USB 3.0 Compatibility?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by secretchaos1, Jul 28, 2012.

Jul 28, 2012

USB 3.0 Compatibility? by secretchaos1 at 4:17 AM (1,105 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. secretchaos1
    OP

Newcomer secretchaos1 Advanced Member

Canada
    Recently my old external HDD broke down (the hard drive itself failed, and the enclosure itself has been getting screwey with me as well) so I've been looking into getting a new one. USB 3.0 seems to be the norm nowadays, and from what I can tell it works perfectly fine with USB loaders under d2x cios. Does this remain true for emulators as well? Or would I face issues trying to load roms from a USB 3.0 device?
    Thanks in advance.

2. FireEmblemGuy

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    Should be fully backwards-compatible with USB 2.0.

1 person likes this.
  3. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    You shouldn't have a problem. This picture should help clear it up.

[​IMG]

USB 3.0 has legacy USB 2.0 support built-in. This is because the actual lines for the USB 3.0 connection is separate from the standard USB 2.0 lines. If the device(s) can use the USB 3.0 lines, then they will. Otherwise, they'll use the 2.0 lines.

1 person likes this.
  4. Luigi2012SM64DS

Banned Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Canada
    I thought this post would be a noob asking for USB 3.0 support.

5. secretchaos1
    OP

Newcomer secretchaos1 Advanced Member

Canada
    Ah alright, I just read a few posts mentioning compatibility issues before some updates to cios were made. They were pretty old, so I was just looking for confirmation. Thanks so much for helping me out.

6. obcd

Member obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Belgium
    It's not only usb 3.0 that matters. Some premade usb drives spindown after a period of non activity, and the feature can't be turned off.
    I also noticed some usb 3.0 that initialise slower than usb 2.0 ones when used on usb 2.0. I prefer a low cost enclosure with a 2.5 inch laptop drive in it. If it doesn't work properly, it's just the enclosure that needs to be replaced, not the whole drive.

7. RchUncleSkeleton

Member RchUncleSkeleton Skeletron 9000

United States
    The only things that currently fully support usb 3.0 are newer computers made in the last 2 years. If the drive is primarily going to be for the Wii I would recommend sticking with the old 2.0 standard. I've seen problems with some usb 3 drives not being recognized correctly by the Wii but perhaps you should check out the usb device compatibility list here: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/USB_Devices_Compatibility_List and see what drives are compatible before purchase...my brother in-law had recognition issues with a Toshiba canvio 1tb portable usb 3 drive being recognized by any loaders.