Using two SD cards for different games

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by SWATlozar, May 14, 2017.

1. SWATlozar
    OP

SWATlozar Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2016
    Croatia
    So, I've been using a 32 GB microSD card with an adapter on a O3DS for like a year or so, and now I reached my limit and I don't have any space left. My 3DS is updated on the latest version and has the most recent version of A9LH. I bought a lot of large games that fill my SD card pretty quickly (Resident Evil Revelations, Bravely Default and such). Now I bought another 32 GB SD card which I want to use for my future games and then switch between the SD cards whenever I want to play a specific game. However, what am I supposed to do now?

I want to keep my old SD card completely intact. Will moving all content from the old SD card to the new one and deleting the games on the new one, but leaving the same games on the old SD card work? I don't want doing any damage to my 3DS.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Out of the topic, how can I do a backup of my saves? I got all my saves wiped out once and I'd rather it won't happen again.

Last edited by SWATlozar, May 14, 2017
  2. Lonsdale1086

Lonsdale1086 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 12, 2017
  3. SWATlozar
    OP

SWATlozar Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2016
    Croatia
    Okay, thanks. I'll check that save file manager.
    I'd rather not buy a card higher than 32GB because they're SDXC and that might be a problem. Also, SDXC cards are pretty expensive. I have those two so I don't want them to go to waste.

I tried it and didn't have any issues (for now, at least). I copied all the files from my old SD card to my new one and deleted the games on my new SD card. The saves seem fine, so where do the saves actually save? To the SD card or the console itself?

4. Lonsdale1086

Lonsdale1086 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 12, 2017
    Cards over 32GB are totally fine, but you need to format them with a different programme.
    However I can understand you wanting to make use of them both.

The saves are saved to the card, SD:/JKSV/Saves/[Title]/[Slot Dir]

5. SWATlozar
    OP

SWATlozar Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2016
    Croatia
    I backed up a few saves and it worked perfectly. Cheers to the person who made that tool.
    But what I actually asked was if the save (not the backup) from a cia game saves to the SD card or console.

Last edited by SWATlozar, May 14, 2017
  6. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    It saves to the SD card.