Use serial# to find drive chip?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Veloxi, Aug 26, 2008.

Aug 26, 2008

Use serial# to find drive chip? by Veloxi at 2:51 AM (1,635 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

  1. Veloxi
    OP

    Member Veloxi GBAtemp Regular

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2008
    Messages:
    118
    Location:
    North Carolina
    Country:
    Iceland
    I'm finally set on getting a chip, most likely wiikey/clip since it's easy and all I care about is booting up my games. No need for watching dvds or anything else. Oh, and hopefully I can update it as well to make sure new games don't prevent me from booting.

    Anyway, I don't have a triwing, and I'm not willing to wait a week to get my screwdriver just to check my board, then another week to get my chip, that's lame. Someone told me you can find your board type by using the serial #, and I found a site, but I'm not too sure if this is a fact or just some joke.

    Anyone have an idea?

    Thankies [​IMG]
     
  2. LagunaCid

    Member LagunaCid GBAtemp Fan

    Joined:
    May 14, 2008
    Messages:
    370
    Country:
    Canada
    Yeah, I think it is a fact.
     
  3. fiveighteen

    Member fiveighteen High Hopes and Low Expectations

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2008
    Messages:
    1,750
    Country:
    United States
    It's a fact. It might not tell you exactly what it is, but it will tell you what it probably is. Basically, it's a compilation of many people who have submitted their serial number and what their drive chip actually is. It then tells you (after you enter your serial number) what the odds of your drive chip being DMS, D2A, etc. based on how close your serial number is to other Wii's and what their drive chips are.
     
  4. Veloxi
    OP

    Member Veloxi GBAtemp Regular

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2008
    Messages:
    118
    Location:
    North Carolina
    Country:
    Iceland
    I don't have much money right now, I'll be bummed if I order a chip and it doesn't work [​IMG]
     
  5. fiveighteen

    Member fiveighteen High Hopes and Low Expectations

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2008
    Messages:
    1,750
    Country:
    United States
    What I would do is check your serial number and see what it tells you. There's a possibility that there may be enough submitted serial numbers that it's 100% sure you have a certain drive chip. Also, remember that the same chip works for DMS/D2A/D2B, so if it says "40% sure it's DMS and 60% sure it's a D2A", you have nothing to worry about.

    Otherwise, just take a gamble and order what you think, but take apart the Wii with the tri-wing screwdriver BEFORE opening the chip packaging . Then look for sure and if you ordered the wrong one you can just send it back and get the one you need. [​IMG]
     
  6. Veloxi
    OP

    Member Veloxi GBAtemp Regular

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2008
    Messages:
    118
    Location:
    North Carolina
    Country:
    Iceland
    It says:

    Your Drive Chip is most likely GC2-D2B.

    There is a 25% chance that the pins on your drive chip are not cut and a 75% chance that that they are cut.

    I'm not sure what the pin-cutting part means, but that's supposedly my chip. Doesn't give me a % [​IMG]
     
  7. Veloxi
    OP

    Member Veloxi GBAtemp Regular

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2008
    Messages:
    118
    Location:
    North Carolina
    Country:
    Iceland
    Well, I think I'm going to take a chance and order this damned thing. If it shows up and it's wrong I'll just hope they let me trade... ModChipCentral seems like a decent place, but if anyone recommends another place to get a Wiikey/Wiiclip please suggest something [​IMG]

    I am pretty sure the Wiikey is ancient, but it seems good.
     
  8. fiveighteen

    Member fiveighteen High Hopes and Low Expectations

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2008
    Messages:
    1,750
    Country:
    United States
    I'd wait on ordering for right now until you're sure it's what you want. I'm not 100% positive, but I think cut pins means you can't get a Wii Clip; I think you have to solder. Might want to wait for somebody else to jump in this topic and help you out with that.

    I do recommend WiiKey and ModchipCentral though.
     
