USB now not working

Discussion in 'PS3 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Sicklyboy, Mar 9, 2013.

Mar 9, 2013

USB now not working by Sicklyboy at 6:15 AM (414 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. Sicklyboy
    OP

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    Fuck me, right?

I was given a CECHA01 by a coworker that wasn't reading games or movies, bad laser, bought a new laser and replaced it. After some headache of the drive not accepting a disk, which I fixed, I synced a controller of mine and played a game to make sure it all worked. It did, so I closed it up, ran the disk again, all good, returned it.

Guy calls me and says that the controller won't charge from it. Bad cable? He goes and buys a new controller and cable, they won't charge either.

So all four front USB ports are dead. I just tested them. DS3, knockoff (which had worked originally) and genuine, won't charge nor sync, trying three different cables. One of the tips I had heard is that if a damaged controller had overloaded the USB ports, do a settings reset to clear it and it ought to work again. Did that, and now the two controllers that WERE synced AREN'T.

So short of reflowing the solder on each USB port, which I'll likely try anyway, what else am I looking at? I can think of fuck nothing to fix this damn thing short of calling it gay and giving it the stink eye, which doesn't do anything except piss me off anyway.

ftge.

2. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    Usually when all USB ports are down that indicates a blown fuse. Look for damage on the motherboard. Be advised if it is a blown fuse it is very difficult to replace one.

3. Sicklyboy
    OP

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    Ffff-

That's going to be a right pain in the ass.