Hardware usb as storage but old dashboard?

mrpinkeye

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
im thinking of getting a 360 with no official hard drive

i know i can use a usb stick for memory using the new dashboard

BUT

what if the console i get has the old dash? can the new one be downloaded without any memory? iv never tryed going online without an official 360 HDD so im unsure what will happen!

plz help

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Depends on the mother board it has. Some of the phats had onboard flash memory built into them. If the unit you buy is pre NXE then it will need either a memory card, usb flash drive, 360 hard drive or the mother board has to have the flash memory built in. All the slims that come as 4gb modles have the memory built into the mobo.

Edit: also usb flash drive were not official supported for xbox save usage until some time after the NXE update.

mrpinkeye

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
so if it doesnt have the NXE update or built in flash memory there is no way to get the update and use a usb drive without getting an official HDD/memory card?

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cannot recall if the need for a memory unit/hard drive is needed to update to the NXE. I remember there were memory concerns but believe those were just for avatar updates, you should be able to update via usb or cd. when asked for a memory unit you can cancel, format/configure a usb storage unit and use that for avatar data.
Finding a working xbox with dashboards that hasn't been updated isn't going to be too common as most console would of went on live, and/or played a game from the last year. So I think you should be good either way.
Dashboard 2.0.9199 added support for USB flash drives.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I belive you are correct dilav in that the MU/HD is needed primarily for avatar data and also that he should be good if he just goes and buys a 360 as most avaliable now are updated already and those that are still pre NXE are either JTAG'd already or RRoD'd.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E