• Likes 13

EvilG31

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not permanent, tho.

The only issue I ran into was related to FinalBurn Alpha and the Neo Geo bios. The square "flickering" during neo geo games persisted AFTER I left the emulator, and even after rebooting the console. It was only corrected when I started a sega genesis game in the new version of FinalBurn instead of a neo-geo game.

Reactions: I_doTinySoldering

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Isn't Innolux a LG brand? LG is known to put out bad (IPS only I think) LCD batches occasionally that has image retention issues.
AUO should make good screens, it's what people hope for in the laptop screen lottery.
Anyway I tried leaving mine on for 2 hours last night and there was no burn-in.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What the... I didn't know LCDs could get burn-in. It's not OLED like the original PS Vita. Sounds fake to me. Maybe it's someone looking to prevent use of HBL (hint, hint, big N).

PS: I can't tell from that picture if it is the handheld screen or a plasma tv/OLED tv (which are severely prone to burn-ins).
LCD also suffers from burn-in, but it's rare...

My friend expensive Samsung 1080p from like 2008 has the PS4 menu burned permanently on the screen, but he sleeps with the console on the menu all night :)...

And even nowadays strangely some LCDs suffer from temporary image retention for a few minutes, on rtings.com I saw one branded LCD 4k TV that had slight temporary image retention which even them claimed to be strange on a LCD, it probably was a crappy IPS one...

EvilG31

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still do not understand how this happens. I just kept my Switch on for 30 minutes on the home menu, and I didn't got any king of "burn-in" or "persistance"

run the first release of FBA with the neo-geo bios added. Then you'll see all kinds of weird issues. :) I don't think it was "burn-in" as much as something being stuck in the LCD controller's memory, or some kind of left-over rendering by the GPU.

I'm not exactly sure how this is possible - but mine persisted between reboots on the switch until I ran a game in FBA that didn't require the neogeo bios.

Last edited by EvilG31,

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still do not understand how this happens. I just kept my Switch on for 30 minutes on the home menu, and I didn't got any king of "burn-in" or "persistance"
30 min showing the same image is nothing for an LCD... theres a expensive tv LCD led in a local bar here that has Hollywood channel symbol burned permanently from using the tv 4 years on that channel most of the time.

I have worked with hundreds of lcds and only saw rare cases of permanent burn-in on LCD, but you can be sure they happen mostly because of bad use...

Now image retention for like 10min on LCD is not much normal, but theres really some nasty or defective LCDs that have them even on some crappy recent UHD TVs which even on rtings.com they got surprised since some models are behaving almost like OLED on image retention over a small period of time and maybe those rare cases might leave the LCD panel to have a permanent burn in problem soon.

Personally I never had image retention problem or burn in on any of my crap ccfl or led Lcds ips or va, but I always used to use a screen saver and nowadays 5min to shut off screen on desktop, 30 sec on android devices and 2min on the laptops. even my 2004 crap samtron lcd with a lot of use never gave any problems...

Last edited by guily6669,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why does Nintendo do this shit where they just throw whatever cheapass screens they can into their devices? Not even the same consistent cheapass screen, like ANY cheap screen they can get their hands on and toss on their devices. The whole IPS/TN display thing on 3DS is horrid. The quality on these things get worse every generation. FFS

EvilG31

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why does Nintendo do this shit where they just throw whatever cheapass screens they can into their devices? Not even the same consistent cheapass screen, like ANY cheap screen they can get their hands on and toss on their devices. The whole IPS/TN display thing on 3DS is horrid. The quality on these things get worse every generation. FFS

I have two switches - the color temperature is drastically different between the screens. One is very cool - the other is practically orange.

HOWEVER - the burn in issues aren't nintendo's fault or the screen's fault. This is a software issue that the emulator/exploit caused. (From a technical standpoint, it's not really burn-in)

Last edited by EvilG31,

MK73DS

Non-commutative algebra
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
run the first release of FBA with the neo-geo bios added. Then you'll see all kinds of weird issues. :) I don't think it was "burn-in" as much as something being stuck in the LCD controller's memory, or some kind of left-over rendering by the GPU.

I'm not exactly sure how this is possible - but mine persisted between reboots on the switch until I ran a game in FBA that didn't require the neogeo bios.

Ok, so it is not the screen's fault but something like framebuffer's one.
While reading (most of) the thread, I thought it was the screen itself "burning" because of long periods of still images. Thanks :D

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah it might be that, my 3DS with gateway sometimes when it breaks while loading into emunand sometimes make the screen all blurred for a bit of time even after turning off and On, but it rarely happens and then goes back to normal.

However you can still be warned that temporary and permanent LCD can happen, but it's just too rare to consider, most permanent burns are from displaying an image for days and days, after a year or so it can get burned permanently.

Last edited by guily6669,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well, people who do use homebrew, should know that there may be inherent risks and that no party should be held responsible for anything that goes wrong. If they want to keep costs down, they can't use high end IPS screens either, so..yeah. They knew there were risks, homebrew is still very experimental.

D

Deleted User

what of any of the currently available homebrew could someone possibly be using for so long they get burn in?

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Will tiny soldering fix this problem?

When in doubt, always try tiny soldering as a solution. Stop world hunger? Tiny solder it. Trump building a wall? Tiny soldering. Randomizer complaining about things not being available on the latest firmware? Tiny soldering helps.
OMG. That dude is never gonna be forgotten. It's a gbatemp exclusive meme.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