Usb Hard drive and SD card?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Cloudhats, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Cloudhats
    OP

Cloudhats Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2017
    United States
    Just bought a wii u and want to put games on it. I have been reading up on loadiine (sd card) vs wupinstaller (usb drives). I bought a 200gb sd card thinking of running everything on there but have reconsidered to getting a hard drive since I can do online play with it and faster loading times. I plan on returning the sd card for a smaller one. Hard drive will contain wii u games and sd card will contain wii games. Will that work? I know usb method can't do both at the same time but sd card can.

I also plan on getting this drive and want to make sure it is compatible. Yes, I will also order a y cable to power up the drive. I plan on 128 gb micro sd as well. Is that enough for a bunch of wii games or should I go smaller to 64 gb?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-my-p...able-hard-drive-black/5605523.p?skuId=5605523

2. Felek666

Felek666 Demonically Uncontrollable

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    Don't buy that big SDCards since Wii U is known for killing them.
    Just buy 64GB SDCard and follow our guides: You have Kafluke's guide, my redNAND-free guide and wiiubru.com/guide to ensure that you will not be idiotic enough to put CBHC over non-legit game.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  3. Cloudhats
    OP

Cloudhats Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2017
    United States
    I do want to put a bunch of wii games on the card. So is putting wii games on the sd card a good idea then? I would rather not buy another hard drive for wii games.

4. SANIC

SANIC GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence

Jan 13, 2017
    United States
    Putting Wii Games on the SD and Wii U games on HD works. That's what I use except for a 16 GB flash drive I use for GameCube games

5. shadoom

shadoom GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    Taiwan
    Been using a 128gb card for a couple of years in my original Wii and put it like 1-2 years ago in my Wiiu still running perfectly fine

6. themyst

themyst GBAtemp Regular

Mar 5, 2008
    United States
    I have a 512GB SD card for Wii games and a 1TB for Wii U stuff. Still have 200 GB free on the SD card and 300 GB free on the Wii U (which I'll probably never fill)

7. SuperSayianGod

SuperSayianGod GBAtemp Regular

Dec 31, 2016
    United States
    Hey dumb Question but Witch brands of Hard Drives work with Wii U. I ask because I want to Upgrade from my 128gb Usb Flash Drive to a Usb Hard Drive for more space. The flash drive got filled quickly and i only have 6 games on it and less then 15gb remaining. Will external portable Laptop hard drives work. Please help asap.