USB Reader with CycloDS

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by StellaCaelum5, Apr 12, 2009.

Apr 12, 2009

USB Reader with CycloDS by StellaCaelum5 at 7:06 PM (1,092 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. StellaCaelum5
    OP

Newcomer StellaCaelum5 Member

United States
    I just bought a CycloDS from DealWoot.com. Their shipping was fast and the price was competitive ($46.99+freeSH compared to RHS' $46+freeSH, I chose DW because the time I ordered they shipped it the same day and I got it the next day in San Diego.) I'm kind of disappointed by the microSD USB card reader they sent, though. It's a cheapy plastic with an non-flushed insertion slot. It's really unimpressive. I was looking forward to having the sleek-looking silver thing with the "CycloDS" brand on it- which is depicted in the images of the carts sold on DealWoot as well as the main CycloDS page.

Did anyone get this switch out with Dealwoot? Does RHS sell with the original USB reader? I might just return it to DW and purchase from RHS. I know it seems petty but if I'm paying almost $50 for a flash cart (when competitors are, at minimum, $10 less expensive) then I'd like it to have the bells and whistles I was advertised. Everyone says such great things about DW, why would they cheap out on a USB card reader?

2. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    I'm sure it doesn't really matter. All the card reader suck anyways. You're always better off with a separately bought one.

3. DrkXShadowZ

Newcomer DrkXShadowZ Member

United States
    I purchased mine from realhotstuff and was able to get my hands on the silver type. As cool as that sounds, it does have a slight defect. The slot for the microSD card is somewhat tilted, so when I insert the microSD, I have to insert it at an odd angle. Eventually got used to it, though I'd prefer something a bit more normal.

4. Sui77

Newcomer Sui77 Member

Australia
    I bought my CycloDS from Modchipmonster (Aussie website). The USB reader that came with it is a generic one, but it works fine, and I've had absolutely no problems with it.

5. TraumaHoundNDS

Member TraumaHoundNDS GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I got my CycloDS from DealWoot about a year ago and I got the shiny Cyclo-branded USB reader. It works great, haven't had an issue with any of the USB readers I've gotten with my flashcarts (R4DS, CycloDS, and Acekard2i.) You should at least shoot them an email about it, see what's what.

6. Invalidated

Newcomer Invalidated Newbie

United States
    I purchased my CycloDS also from DealWoot and I got the silver USB. I have never used it since I my Sandisk microSD came with a better and smaller USB adapter. The only thing I don't like about the CycloDS reader is that the microSD pretty much sticks halfway out when it's inserted. To me, it's fine as long as it works.