ROM Hack Using Command Prompt Guidefor JUS Patch

Vanbandit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so i'm not a complete idiot to programming and such, but i am new to this command prompt somewhat, and everytime i follow the steps exactly in this guide, i get windows message that the file type is unkown and not supported...so what is wrong here? me or my computer?

Mac2492

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For those who don't want to bother with the command line... (even though you get to brag about being geeky if you know how to use it xD)

Copy and paste the following into a text file, then change ".txt" in the file's name to ".bat". This creates a batch file. For more information on batch files, go here.

Code:
@echo off
cd %~dp0
cls
set /p %pname="Patched File Name = "
dpspatcher.exe %1 "%pname%.nds" *.dps

Yes, it's that short. Make sure that this batch file is in the same directory as "dpspatcher.exe". Also, make sure that there is only ONE dps file and that the patch file is also in the same directory as this ".bat" file. Why? Because I made it so that it scans the batch file's current directory for any file ending with ".dps". The downside is that having multiple dps files in the same directory as the batch file will mess things up. The upside is that you can name the dps file to "fluffy bunnies.dps" and the batch file will still detect it. ^,^

DO NOT CHANGE THE NAME OF "dpspatcher.exe". There's no way to have this program auto-detected without using something unnecessarily complex like an MD5 hash check.

After that, you can just drag the Jump! Ultimate Stars rom onto the batch file.

EDIT: Super short version.
Code:
cd %~dp0
dpspatcher.exe %1 "%~n1 (Patched).nds" *.dps

EDIT: I made an AppleScript script (duh) for the Mac. Enjoy. ^,^
Code:
set dpspatcher_location to (choose file with prompt "Select the DPS Patcher application. (It has no file extension)")
set dpspatcher_path to quoted form of POSIX path of (dpspatcher_location)
set jusrom_location to (choose file with prompt "Select the Jump! Ultimate Stars rom.")
set jusrom_path to quoted form of POSIX path of (jusrom_location)
set dps_location to (choose file with prompt "Select the DPS patch location.")
set dps_path to quoted form of POSIX path of (dps_location)
display dialog "Enter a name for the patched file.
(Do not add .nds to the end!)
Note: It is normal to receive an error
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ after the patch is complete! The
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ patch process still works." default answer ""
set patchedrom_name to quoted form of POSIX path of (text returned of result)
set save_location to (choose folder with prompt "Select save location.")
set save_path to quoted form of POSIX path of (save_location)
tell application "Finder" to open {save_location}
activate application "MacOSX DPS Utility"
do shell script dpspatcher_path & " " & jusrom_path & " " & save_path & patchedrom_name & ".nds " & dps_path
To use it, just open up Script Editor, paste the code in, and save the file as an application.
(The Script Editor Application is located in /Applications/AppleScript/Script Editor.app)
If you seriously can't find it, Press Command (Apple) + Shift + G and paste in "/Applications/AppleScript/" (no quotes). If you STILL can't find it, you might want to get a new pair of eyes.

EDIT: If you're STILL lost, here are all the files in one package.
Download (Cross-Platform for the win!)
Last Updated: March 1, 2008
EDIT: Merged all Windows patchers into one! (See Instructions file for more information on this...
EDIT: Made the Windows patcher much more powerful, but no more complicated!
EDIT: Added Location option to Windows batch file. =)
EDIT: Added "Scan" feature which allows you to auto-patch from another folder.
EDIT: Fixed corrupted AppleScript problem... I think. Also, I made the script open up your chosen save directory! (It took a bit of tweaking, since the "patch complete" text is interpreted as an error. I had to make it open up the directory before patching, then switch itself to the front to that you can easily press "Enter" to close the "Patch Complete" *error*.
Note: The batch files posted at the top of this post still work, but they are no longer included in this package. Worry not... All of that functionality is still there!
This contains "dpspatcher.exe", "dpspatcher" (for MacOSX Leopard), the Windows batch files, and the compiled MacOSX script. The translation patch and the rom are NOT included. The translation patch is not included because it will be VERY outdated in a few days. You can trust me on that. The rom isn't included for obvious reasons. xP

MediaFire scans for viruses already, but feel free to scan it again if you're scared. If you're really scared, go ahead and compile the code yourself. It's painfully simple anyway.
wacko.gif

Oh, and don't want both MacOSX and Windows files? Too bad. The entire zip file is 32kb. I could transfer that myself with a pencil and a piece of paper. (And a few hours of wasted life...) Even if you have dial-up, this file will be downloaded in less than a minute. If you have an internet connection that isn't from the stone age, the download will finish before you have a chance to blink.

I hope this helps. =)

P.S. If you're running Unix (or any off-shoot of it), you should be geeky enough to do this on your own.
wink.gif

Mac2492

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I added that file into the package. ^,^... I'm using Leopard, so I can't see if it actually works.

Thanks for suggesting that it does, though. I left it out mainly because I wasn't sure if it actually worked.

