Usb Y cable with CFG USB Loader

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by nomercy, Aug 12, 2011.

Aug 12, 2011
  1. nomercy
    OP

Newcomer nomercy Advanced Member

Canada
    I have been using a usb Y cable with my external hard drive and I was wondering if it is even working correctly because CFG usb Loader only uses Port 0
    and Port 1 is shut off

2. brausm08

Member brausm08 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    ...the power is 'on' to both ports, but only the one (port 0) is data read/write....

is your y cable just one of those power boost cables? ...i use one too. ...power boost cables only have 1 data plug....just make sure that one is plugged into port 0...the other is for added power only and isn't really necessary unless you are extending a portable HDD on a long extension cable.

3. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    Brausm08 is correct; Port0 supplies power and data, while port1 only supplies power.

...In most homebrew that is. For games like Guitar Hero, data transmission is active for both ports.

And by the way, the easiest way to tell if it's working correctly is to do what you normally do. If it appears fine, it's most likely fine.

4. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

Most homebrew can use either port for any purpose. Only when a cios is used is there a difference between the port capabilities; the outside port is used for USB2 while the inside port remains USB1.1. In either case power may be shut off to the port even while something is plugged in, however in practice this is only implemented in IOS58 for inactive devices.