1. MickMad

OP MickMad Newbie
    Newcomer

Italy
    Hey there,

it's my first post here, I've been living on this forum for the past week after I finally decided to mod my Wii U; thanks for all the people that made this possible.

So, I found out the hard way that you need 2 hard drives (one for Wii U, one for vWii), unless you use Injects which allow to use just one (under Wii U).

But, I also found out that using USB HID controllers on vWii injects is not possible, and this makes me sad.

I've been searching a lot and I stumbled upon Chadderz121's brainslug and wup-028 brainslug module (you can find it on Github)

The former allows to mod games inserted in the disc drive by loading modules, that can also be loaded on a per-game basis; the latter is a brainslug module that basically adds Nintendo's official GCN to USB adapter support to any Wii game that would normally work with the GCN ports on a real Wii.

This got me thinking that maybe it's possible to make a vWii inject that
    1) emulates the game being in the disc drive
    2) loads brainslug
    3) loads the WUP-028-bslug module
    4) runs the game

This would be sorta like using Nintendont with GCN games, but for Wii games.

I have no experience in Wii U/Wii programming, but I do have experience with USB devices development, so I have no idea how the first point would be done (but I've seen something similar done with the GCN VC injects w/ Nintendont, where the game is emulated as being on the SD drive); on the other hand, the 3rd point is very easy: for one, the code for the official controller adapter is there already, so while it wouldn't work with my cheap adapter clone (when used in Switch/WiiU mode), it would help a lot of people that has the official adapter or working clones; secondly, modding the wup-028-bslug module into a more generic USB HID support module wouldn't be a huge task to undertake, given the work already done on Nintendont I'm sure some of its code can be readapted (and my cheap adapter would work since I got it to work properly when in PC mode).

What do you guys think?

2. Olmectron

Olmectron GBAtemp Addict

Mexico
    I've been researching a lot about this. And I'm not experienced in homebrew development at all, but I found this:

https://smashboards.com/threads/wii-gca-inject-pm-on-wii-u-with-gamecube-adapter-beta.453431/

It's an experimental support for an injected Project M, for the GameCube Adapter on Wii U.

Maybe you could try asking the poster there to seek any guidance? Again, I'm not a homebrew developer. Let's hope someone who is still cares about this.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

https://github.com/wilm0x42/wii-gc-adapter-inject

After reading the README in this github link, now I ask myself why has none tried publicly to improve the code for making it out of beta, and streamline the process for building gc supported Wii games injects. Maybe there's not interest at all?

Last edited by Olmectron, Jan 30, 2019
  3. MickMad

OP MickMad Newbie
    Newcomer

Italy
    Yeah I also found this, but I don't understand how this works, how's the code injected etc.

It looks like it runs with GeckoOS only, which again is like brainslug something that can only patch the game loaded from a disc, if I understood correctly; this code also seems a bit more complex than the brainslug one.

Either way, they're both good starting points for the task.

4. reddragon105

reddragon105 GBAtemp Regular

Welcome to the forum! And great timing, because I've spent the last couple of weeks doing injects for my Wii U so that I can get rid of the second hard drive I'm using for Wii and GameCube games (mainly so I can free up some USB ports for the GameCube controller adapter!) and I've been thinking the same thing. I've been experimenting with Classic Controller emulation for the Gamepad and that works really well in most cases, but there are some games that I'd prefer to play with a GameCube controller like I could on the original Wii and like I can in vWii mode, and I was hoping there would be a solution but I couldn't find one.

Unfortunately I have no experience with Wii or Wii U programming either, so I don't think I can be of any help, but I wish you all the best and hope you find a solution because you're not the only one who wants this!

5. W00fer

W00fer Newbie
    Newcomer

Anguilla
    Aurelio at Bitbuilt forums is working on this for the regular Wii, I hope it comes next for vWii when he releases his sources.

6. Jayinem81

Jayinem81 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I agrree a solution for this would be nice. If you're talking about replacing the WIimote there is no solution although someone is working on one for Wii only (not Wii U at least yet) If you are talking about just emulating the classic controller for Wii games that support it and Wiiware, I just my wavebird with a Mayflash GC Adapter on Amazon (about $20) it attaches to the end of the Wiimote and lets you emulate Gamecube controllers as classic controllers. This does work with injects.

7. W00fer

W00fer Newbie
    Newcomer

Anguilla
    Doesn't it work with Nintendon't?

8. Jayinem81

Jayinem81 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Yeah but I think you need a config for it to work.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - possible, injects, Using