Mac2492

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The command line program allows you to apply dps patches to nds roms. (Simple enough)

The instructions on the first page tell you have to use the command line to use the patching programs.

The utilities I posted allow you to use the patching programs without any command line knowledge.

Mac2492

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
By the way...

I recommend:

1) Learning how to actually use these programs with the command line.
2) Using deufeufeu's patcher until you fail.
3) Use my scripts/utilities as REFERENCE so that you can create your own script files.
Why mine? It's not because they're *better*. It's simply because I already created scripts for processes that you're going to be making the scripts for. If something in your script doesn't work, you can double check it off of mine. Copying and pasting is OKAY, but it's better if you type it in yourself so that you can commit these things to memory. So... I recommend using the scripts I posted earlier as a reference simply because they're going to be similar to what you're making. (And they do work)

Unless you learn how to do this stuff on your own, you're going to be completely dependent on others to create GUIs, scripts, and other automation processes for things that are painfully simple.

Let's say that dpspatcher is on the Desktop.

Windows:
1) Goto Start -> Run -> Type in "cmd" and press return
(Or go to Start -> Accessories -> Command Prompt)
If you can find the actual program on your own, you probably don't need my help.
The command prompt should open.

2) Basic commands...
CODEcd
Navigates to that directory.
Code:
cd ..
Navigates one directory back.
Code:
dir
Displays contents of the directory.
Code:
help
Gives a list of commands.

3) By default, the command prompt should have navigated to your Documents and Settings folder.
(DRIVE:\Documents and Settings\YOURUSERNAME)

4) The patcher is on the Desktop, right? Normally, you can't just type in "cd Desktop" because the actual path to your Desktop is "DRIVE:\Documents and Settings\YOURUSERNAME\Desktop". Do you notice how the Desktop folder is located in the folder that's already navigated to? Type in "dir". You'll see that the "Desktop" folder is there. This means that you CAN just type in "cd Desktop" because "Desktop" is located in the directory that you navigated to. So... Type in "cd Desktop" now. The path should change.

5) The patcher should be on the desktop. If it isn't, navigate to the folder that it IS in. Now... Type "dpspatcher.exe" (With nothing else). Most applications give the syntax they require to use when you run them without any extra parameters.

Error said:
Bad parameters. Usage :
dpspatcher.exe

How do you use this now? Well, it's quite simple. First you type in "dpspatcher.exe"

Code:
dpspatcher.exe

Now you want the original rom file. Add a space, then type out the path to the rom file. If the rom is in the same folder, you can just type it's name. If the name has spaces, MAKE SURE TO ADD QUOTES AROUND THE NAME! Do not leave out extensions! Oh, and feel free to just drag the rom file onto the command prompt. This will give you its full path in quotes. ^,^

Code:
dpspatcher.exe "Jump! Ultimate Stars.nds"
Note: Your name will probably differ.

Now you want the "patched rom file". This doesn't exist, does it? This means you're just telling the command line where you want to save it and what you want the file to be called. Feel free to type in a certain path for the file to be saved in. For this example, I'm just going to enter in a name. The file will be saved in the same folder as "dpspatcher.exe".

Code:
dpspatcher.exe "Jump! Ultimate Stars.nds" "Jump! Ultimate Stars (Patched).nds"

Finally, you want input the dps patch to apply. Input this similarly to how you inputted the original rom. (Type in its path/name OR drag and drop it)

Code:
dpspatcher.exe "Jump! Ultimate Stars.nds" "Jump! Ultimate Stars (Patched).nds" "jus-eng-dev01_03_08.dps"

Now you have all the parameters. Press enter and let it rip!

Creating a "batch" file:

There's not enough room to give you full instructions in creating batch files, so I'll just give you some hints if you actually want to learn...

1) %0 gives the path and name of the BATCH FILE.
2) %1 gives the path and the name of a file dragged onto the batch file.
3) You can add parameters to these...
"%~d0" Would give the drive of the batch file. (Replacing 0 with 1 will give the drive of the file dragged onto the batch file)
You can stack parameters (like "%~dp0")
d = drive
p = path
n = name
That's all you should really need. There are more parameters for this command, but I never memorized them.
4) Double colons denote "comments" that are ignored when the programs actually runs.
Code:
@echo off
echo PIE ::Will display "PIE"
pause ::Pauses the script. Useful for checking errors!
5) Create variables!
[code]@echo off
set ilikepie=You said
echo Say something!
set /p %variablename= 
ÂÂÂÂ::%variablename will be changed into the inputted text.
echo.
echo %ilikepie%, "%variablename%".
ÂÂÂÂ:Will display... You said, "input".
pause

Putting this all together...

