Homebrew VC injection 3.0: HANS injection

Real_Redwolf

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I would love to use this but I have GameYob for GB/C games, QuickNES for NES games, and I don't have any of the ambassador GBA titles for injecting so it wouldn't really help me. But this does look cool for those who do find use in it! Good job on this! ;)

zeldafan20081

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
I deleted that file, and found out that I was messing up at the HxD part, after inputting fff as the offset you hit enter, and then a bunch of stuff will be highlighted, and then you delete that. I wasn't because I've never used a hex editor before and had no idea what I was doing. After I figured out why I was a dummy it now works just fine.
I deleted the offset and it still does that. I wonder if that first line was supposed to be deleted. I took a look at the original, unedited romfs file of my four VC games and they all have that first line that, to the side, says something like "IVFC", but everything else below that, until the address 00000FF0 is all zeroes. Same goes for the edited romfs files. They all have that same IVFC thing.

I'm gonna download the updated version of HANS and see if it helps.

EDIT: I see what I was doing wrong. I forgot to rename the file extension from .bin to .romfs. Doh'!

Last edited by zeldafan20081,
Reactions: shutterbug2000

Deleted member 370283

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way, using a combination of XML files and stuff, to be able to select a VC game to place your ROMFS into?
Like, for example, if I wanted to place Mario 3 into a NES VC game, I could pick one I wanted to use rather than needing to use a specific VC game.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
the attatchment from this post will probably help you guys for making NES injections
I had a go at making a NES -> TNES converter. I tried to keep it simple, the code is probably terrible and ugly, but it seems to work. Zip contains the source (should compile on windows and *nix) and a mac binary (compiled on 32bit snow leopard, would presumably run on 64bit and newer os x versions). I borrowed some simple file access functions from makerom because I'm lazy, thanks 3DSGuy. It supports the mappers listed earlier in the thread, more can be added easily as they're figured out.

It runs from the command line,
tnes infile.nes outfile.nes

Feel free to share builds, make improvements, make batch files or graphic interfaces or whatever the hell you like.
https://gbatemp.net/attachments/tnes-converter-v1-zip.10689/

will fix the headers on games to make them 3DS VC compatible

srwgin

Trophies
XP
Country
China
ps: I used Mario Golf and worked fine:
Shantae
Pokemon Crystal
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
Megaman Xtreme
Survival Kids
Dragon Warrior 3
Pokemon Crystal not work for me,are you just rename Pokemon Crystal rom name and replace it then build romfs and delete first 1000 bytes

Red9419

Trophies
XP
Country
I was trying to replace Tloz NES with Megaman. I get to the Rom Switcher menu loading but when i press Y to replace it it takes me to the VC but i get a gray screen. Any help?

TheLittlestBowl

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was trying to replace Tloz NES with Megaman. I get to the Rom Switcher menu loading but when i press Y to replace it it takes me to the VC but i get a gray screen. Any help?

You need to add the correct info into the ROM's header. Don't ask me how, I ripped ROMs from custom NES VC cias.

Last edited by TheLittlestBowl,
Reactions: Red9419

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Reactions: Red9419

Red9419

Trophies
XP
Country
lol sorry im dumb how do i use those files(to patch nes)? Do i inject them alongside with the rom on the romfs?

Last edited by Red9419,

kenseiden

i am overflow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For anyone else on Windows wondering why there wasn't a compatible executable in the tnes-converter zip, this post (http://gbatemp.net/threads/gbc-vc-generator.371819/page-7#post-5148680) contains an attachment containing a variety of tools, including a Windows-compatible version of the tnes converter!

What you need from the vcpkg zip is the cygwin1.dll and tnes.exe. Extract them from the zip in their own folder if you want; I recommend doing so because it'll make it easier and more organized when you have to convert the NES games later. Also, since you will be using a command-line to convert the games, I also recommend renaming the games so that there are no spaces in the name (i.e. GI Joe.nes renamed to either GiJoe.nes or GI_Joe.nes). Once you are ready to convert your NES games, open up a command window in the same folder where tnes.exe and cygwin1.dll are; an easy way to do this is hold Shift and right-click anywhere in the folder. You should see an "Open Command Window Here" prompt in the context window. Once you open the command window, type "tnes inputrom.nes outputrom.nes" (without the quotes around it) with "inputrom" being the game you want to convert, and "outputrom" being the name of the converted rom to properly convert your NES games to the format needed for the VC. Once that's done, put the game(s) into the rom folder of the romfs, and follow the rest of the steps in the first post to recompile your new romfs for the VC you wish to inject into. :)

For the record, I've successfully injected into Legend of Zelda, and everything seems to be running fine :)

Red9419

Trophies
XP
Country
For anyone else on Windows wondering why there wasn't a compatible executable in the tnes-converter zip, this post (http://gbatemp.net/threads/gbc-vc-generator.371819/page-7#post-5148680) contains an attachment containing a variety of tools, including a Windows-compatible version of the tnes converter!

What you need from the vcpkg zip is the cygwin1.dll and tnes.exe. Extract them from the zip in their own folder if you want; I recommend doing so because it'll make it easier and more organized when you have to convert the NES games later. Also, since you will be using a command-line to convert the games, I also recommend renaming the games so that there are no spaces in the name (i.e. GI Joe.nes renamed to either GiJoe.nes or GI_Joe.nes). Once you are ready to convert your NES games, open up a command window in the same folder where tnes.exe and cygwin1.dll are; an easy way to do this is hold Shift and right-click anywhere in the folder. You should see an "Open Command Window Here" prompt in the context window. Once you open the command window, type "tnes inputrom.nes outputrom.nes" (without the quotes around it) with "inputrom" being the game you want to convert, and "outputrom" being the name of the converted rom to properly convert your NES games to the format needed for the VC. Once that's done, put the game(s) into the rom folder of the romfs, and follow the rest of the steps in the first post to recompile your new romfs for the VC you wish to inject into. :)

For the record, I've successfully injected into Legend of Zelda, and everything seems to be running fine :)
Thank you so much! I was really confused.

dronesplitter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have ambassador games, can't wait to get to trying metroid zero mission. Not sure which the best game to inject into would be, though.

Red9419

Trophies
XP
Country
@shutterbug2000 Is there a way to make the Injection permanent? Or do we need to keep opening Hans. I've tried loading the Vc in the home menu but it loads the original rom but keeps the injected save state while the injected one through Hans has no save state ( on nes roms)

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@shutterbug2000 Is there a way to make the Injection permanent? Or do we need to keep opening Hans. I've tried loading the Vc in the home menu but it loads the original rom but keeps the injected save state while the injected one through Hans has no save state ( on nes roms)

no because with hans what your doing is redirecting the VC's romfs stored in sysnand to what you have stored on the SD.

unless what GBC VC is the host that we're redirecting from looks like Pokemon Yellow's off teh list, anytime in any menu i press A (using LoZ: Oracle of Ages as a host) it resets to a whitescreen and doesnt recover.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/kTzpzBF.mp4