Hacking usb powered external HD's

ModderFokker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This is the one i got @ Amazon.com So I wouldnt see a reason why that 500gb wouldnt work
moogle.gif

rkoo6c.jpg

Sorry for the lousy pic but im suffering from a major hangover
biggrin.gif

wiimano

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that seagate looks nice, wd passport looks like too much work for me mate, but nice set up there in the pic, never have placed my wii on its side, any better?

manias, i like the seagate, so its that simple, nothin to open up, just adjust easily and this is a very well compatible one with usb loader? right now, i have a drive that works, but it has to "waiting for usb device" and its getting annoyin, so i like this seagate so far here

manias

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
ModderFokker said:
Dont know ..lol

All i know it works
biggrin.gif

(havent experienced any of the problems mentioned in http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=146789&st=75 as well)

Should those problems occur when pausing a game ?
Because if played a pal patched Rune Factory Frontier for hrs.
For me it happened in some games only.. like mario galaxy after an hour or so.. quite random!
Or broken sword after 15mins.. weird weird.

wiimano: yeah from what i've read that's the easiest one for the usbloader, but I just ordered mine so can't speak from experience yet
smile.gif

manias

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
yeah, since seagate bought maxtor all the timeout software can also be used on maxtor drives so those are good also

palasx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i know everyone is talkign about usb powered HDDs, but i felt the need to add that this is the WII we're talking about. there arent 250gb of decent games, let alone decent games you'd want to play through more than once!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820227333

18 bucks for a 16gb flash drive, will hold about 8-10 average wii games, 5-6 larger ones. no external power required, hides nicely behind wii, can be completely forgotten about until its time to swap games.

wiimano

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you will have to let me know when you get yours, i like the seagate one the most so far. its nice how it has its own docking station as well if you need it. you think it would be safe to put on top of wii? or would it get too hot?

hdhacker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To anyone reading this:

Don't listen to the people recommending the Western Digital "My Passport Essentials" drives. There's an excellent chance it will lock up your game if it spins down and the only way to fix it is to open the case and void your warranty. I should know, I bought one and had to do it. Also, the newer hardware revisions do NOT contain a SATA hard drive, so you can't fix it if you have the spindown problem.

The Seagate has a 5 year warranty while the WD has 3. The FreeAgent Go and My Passport Essentials are the same size and both run off of USB power. I personally can't recommend the Seagate because I don't own it, but please avoid WD.

wiimano

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im goin seagate route, waitin for manias to give his thoughts on it when he gets it, dont like WD after what i have read now, thanks mate

IzzehO

Trophies
XP
Country
I must give my thumbs down to the 320 gb WD Passport. I purchased it 6 months ago and it's been nothing but problem after problem after problem. First of all the cable I had went fritz after the first 2 weeks - I had to use my old camera cable. Not having taken that as a sign I continued to use it and well - its only gone down hill. It randomly will die and start making clicking sounds, some times it won't work at all to start with, some computers refuse to even recognize it unless I sit there for 45 minutes plugging and unplugging it and finally - I've found it much slower than other solutions out there. Finally, the usb only powered ones have no fans and overheat like a bitch - if your like me and live in a hotter climate it will hate you.

Oh and also - I don't believe I have a defective one as a friend of mine has the same issues with his 500gb one.

I finally gave up today actually, while I was at officeworks I noticed a seagate 750GB with power cable needed. It has two fans in and it cost me around 140AUD (10AUD cheaper than the 320GB one I already had). I'm hoping it turns out alright, but at the moment I really couldn't care so long as I don't have to use the damn WD one anymore. It's bigger, noiser and needs power - but if you aren't using it for a laptop on the go - why not?

kangarookangaroo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anyone recommend a usb powered external HD for $50 or less? I don't have many games so I don't need a crazy amount of space. So yah, a good HD for $50 or less that is reliable and works with the usb loader.

fruitgull

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have bought a Seagate FreeAgent Go V2 USB 250GB after much reading on this forum. Will report when I get it.
I didn't get the first disk I got, Seagate FreeAgent Xtreme 1TB, to work BTW.

whtwhy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i got a seagate freeagent go 320 and i disabeld sleep.dont wanna scare you but i get random hangups -crash- with nfscarbon-ger-, one time after 8min from policepursuit and another time i think after beating a stage , no spindowns though, the hdd is still spining -vibrating-
gl

fruitgull

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok. I hope it'll work for me. There are no foolproof drives, it seems. There are problems with all models, for some people anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    because you are an awful liar and narcissistic hypocrite
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    LEOtck? Who's he? Never 'erd of the las. :)
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I only show the mirror to people and you all can't stand what you're seeing
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    bunch of bullies
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Narcissistic Personality Disorder 101
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I think that's what you have
    Thanks for providing further evidence of my claim in a single comment. lol.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    pff\
    You're a gaslighting narcissist. Everyone out to get you. You wont get professional help because you'll just chalk up their diagnosis as another conspiracy out to get you.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    leave me alone, I'm not going to engage with you anymore, bye
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    Motherfucker I was checked by a psychiatrist and there's nothing wrong with me
    okay. Bye. Thought you were leaving anyway. Why are you still around? You already said goodbye to everyone here.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so stop spurting your nonsense
    lol. liar.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    knock it off now, both of you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yea you're just a mean bully
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    he SHOULD
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and NOW
    liar, loudmouth, cussing and swearing, all angry
    ok. sorry. ill stop now. promise
    Sooo. How about Dune part 1 & 2? The cinematography is fantastic, but thats some of the most boring ass sci-fi Ive seen in my life.
    haven't seen both
    Im going to see the new Godzilla next week. Sure they aren't some cinematic masterpieces but the last few were all really great and fun popcorn flicks to see on the big screen.
    can't remember the last time I went to the cinemas
    Me neither, not precisely. I think the last one I went to was Top Gun Maverick
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Me neither, not precisely. I think the last one I went to was Top Gun Maverick