Hacking USB Loader GX Won't Recognize HDD...Sometimes?

Goldsuit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm really new to this scene and I've got almost everything working, but I'm utterly stumped on what to do now. I'll give you a rundown through my process. For the entire setup up to this point my HDD has been working completely fine with my Wii and I've had no problems whatsoever with the HDD after reformatting it to FAT32. Now I will say I initially messed up and installed USB Loader GX without doing the cIOS step, but my Gamecube games still worked totally fine and still do and at no point did my HDD fail to initialize. My Wii games obviously needed the step, so after finding out I skipped a step on accident I downloaded it, and I loaded my HDD up with all my Gamecube and Wii games I wanted to launch through USB Loader GX. The initial test run of Punch Out worked totally fine, then I go back to the menu to set some settings and I get hit with "your USB device is not being initialized. Changing to channel mode" or something along the lines of that.

So after about a dozen resets, confirming if the HDD still works via hooking it up with my PC, making sure it's in Slot 0 (it was and always has been) and even switching it back and forth from Slot 1, changing the System IOS in the Loader menu in USBLGX between 58, 249, 250, and 251, and reinstalling all of the cIOS...for some reason in my most recent reset, it seems to be working fine. It loaded my HDD and it's displaying all the games, but I'm honestly scared to do anything else now because I don't want it to suddenly not recognize my HDD again. The settings everything is set to right now didn't work earlier, so I don't know what's different if anything.

SysCheck is below since I've read at least 40 of these threads since starting the process of softmodding my Wii and I can tell that helps lol. And I read in a few threads something about a Y cable, not sure what that is but I don't have one. I don't think it's a power issue since it only recently started to act up.
SysCheck HDE v2.4.0 HacksDen Edition by JoostinOnline, Double_A, R2-D2199, and Nano
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6176).

Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.3U (v513)
Priiloader installed
Drive date: 07.14.2008
Homebrew Channel 1.1.2 running on IOS58

Hollywood v0x21
Console ID: 91287754
Console Type: Wii
Shop Channel Country: United States (49)
Boot2 v4
Found 71 titles.
Found 48 IOS on this console. 15 of them are stubs.

IOS3 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 1034): No Patches
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 256): Stub
IOS12 (rev 526): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
IOS17 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS20 (rev 256): Stub
IOS21 (rev 1039): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1294): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1807): No Patches
IOS30 (rev 2816): Stub
IOS31 (rev 3608): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS33 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS37 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS40 (rev 3072): Stub
IOS41 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS50 (rev 5120): Stub
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS52 (rev 5888): Stub
IOS53 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6176): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 6400): Stub
IOS61 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS62 (rev 6430): No Patches
IOS70 (rev 6912): Stub
IOS80 (rev 6944): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS222 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS223 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS249[57] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS250[56] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS251[38] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v6
MIOS v10
Report generated on 05/30/2022.

Goldsuit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With more experimenting it looks like it's tied to the cIOS in the USB Loader GX menu, but also now Wii games are just giving a black screen once they're chosen to start. Gamecube games still run fine. I've tried 249 250 and 251 for Loader cIOS and it will not recognize my harddrive when I do that unless I set it to 58. No combination I've tried has been able to launch a Wii game, and I have no idea how Punch Out launched and played totally fine the first time. For Gamecube games, I have it at Loader cIOS 58 and Game cIOS 249.

I have no idea what I'm doing. Is it my HDD? It works totally fine with everything else.

Last edited by Goldsuit,

Goldsuit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the confirmation on my syscheck. I don't have another USB cable I can test with, so I purchased a Y-Cable which should arrive tomorrow. For anyone having the same issue as me I'll report back with my results.

As for the version of GX that I'm using, as far as I'm aware I'm using the one that's currently available in the wii.guide tutorial, which I think is just the regular build? I can check later.

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure your hdd is set to MBR (not GPT) and has a primary partition.
Also, what hdd are you using? Are you hooking it to an hdd enclosure? Have you tried with a different usb cable to connect it to the Wii?
Does the hdd always passes the usb initiation screen when you launch USBLoaderGX, without showing the countdown, right?
but also now Wii games are just giving a black screen once they're chosen to start.
It could also be the games & wbfs files you are using, they could be corrupt or incomplete. WiiBackupmanager has an option to check & verify the hash of your games, make sure to do that.
I would also recommend using the usbloadergx mod version by @blackb0x here.
Use the non-wad channel version if you can too.

Goldsuit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure your hdd is set to MBR (not GPT) and has a primary partition.
Also, what hdd are you using? Are you hooking it to an hdd enclosure? Have you tried with a different usb cable to connect it to the Wii?
Does the hdd always passes the usb initiation screen when you launch USBLoaderGX, without showing the countdown, right?
So I checked and it's actually set to GPT, and I'm not sure what a primary partition is honestly other than the option I see the USB menus mentioning the term, so I don't know if I need to set anything in that regard. I'm using the "WD 2TB Elements Portable Hard Drive" and it's not hooked up to an enclosure. A different drive was also able to connect to the Wii, but I don't currently have another cable I can test with this specific drive. The HDD always passes the USB initiation until I set the cIOS to anything but 58, in which case it fails every time. Prior to installing cIOS it passed every time, but was not able to run anything but Gamecube games (so really not that different from now)

I'll go over the Wii WBFS in the morning, as far as I'm aware they're all working perfectly fine but I'll verify with WBM to check.

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I checked and it's actually set to GPT, and I'm not sure what a primary partition is honestly other than the option I see the USB menus mentioning the term, so I don't know if I need to set anything in that regard.
You can see if the drive is set to primary or logical in Disk Manager (in Windows). You can use a software like AOMEI Partition Assistant to change GPT to MBR & to also change it to a primary partition (not sure if you can do it in Disk Manager, or if it should format your hdd after doing that, or not).
The HDD always passes the USB initiation until I set the cIOS to anything but 58, in which case it fails every time. Prior to installing cIOS it passed every time,
Where are you changing the cIOSs? In USBLoaderGX or some other app?

Goldsuit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can see if the drive is set to primary or logical in Disk Manager (in Windows). You can use a software like AOMEI Partition Assistant to change GPT to MBR & to also change it to a primary partition (not sure if you can do it in Disk Manager, or if it should format your hdd after doing that, or not).
It seems to be set to primary according to Disk Manager. I can try changing it to MBR later, making a backup shouldn't take more than twenty minutes.
Where are you changing the cIOSs? In USBLoaderGX or some other app?
USBLoaderGX, in the settings menu in the lower left. What I'll do is change the cIOS off of 58 to something like 249, then it'll fail to recognize my drive once I close and re-enter the channel. If I set it back to 58, close and re-enter, it works just fine.

Goldsuit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I changed the disk to MBR with a primary partition, nothing seems to have changed other than now Gamecube games seem to skip the Nintendont "loading" (or the 0/2048 verification thing dunno what to call it) screen which I don't mind (though not sure why it's doing that). Changing it off Loader cIOS 58 still prevents the drive from being read. I also verified the Wii WBFS through the manager and they all came out green.

I'm convinced the problem is with the cable to the HDD now. Once the Y cable comes in tomorrow I'll verify for the sake of anyone else having a similar problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.