USB Loader GX Forwarder

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Nicholas Kosner, Feb 25, 2013.

Feb 25, 2013
  1. Nicholas Kosner
    OP

Newcomer Nicholas Kosner Member

United States
    So this is probably a stupid question, but when installing the newest forwarder wad for USB Loader GX which IOS version should I choose? I already have IOS58 since it's a 4.3U Wii. Just not sure which IOS to install to, and I'd rather ask before I go and screw something up.

2. morvoran

Member morvoran GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It doesn't matter what IOS you use to install the forwarder as long as you choose one that you have installed in your Wii. Just use 249. Also, make sure you're not using the forwarder that was made for the vWii on the WiiU. Not sure if it will not have any adverse affects, but it's listed as (For vWii ONLY) so better not take any chances.

3. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    @Nicholas Kosner:
    I think you misunderstand the IOS used to make the wad manager function properly on the Wii
    and the place where the forwarder is installed to.

The Forwarder doesn't install to a IOS slot. it doesn't replace a IOS at all.
    The IOS that you select in the WAD Manager is used to gain access to the NAND (memory of the Wii) in order to install the forwarder on the Wii.
    The Forwarder's data will then be installed in the "Channel place" which will appear on your Wii system menu.

When you launch the Wad Manager, select a IOS which will provide you access to the internal Wii storage.
    It can be a cIOS (cIOS 249 or 236 for example), or an official IOS coupled with AHBPROT patch (IOS58 is commonly used as it's the one used by the homebrew channel, and the AHBPROT patch is provided by the homebrew channel).
    What you choose depend on the homebrew you are using and its version.
    Recent versions of the wad managers don't need any IOS selection anymore, they can access the Wii memory without problem.

Use a wad manager, install your WAD and see if it works.
    If it doesn't work, maybe you need a specific IOS to gain access to the Wii. in that case only, you may need to reload to IOS 236 before installing the WAD file, or update your manager!

4. Nicholas Kosner
    OP

Newcomer Nicholas Kosner Member

United States
    When I launch the WAD Manager 1.7 (Waninkoko official) I select IOS249, in the next screen it asks about NAND emulation, but it freezes there. If I choose IOS58 and select the wad it says Installing ticket... ERROR! (ret=-2011) Should I try another IOS like 236, or is there something wrong with the manager I'm using or the wad itself? (USB_Loader GX-UNEO_Forwarder_5_1_AHBPROT.wad)

EDIT: Ignore that, tried using IOS236 and it worked perfectly. Thanks for the assistance.