USB loader freezes with my Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Joey90, Apr 16, 2009.

Apr 16, 2009
  1. Joey90
    OP

Member Joey90 Not around any more

United Kingdom
    I bought a USB 2.5" IDE enclosure from DX (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9478) and it works perfectly with my computer, however if it is plugged into the Wii and I run any version of the backup launcher, I get a black screen. If I run a version with the timeout, and have it unplugged, then it plug it in during the timeout, then it will freeze on that number. If I unplug during one of these freezes I get a code dump.

Anyone got any advice that might help, I haven't seen this problem before, (usually it just gives an error, rather than freezing)

I know the HDD in the enclosure is NOT the problem, as it works fine with a different adapter (but doesn't look as nice, plus I have other uses for it) and it does the same thing with other hard drives.

2. Jeomite

Member Jeomite GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I had this problem before, it turned out the enclosure was the issue because I tried different hard drives and it still didn't work... but when I tried the same hard drives on a different enclosure, they worked... [​IMG]

3. TroyTheZombie

Member TroyTheZombie GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Hmm, acording to the comments on DX, it seems this particular enclosure is hard to power.

try this, hook the data USB one to your wii, and the other to your pc for power if possible.

4. Joey90
    OP

United Kingdom
    Hm, that's not super practical, but I'll try using a powered USB hub instead. Will report back (even though nobody cares)

5. TroyTheZombie

Member TroyTheZombie GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    lol, yeah, i know its not practical, but it may do the trick.

hey, here's an idea, do you happen to have a i pod power adapter? Use that to power it.

6. Joey90
    OP

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

No luck, I tried with a powered USB hub, and it delivered power (the LED lit up) but it just did the same thing.

(I should also say, I made a slight mistake, when I load the USB loader, the graphics load up, but the console is black, and no boxart obviously)

I don't have an iPod adapter like that (No iPod...)