Hacking USB Hard Drive. Which one?

Ben.

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have been really wanting to get the USB loader up and running on my wii. There is one major draw back. I don't have and external hard drive and I haven't a clue which one to get. I am looking for something at the £50 or below mark and with a decent capacity. I can find many hard drives on my preferred site (ebuyer) But I have two other problems preventing me from buying.

Hard drive spindown issues.

Hard drive reliability.

So could you guys help me pick an external hard drive? I really don't want to buy one and then have it not work or suffer spin down issues.

mickthestud

Trophies
XP
Country
ill break the tie western digital 250 gb my passport works flawlessly out of the box no spin down issues whatsoever,where as the sea gate you need to download and install additional software to turn of the power save settings...

hdhacker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mickthestud said:
ill break the tie western digital 250 gb my passport works flawlessly out of the box no spin down issues whatsoever,where as the sea gate you need to download and install additional software to turn of the power save settings...

I had to break open the case of my 500 GB Passport Essentials and connect it via SATA to stop it from going to sleep. If you happen to have one that works, good for you. Don't recommend it to other people, because they may not be so lucky.

Nds Boy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have luck with this one: Unknown brand name but it works for me

Cavalry CAXA Series CAXA37500 500GB USB 2.0 / eSATA External Hard Drive (No spin down problem at all work right out of the box, even if there is the eSATA will make it a very easy problem to fix I think)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822101134

It is a bit out of your price range, but they have other versions too which are less expensive and they look to be using the same enclosure

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Im using a maxtor one touch mini 4 250gb drive.
Works no problems but you will need to turn the sleep feature off.
It was set to go to sleep after 10 minutes by default right out of the box.

lappen81

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinking about Western Digital Elements Portable 250GB (powered by usb, no extra adapter)
Any luck with that one? The wiki has been down for 2weeks so no luck checking there.

D

Deleted User

Just use a 2.5" hard drive with a USB Enclosure. No need for extra plugs, it's USB Powered.

Three year old 80 GB Ext Hard Drive and still going strong

mestapho

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hdhacker said:
mickthestud said:

I had to break open the case of my 500 GB Passport Essentials and connect it via SATA to stop it from going to sleep. If you happen to have one that works, good for you. Don't recommend it to other people, because they may not be so lucky.

Its only a problem with my passport essentials over 320 GB. The smaller drives all work flawlessly straight from the box.

mickthestud

Trophies
XP
Country
hdhacker said:
mickthestud said:

i didnt recommend the 500 gb i recommended the 250 gb so get your facts straight...

Ben.

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm planning on getting a Seagate 320GB Free Agent Go. Can anyone who has this drive tell me how it fairs? I've heard positive things so far.

Sanf1

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
mestapho said:
hdhacker said:
mickthestud said:

Its only a problem with my passport essentials over 320 GB. The smaller drives all work flawlessly straight from the box.

My passport essentials 320 GB works fine for me straight from the box.
No spindown issues.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol stremio hogging all of my tvs on board ram
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just download more Ram to it, or setup Raid666 on it.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Morning
    +1
  • CooingMaxito @ CooingMaxito:
    Hello fellow stranger
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you mean I've known you since today
    Damn that's bonkers mate, it's almost like we've never met!
    Probably just my imagination
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: