Hacking USB Loader GX (vWii) stopped working

ryanstein

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would say you need Y-cable, but you already have it.
Are you using HUB? hubs are not working with cIOS.
though, IOS58 should work with hub but you said it didn't help.

Is your cable too long? try another cable, try another HDD to see if it's an hardware issue or a software setting.

I just tried reformatting the drive and putting everything back on, no dice.

Joso001

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi, im new here and i think this thread describes better my problem.
I got an old Wii, and following this thread because my Wii freezes initializing usb hd. Its a usb 2.0 Samsumg 500Gb USB-HDD. With flash drives is working fine.

Its all updated, and using loader version r1243.
- Test a different IOS (IOS58) : Set the meta to use IOS58
First time i tried this its passes, but freezed now on "Reinitializing devices..." screen. Without usb plugged, it starts normal and i turned ON the quick boot option. After exiting to HBC and loading again the loader shows me the games! And now another problem... when starting games it goes a black screen forever.
- Test using a cIOS : Nobody tried this yet. To do this, edit the meta.xml and remove the commented lines. Edit the -ios= to set it to 249
It will force r1218 to use cIOS instead of IOS58 for HDD init. I would like to know if that will trigger the freeze too.
This freezing to me.

I can help with tests if needed.
And sorry for my bad english.

fredward

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone, so I have had my Wii u soft modded for a long time now and it works great. It has been about a month since the last time i used it and everything worked perfect. Now when I start up USBLoader GX I keep getting the "waiting for HDD" screen and my hard drive won't load up on usb loader. Now my hard drive boots up perfectly through wiiflow. Why is this? Has anyone else had this issue occur on them as well? I have also updated the usb loader dol file and also reinstalled the channel forwarder and still the same thing. If anyone has any solutions let me know. Thanks

Xuman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Are you using a Y Cable?

2. Can You hear what sounds like the HDD Turning on and off?

3. Is the HDD compatible with USBLoaderGX? Check HERE

4. Is It Plugged up with the main cable at the bottom when the Wii U is sideways?

If yes to all of these, Im beat. Sometimes i get the problem because my y cable is kinda jank, so i would have to unplug and replug the hdd while the waiting countdown is going and then it works.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
if it freeze at the drive detection screen but not counting down to 0, you are probably experiencing a known bug.
Some users are unable to pass this screen on vWii with their Western Digital USB3.0 HDD.

I don't know why yet, as it's freezing AFTER detecting the HDD correctly.
maybe an issue with partition detection or not enough power (try another Y Cable or an externally powered HDD)

if your issue is what I explained, there's a thread where other users are posting their results.
I didn't have time to work on it yet, sorry. it's hard to debug when I don't have the issue myself.

Reactions: FaTaL_ErRoR

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Some users are unable to pass this screen on vWii with their Western Digital USB3.0 HDD.

My brother recently bought a WD USB 3.0 HDD at Bestbuy. These drives are strange, at least his is. If you format the drive using the enclosure to, say Fat32 or NTFS, then remove it from the enclosure and hook it up, windows will tell you it needs formatted. If you put it back in the enclosure, it will continue to work fine without formatting. The opposite happens if you format it outside the enclosure, and try to put it back in. Are newer externals using some sort of onboard chip for MBR or something? Perhaps thats what's going on with newer drives?

Reactions: Cyan

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
that's very interesting behavior!
it seems the HDD is either encrypted or using a sort of RAID (raid with only one drive?) and the onboard chip is working as translator to convert the transmitted data.

A user with the HDD detection issue said he updated the HDD firmware and now it works fine.
It would be interesting to see if the HDD without enclosure is detected fine on computer.

Making a sector dump will be interesting to see what the console is reading or what the enclosure is giving to the console.
I'll add sector dumping feature in future revisions.

Reactions: EclipseSin

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We were thinking it may be encrypting the FS somehow or something as well. Ours works fine when hooked up to a computer outside of the external though (aside from the format thing :( ), so I'm not really sure. But it may explain some issues people are having with newer drives. I would think a standard driver would suffice though if the external is doing the encryption-decryption (and windows is using the standard drivers), so it is probably just a bug somewhere. Something to look into though I suppose.

Making a sector dump will be interesting to see what the console is reading or what the enclosure is giving to the console.

I'll add sector dumping feature in future revisions.

If/When this gets added, I can try dumping sectors using that external. I'm not sure if it works with the Wii or USBLGX though as it wasn't bought for that. I just know it's the first external we've had and have seen do that when the drive was removed from it, and it is also a WD USB 3.0 external as you mentioned above. Feel free to PM me if you need or want.

Raistlin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has there been any progress made on this? I'm in the same boat as most, my external seagate was working fine now suddenly it don't (which has it's own separate power supply). When I've got it in the top back USB port, it loads quickly and recognizes the partitions but no games load. If I put it in the bottom usb port, it times out and eventually loads but shows "initialization not done" or something to that effect in the hdd settings.

I can see the games fine when I connect to my PC.

My settings:

vIOS249[56]: d2x-v10beta52
vIOS250[57]: d2x-v10beta52
vIOS251[58]: d2x-v10beta52

FaTaL_ErRoR

AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, I never really liked usb loader gx. Seemed to have read issues alot and freeze issues.
Personally I prefer CFG usb loader. I don't know maybe it's just me but gx always seem a bit buggy.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
You know, I never really liked usb loader gx. Seemed to have read issues alot and freeze issues.
Personally I prefer CFG usb loader. I don't know maybe it's just me but gx always seem a bit buggy.

GX is fine, perfectly fine. Very stable to me.

FaTaL_ErRoR

AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GX is fine, perfectly fine. Very stable to me.
Like I said maybe it's just me. But just realized Cyan said seems to be a bug on wd hard drives in another thread....(One of my drives is a wd passport. The one I had trouble with gx)....Funny how I actually wondered if the drive was the problem and read a thread with cyan saying it's some sort of bug with this drive....lol

Cyan maybe take a look at cfg source CFG works flawless with wd drive. Pretty cool to know gx is your project. Maybe I'll give it another go.
I really like the display on gx but cfg worked better for me.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Like I said maybe it's just me. But just realized Cyan said seems to be a bug on wd hard drives in another thread....(One of my drives is a wd passport. The one I had trouble with gx)....Funny how I actually wondered if the drive was the problem and read a thread with cyan saying it's some sort of bug with this drive....lol

Cyan maybe take a look at cfg source CFG works flawless with wd drive. Pretty cool to know gx is your project. Maybe I'll give it another go.

Possible. I once had a Sleepy WD drive and had problems with ALL loaders, not only GX. Switched to a 500gb seagate and now works flawlessly.

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Just curious, have you ever took the hard drive out of the enclosure? I'm assuming the thread you are talking about is the one I replied to yesterday. Mine requires reformatting without the external enclosure, so was curious if yours is the same way.

FaTaL_ErRoR

AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just curious, have you ever took the hard drive out of the enclosure? I'm assuming the thread you are talking about is the one I replied to yesterday. Mine requires reformatting without the external enclosure, so was curious if yours is the same way.
No, mine works on gx just sometimes freezes in boot screen. I haven't used gx in a while so memory is a little fuzzy. But no I didn't have to remove my drive to format.
I did however have to remove that stupid pre installed security though. I don't use this drive much though anymore I have a transcend ssd 1tb now. Maybe I'll give gx another try with the other drive.

fredward

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if it freeze at the drive detection screen but not counting down to 0, you are probably experiencing a known bug.

I don't know why yet, as it's freezing AFTER detecting the HDD correctly.
maybe an issue with partition detection or not enough power (try another Y Cable or an externally powered HDD)

if your issue is what I explained, there's a thread where other users are posting their results.
I didn't have time to work on it yet, sorry. it's hard to debug when I don't have the issue myself.

I have a 500GB Seagate drive and its a single usb cable. I have used it on the wii u since the console launched with no issues. But then one day i decide to play it it doesn't start no more. The drive makes no noise or anything. But the drive works on wiiflow perfectly. So it might be a bug in USBLoader GX. I think using a y cable wouldn't do anything if it already boots up in wiiflow right?

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, mine works on gx just sometimes freezes in boot screen. I haven't used gx in a while so memory is a little fuzzy. But no I didn't have to remove my drive to format.
I did however have to remove that stupid pre installed security though. I don't use this drive much though anymore I have a transcend ssd 1tb now. Maybe I'll give gx another try with the other drive.

I think maybe you're misunderstanding my question. If not, my bad. I mean, if you remove the drive from the enclosure and hook it up to windows, does it ask you to format it (ie hooking it up via SATA or IDE)? Not if you had to remove the drive to format it. I think it's a bug in WD firmware (at least on the enclosure) that's why I was curious. If I can find the post Cyan was talking about, maybe I can see what firmware that guy upgraded to and see what has changed.

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 500GB Seagate drive and its a single usb cable. I have used it on the wii u since the console launched with no issues. But then one day i decide to play it it doesn't start no more. The drive makes no noise or anything. But the drive works on wiiflow perfectly. So it might be a bug in USBLoader GX. I think using a y cable wouldn't do anything if it already boots up in wiiflow right?

Yea, if it's working in Wiiflow it's definitely a bug in GX or something else it's using. If it doesn't even spin up, it sounds like a drive_init problem. re you loading from a Channel or the Homebrew Channel?

FaTaL_ErRoR

AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think maybe you're misunderstanding my question. If not, my bad. I mean, if you remove the drive from the enclosure and hook it up to windows, does it ask you to format it (ie hooking it up via SATA or IDE)? Not if you had to remove the drive to format it. I think it's a bug in WD firmware (at least on the enclosure) that's why I was curious. If I can find the post Cyan was talking about, maybe I can see what firmware that guy upgraded to and see what has changed.
Hmm, interesting. Never taken one apart. (surprising never crossed my mind to take it apart I take every other electronic apart day 1 don't know why not this one)
But yeah not taking it apart. But I did find this http://www.dolphindatalab.com/product/wd-hdd-repair-tool-dfl-wdii-advanced/
And just ordered one. (I don't have one for wd drives and in 2-5 days I will) I really don't know why I always order the full package with these. It's all software and some special adapters in the basic kits. The only thing extra you get by getting premium is an extra flash programmer. I gotta stop coming here. Every time I hang out on gba temp I spend money...lol.
Hey in 2-5 days maybe I'll be able to help with this. lol...

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru

That is the case with me as well, Always liked the design of GX but found CFG much more stable.
But since a couple of revs ago GX runs pretty stable for me. Not 1 dump or freeze and like I said, the design is much better. Kinda seamless with the SM.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo