Utilizing XenonNDS Tools

Discussion in 'NDS - Tutorials' started by jurassicplayer, May 3, 2011.

May 3, 2011

Utilizing XenonNDS Tools by jurassicplayer at 8:24 PM (11,159 Views / 0 Likes) 30 replies

1. jurassicplayer
    OP

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    The Guide to XenonNDS's Tools​
    Worded by Jurassicplayer​

Introduction
    So as none of you know, there was an amazing coder for the better part of a year who worked on various NDS tools as a hobby and used to be known as Xenon++. His research and work on the NDS side of things can be found with two links:

Info on various flashcarts and descriptions for his tools:
    http://leafmoon.users.sourceforge.net/xenonnds/pukiwiki/

Where his tools are uploaded:
    http://leafmoon.users.sourceforge.net/xenonnds/files/

Now, as some of his descriptions may be cryptic or you just don't have a clue as to what his stuff do, this guide is supposed to help and is going to tell you in someone easy to read English, as well as the various things that they can be put to use for. Don't expect a complete guide about every single little file that is available, because some of them don't pertain to NDS, some are older revisions of development libraries, and some I still haven't figured out what they are supposed to be used for. Many of his files also include the source code and might help you learn coding by a margin (at least...it did for me). Being one of the few people that can probably explain what most of the tools do, I've found many of them to be useful to varying degrees and I'm hoping it will help you all as well.

The Tools
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Specific Utilities In-Depth

Building the Right Environment

Other Things to Note

Credits
    Kingdomblade - I shamelessly took the first bit of the formatting from the MS2 skinning guide due to a lack of wanting to do it myself.
    Xenon++ - I wouldn't have anything to talk about with the stuff you have done.
    Jurassicplayer - My sorry self is bringing you this guide because I think Xenon++'s stuff is dam useful.
    Sifjar - For reminding me that Xenon++ also has some PSP stuff there as well (a small number).

-WIP-
    More to come...
    My school stuff is DONE, now it's solid hobby time =D!

2. Mantis41

Member Mantis41 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    [​IMG] Has Taiju allowed the release of his files, last thing I knew they were non-distributable.

I guess you made sure it was ok. I'm just suprised that's all.

3. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    It's direct from the author's own site, so I guess it's OK.

4. Mantis41

United States
    [​IMG] Um...... Er......... Confused...............

Does that mean MAIO, WAIO and several other projects can be resurected?

5. SifJar

United Kingdom
  6. jurassicplayer
    OP

United States
    He allowed it to be released...well because he released it himself on the homebrew bounty rules thread. Obviously barely anyone caught it (not really the stuff that gets written down on the front page)...but you can see the post for yourself here.
    Most (if not all) of these should be compliant with any of the licenses that they are under (I didn't go checking for all of that stuff, but meh they SHOULD be fine).

As for various projects being resurrected...well, he pretty much completely quit the NDS scene shortly after releasing his stuff...as in he doesn't even visit the #ezflash channel anymore TT-TT...so you shouldn't really expect any updates unless an aspiring homebrew dev wants to take a dive at it (Taiju also made some custom libraries...so yeah...). The projects CAN be updated and redistributed...but further updates are totally dependent on a third party now.

-edit-
    So I just updated the first post. M3iZero users with the gmp z003 version, if you could do a little testing on the M3 ninetails, it would be a great help.

7. SifJar

United Kingdom
    This thread is looking pretty useful. I hope you get round to detailing uses of the other files soon.

EDIT: You should maybe add that dsir.7z is PSP related, not NDS related...

8. Mbmax

Member Mbmax Homebrew addicted

Antarctica
    It's a very good idea JP. I'm glad you had it.
    I wish you good luck. [​IMG]

9. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    WHAT!!!! I can use Xenon++ Stuff again because he's (re)released it !?!?!?
    Meaning I can re-use the 'nds.inilink.nds' file from the mshl2tools file ???

Quick - where's that backup of MAIO v3.04 !!!!!!!

10. Mantis41

United States
    I was wondering how long it would take you to catch on.

11. jurassicplayer
    OP

United States
    Right, about that...I was planning on adding how that can be made as well...since the tools to do it are also in there xD...but meh, I have to get through the rest of the stuff before I start on anything else. Also, on that MAIO thing, it's not really a big deal, but you could recompile the nds.inilink.nds to not show the text that it usually does (and change the screen color as well) so that it isn't quite as...obvious as it usually is.

12. CannonFoddr

United Kingdom
    If I knew how to - I would... [​IMG]

Guess we need an idiots step-by-step guide to how to install/setup the required files/programming tools and a How-to compile for something like this !!!

13. jurassicplayer
    OP

United States
    Right...I need to add that stuff later too xD (if I still remember how to anyway...). Anyways, if you want to repack up MAIO or something, you can (here is the inilink.nds that I use, and as for the source, the favlauncher_main.c in Xenon++'s archive is what I used to compile it pretty much...minus the comments and _consolePrint stuff since you obviously aren't going to see them with a picture in the way). Quick note about the inilink, it uses the .bmp images "/moonshl2/extlink/topload.bmp" and "/moonshl2/extlink/bottomload.bmp" (doesn't matter what kind really...). No idea what happens when those images aren't present since I don't care about if those images were missing (I will never have them missing because I LIKE THEM xD).

14. Mantis41

United States
    Thanks Juradsicplayer that inilink looks a lot better without the text. I didn't see any picture though, just a quick white screen before akIAO takes over. Still it's a lot better than the usual brownish screen with scrolling text.

Is there anyway to kill the text as moonshell loads?

15. SifJar

United Kingdom
    With regards to the stuff with r23 and r32 versions; is the r23 versions there to support the cards that newer revisions of devkitARM killed support for (accidently)? (Some slot 2 cards don't work with newer devkitARM revisions, but I'm not sure of exact revision numbers...)

16. jurassicplayer
    OP

United States
    IIRC I think the split with the two revisions was because Moonshell1 wasn't update-able past r23 or something like that...but I could be wrong...

17. CannonFoddr

United Kingdom
    @ JP: oopss - don't know if you've made a mistake when editing or the files are 'down' - but http://leafmoon.users.sourceforge.net/xenonnds/files/ gives '403' message

EDIT: Hmmm weird - get home & the link now works OK - guess it's something @ work that was blocking it or something

18. Mantis41

United States
    Um........... Missed that step
    Thanks

19. avenir

Member avenir GBAtemp Fan

United States
    mshl2tools r23 doesn't support slot2 carts.
    actually xenobox libfatreduce just kills slot2 support for faster load (well, for spinal's r4menu)
    r23 should be used only if you have issues with r32.

20. SifJar

United Kingdom
    So none of this stuff will work with my Max Media Dock then? [​IMG]

Anyway, nice to see you back here.