Code:
@echo off
cd %~dp0
ÂÂÂÂ::Navigates to the directory of the batch file
cls
ÂÂÂÂ::Clears the screen
echo Enter in a new name!
ÂÂÂÂ::Displays "Enter in a new name!"
set /p %pname=
ÂÂÂÂ::Sets variable %pname to inputted text.
echo.
ÂÂÂÂ::Line break
dpspatcher.exe %1 "%pname%.nds" jus-eng-dev*.dps
ÂÂÂÂ::Runs dpspatcher.exe (must be in the same folder as the batch file, because we navigated to that directory at the beginning of the script...). %1 is the path to the file dragged on it, remember? This will automatically put that into the parameters. %pname% is the name that was entered just before. See how ".nds" is appended and quotes were added? This is because text with spaces NEEDS quotes around it or it will be interpreted incorrectly. The final touch was "jus-eng-dev*.dps". * is a wildcard. If ANYTHING (no matter how long) is in place of that * but the surrounding text is the same, it will be interpreted! Alternatively, you can use ? as a single character wildcard.

For Mac users...
1) Open up Terminal. (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app)
2) MacOSX is Unix-based, so the commands will be essentially identical (please correct me if I'm wrong) to Unix commands.
You can actually use the Windows instructions I gave above to patch files! (Drag and Drop, even)

Minor differences...
dir -> ls (use "ls" to display directory contents, not "dir"!)
Starts in "/Users/YOURUSERNAME"
Uses slashes instead of back slashes
dpspatcher instead of dpspatcher.exe

If you want to know more commands, type in "help". If you want to know more about a command, type in "help COMMAND" (replace COMMAND with the command name, obviously). If that doesn't work, use "man -k COMMAND".

If the resulting "help" text just blows your mind, feel free to search online for some simpler explanation of these commands. >,>

You cannot create batch files in MacOSX. Instead, you'll probably want to try creating an AppleScript. I'm not very familiar with the language, because it's TOO simple. That's right. It's so simple that I'm having trouble with it. I'm used to simple coding languages, but this is even easier. The syntax is just bizarre to me.

Code:
display dialog "Oh noes!" buttons {"No more steak!", "No more pie!"} default button 2

Simple, no?

If you want to learn more about AppleScript, I recommend that you go and look up some guides online (or use the built-in documentation). It's a nifty language to start with. I'm not sure I would recommend it if you want to be a serious coder, but I think it's perfect for those who just want to dabble in text. It's very... human.

I hope this helped you guys actually understand some of the commands you'll be using. From here on out, it's up to you to discover more tricks and commands you can use.

I'll finish with a nifty way to use %~n1. (Windows Batch File)
Code:
@echo off
cd %~dp0
ciso.exe 9 %1 "%~dpn1.cso"

Notice something? The output extension is different from the input extension. If you're using a command line program to convert videos from one format to another, this will also be the case. What does this script do, then? It simply makes the output name the same as the input name, but changes the extension to the appropriate one.

Wondering why I added "dp" in there? GOOD! Now you're thinking creatively. In fact, the script would work fine if it read.

CODE@echo off
cd %~dp0
ciso.exe 9 %1 "%~n1.cso"

HOWEVER... What happens when the input file is in another folder? That's right... The output file will go to the same folder as the batch file (and ciso.exe, necessarily) rather than folder of the input file. Thus, I added the "dp" so that it would save to the save drive and path as the input file!

P.S. If you don't get anything, feel free to PM me.

Also... If you feel that my "Mac" guide is short, I'm sorry. The steps really are nearly identical. (For our purposed) The commands are VERY different, but the commands we're using aren't! I'm equally comfortable with MacOSX and Windows. I simply started with a Windows guide because more people use Windows. If you're a Mac user and would like a step-by-step for this stuff, just PM me and I'll see if we can talk.

Oh, and I'm not scripting/programming wiz. I'm decent with basic commands, but no where near the level of people like deufeufeu. I simply enjoy teaching others, and I have a very good grasp of that which I DO know.

Jamesg91

Trophies
XP
Country
I got an error saying i wasnt using origonal rom, i think the one i downloaded may be trimmed. Can anyone tell me the exact size of the origonal rom please.
Thankyou

maypoler

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i used the dpspatcher.exe with gui and the 3_03_08 dps patch. i patched my game successfully, according to the dpspatcher, but when i try to run it on my ds nothing happens. the screens stay white and no matter how long i wait it doesnt move at all. did i do something wrong?

Ice Cold

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
maypoler said:
i used the dpspatcher.exe with gui and the 3_03_08 dps patch. i patched my game successfully, according to the dpspatcher, but when i try to run it on my ds nothing happens. the screens stay white and no matter how long i wait it doesnt move at all. did i do something wrong?

What flashcart are you using may I ask?

Zanzan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maypoler said:

Same thing has happend to me, im using a mac and and R4. Any suggestions?

Darkman.exe213

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
setya5785 said:
64,0 MB (67.108.864 bytes)
I actually have the ROM file with the exact same size, and I entered it properly into the black window, but I still got this:

errorBad parameters. Usage :
dpspatcher.exe

Anyone know what the problem is? Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)