  9. Veloxi
    OP

    Member Veloxi GBAtemp Regular

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2008
    Messages:
    118
    Location:
    North Carolina
    Country:
    Iceland
    Bah... all of this stuff is just confusing. Buying a modchip for Wii gives me an even bigger headache than buying a card for my DS [​IMG]
     
  10. BiscuitCookie

    Member BiscuitCookie GBAtemp Fan

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2008
    Messages:
    330
    Location:
    Netherlands, Gelderland
    Country:
    Netherlands
  11. linuxares

    Member linuxares GBAtemp Maniac

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2007
    Messages:
    1,370
    Country:
    Sweden
  12. Veloxi
    OP

    Member Veloxi GBAtemp Regular

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2008
    Messages:
    118
    Location:
    North Carolina
    Country:
    Iceland
    This is just ridiculous

    There is a 50% chance the chipset is GC2-D2B (no cut pins or missing pad).
    And there is also a 25% chance the chipset is GC2-D2C (v1).
    Lastly, a 25% chance the chipset is GC2-D2B with cut pins and missing third pad.

    Hell, I'd be better off to just say screw it.
     
  13. linuxares

    Member linuxares GBAtemp Maniac

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2007
    Messages:
    1,370
    Country:
    Sweden
    Look at my post... The Wasabi works with all drivechipsets! DMS/D2A/D2B(Cut and Uncut)/D2C/D2C2/D2E.
    Go with the Wasabi and Gogo! [​IMG]
     
  14. Veloxi
    OP

    Member Veloxi GBAtemp Regular

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2008
    Messages:
    118
    Location:
    North Carolina
    Country:
    Iceland
    It's so expensive [​IMG]

    $45+ more than the wiikey solution! plus I've never soldered in my life and I have to with this. BAHHH

    /wrist
     
  15. Slowking

    Member Slowking GBAtemp Maniac

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2006
    Messages:
    1,396
    Country:
    Germany
    Just open your Wii up and look at the Chip. You'll see whether or not it's a D2B and whether or not the Pins are cut. You should allways do this before you order the chip...
    If it's a D2B with uncut legs get a Free-Clip, if they are cut, get a Wasabi, D2Pro or D2Sun, with their corresponding clips.
     
  16. fiveighteen

    Member fiveighteen High Hopes and Low Expectations

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2008
    Messages:
    1,750
    Country:
    United States
    I agree with Slowking. With the dilemma you're in, I'd just order a triwing and wait a week to get it, then open up the Wii and see what you're working with. Make your decision from there.

    It's the best solution in the long run. Who knows, you might not have to solder after all.
     
  17. Veloxi
    OP

    Member Veloxi GBAtemp Regular

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2008
    Messages:
    118
    Location:
    North Carolina
    Country:
    Iceland
    Nintendo can official burn in hell. I found a tri-wing at my local Ace Hardware, and everything is going smooth until I peel back the rubber feet and expose 2 silver screws buried an inch into the plastic body of the Wii. Low and behold, I can't get them out. Nintendo can officially suck my white ass.
     
  18. MiloFoxburr

    Member MiloFoxburr GBAtemp Regular

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2002
    Messages:
    281
    Location:
    Ireland
    Country:
    Ireland
    Nintendo sure do suck for making it more difficult for you to play games for free. [​IMG]. Try a different screwdriver TriWings are pretty damn cheap

    -edit- On reading the thread again wow you really are impatient if you can't wait a week or two for something
     
  19. Veloxi
    OP

    Member Veloxi GBAtemp Regular

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2008
    Messages:
    118
    Location:
    North Carolina
    Country:
    Iceland
    Only reason is because I'm leaving for the Air Force not too long from now, so I'd like to play some games before I'm off

    I don't mind waiting normally, but come on [​IMG]

    There's always my DS I guess [​IMG]
     
  20. Slowking

    Member Slowking GBAtemp Maniac

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2006
    Messages:
    1,396
    Country:
    Germany
    The sivler screws are probably normal philips heads. Try a normal screwdriver. [​IMG]
     

Share This Page