mean "You're"?
Anyways, I for one think this is an excellent idea, having the channels load the VC/Arcade/WiiWare games from USB hard drive.
Shouldn't be long before it's possible, just depends if a programmer/coder isn't satisfied with loading VC/A/W from SD.

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kornychaos said:
duncans_pumpkin said:
Did you mean "You're"?
Anyways, I for one think this is an excellent idea, having the channels load the VC/Arcade/WiiWare games from USB hard drive.
Shouldn't be long before it's possible, just depends if a programmer/coder isn't satisfied with loading VC/A/W from SD.

lol he trolled you.

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
BBking83 said:
I gotta ask...
WHY?!?!?!?!?!Perhaps you nead to...
READ?!?!?!?!?!
Just the first post of the thread.QUOTE(wiinublet @ Apr 6 2009, 11:40 PM) Currently with the SD menu in effect I have put all my vc/wiiware on two seperate 4gb sd cards... ...Currently having to swap SD cards is kind of a pain and I'd rather not buy another SD card just for this purpose.
People come here to discuss Wii hacking. Not everyone wants to do the same as you.

Now as for the OP, I don't know if this is possible, I'd look to some of the forwarder channel coders and ask them.

BBking83

Trophies
XP
Country
shtonkalot said:
Perhaps you nead to...
READ?!?!?!?!?!

Yeah, I read it. I still think 4G is enough.

Anyway... QUOTEThe directory structure of my current sd cards is /priviate/wii/title/XXXX/*.bin.

Seeing as there are about 8G worth of games, you'll need to firgure out the XXXX for each game.

Which, IMO, would be more of a pian to figure than simply swapping an SD card.

Anyway, good luck with it!!
smile.gif

Gagarin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You guys must sit and enjoy the show.
I'm sure one year from now we'll be run (not only install) VC/Viiware games stored in Wad directory of HDD.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Apply snorgle to pinfor.