Valve will attempt to combat review bombing on Steam by removing offtopic and DRM focused reviews

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Mar 17, 2019.

Front-page
    541197-steam-logo-640x360.

PC gamers will likely be familiar with Steam and its user review section, where players can see hundreds of opinions all at a glance, to help determine if a certain game is good or not. And like any storefront that features user reviews, it's common for particularly heated users to collectively "review bomb" a title by bombarding it with negative reviews over certain updates, additions, removals, or even issues unrelated to the game itself, such as a developer's political affiliation or choice. In the past, we've seen examples like this for Devotion, a game that had an in-game picture making fun of China's president, which prompted hundreds of users to attack the game for that factor alone. On the other hand, there was also the time where Epic Games secured the latest Metro title as an exclusive, fans went and posted multitudes of positive comments for the game despite it no longer being available on Steam, with a majority of them not even talking about the game, but rather how they wanted to see the Epic Game Store fail.

Valve intends to curb this behavior by making a few changes to how a Steam game's review score is calculated. In the future, the company will remove all "review bombs" from the default store page, which will target all "offtopic" reviews. According to an official post on the Steam forums, an offtopic review is defined by if the content focuses on anything unrelated to the game, like DRM debates, personal developer affiliations, or exclusivity complaints. Whenever a title receives a major influx of negative reviews, Valve staff will individually look into the case, and if they find evidence of review bombing, they'll remove any reviews made during a limited period of time.

In every situation that this occurs, a notice will be posted in order to inform users. Additionally, if you still want to see those reviews, you can simply check a an option in your user settings to allow them to be visible.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (78 replies)
  1. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    As long as I can complain about DRM here and not get removed, I'm okay. :creep:

2. Souliousery

Souliousery Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 5, 2017
    Canada
    This is good, I can form a better opinion of a game!

Full Metal likes this.
  3. KingBlank

KingBlank King of Nothing

Sep 17, 2008
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    DRM Debates... sure, but they better not remove complaints about DRM ruining player experiences and causing technical issues as it often does - that is a completely valid reason to review a game poorly.

CallmeBerto, SS4, Victorum and 15 others like this.
  4. migles

migles All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    China
    Earth-chan
    took them too long.... the reviews area is just a meme fest...

Full Metal and MarkDarkness like this.
  5. kcajjones

kcajjones Member

Newcomer
    Oct 11, 2008
    How you say that EULA and DRM aren't part of a game when you CANNOT play without them (legally), is just plain stupid. Valve need to get their heads checked. Review bombs are real and valid IMHO. If the creator of a game is a convicted criminal and I don't want his work to benefit him then I think that's entirely relevant!

6. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    At least Steam has user reviews in the first place.

...Lookin' at you, Epic Games Store.

7. migles

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    China
    Earth-chan
    it all depends if the person reviews the game as "DrM iS bAd" or makes a proper review where the drm is a valid point to complain..

CallmeBerto and KingBlank like this.
  8. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    but those meme are GOLD, i love reading meme reviews. you still have to be talented to write funny reviews.

Last edited by leon315, Mar 17, 2019
    Souliousery likes this.
  9. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    :P

10. migles

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    China
    Earth-chan
    camel toes? what is this game? now i am curious

11. SonowRaevius

SonowRaevius GBAtemp Regular

Feb 26, 2013
    United States
    Now if metacritic would do the same. It gets so tiring trying to read reviews that deal with the goods and bads of gameplay, and not a bunch of trumped up idiots who never play the games giving it a bad score based on memes, politics (or lack thereof), and pure hatred for a series they just don't like.

It's honestly to the point now where I don't even true reviews and either pirate or rent where available before I make a decision on a purchase I am indecisive over.

12. Zense

Zense GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 20, 2008
    Italy
    Don't worry. Gamers will find a way to reviewbomb and still warn about DRM, without specifically saying drm. No algorithm can outsmart us.

comput3rus3r and Subtle Demise like this.
  13. wurstpistole

wurstpistole I got 8 warning points

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Yet if the review only bombs this and does not reflect the game's quality, then it just makes the game look wrong. And that sucks big time.
    I want to know if the game is good and not if it has Denuvo.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

That's exactly the bullshit I am talking about. Why in the world does this count towards the game's total score. Idiots like this should be suspended from reviewing at all.

osaka35 and migles like this.
  14. 8BitWonder

8BitWonder Small Homebrew Dev

Jan 23, 2016
    United States
    47 4F 54 20 45 45 4D
    Glad they're finally implementing this.

When I go to the review section I want to know if the game is quality or not and if I'd be interested.
    I don't want to see why risen gamers hate drm or a dev at that particular time.

Last edited by 8BitWonder, Mar 17, 2019
    Full Metal and MarkDarkness like this.
  15. wurstpistole

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Also, it should be mandatory that only verfiried owners of the game - meaning having the game in their library - can post reviews.

YOUCANTSTOPME likes this.
  16. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Oh so they're going to censor people who complain about DRM being utter garbage? How pusillanimous.

comput3rus3r likes this.
  17. wurstpistole

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Absolutely correct, since it has nothing to do with the game's quality. I can only vote for it. Sucks to have games appear worse than they are because of some publisher's decision.

Full Metal likes this.
  18. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    DRM does not curtail piracy, because people are going to pirate the games anyway, so what's the point?

19. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    It has always worked like that. The problem is you can buy, write a bad review and refund it.