Pliskron

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
trumpet-205 said:
So, can't we just use proxy to bypass this?

Seriously, it is companies themselves who need to figure out why people like counterfeit/pirated good and work from there, NOT government themselves.

Feinstein and Boxer, you are not getting my votes next time.
I think Democrats have taken the sheep's clothing off and shown themselves to have no regard for freedom. The try to placate the masses with free stuff. I've gone Libertarian, the party of freedom

Pliskron

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
squirrelman10 said:
wait i read nothing about video games, so shoptemp will still survive, i wonder how they are going to take down ~~ though
I feel that this is only the first of many steps.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From the bolded text it sounds like it's only protecting against bootlegs. Flashcarts aren't really counterfeits as they are original devices made, not knockoffs of other devices (well some flashcarts are knockoffs of others but, you know...). It'll probably go up against sites that sell pirated materials, aka mostly scam sites. Like a prime example would be the sites that sell "Wii hacking software".

Sephxus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
From the bolded text it sounds like it's only protecting against bootlegs. Flashcarts aren't really counterfeits as they are original devices made, not knockoffs of other devices (well some flashcarts are knockoffs of others but, you know...). It'll probably go up against sites that sell pirated materials, aka mostly scam sites. Like a prime example would be the sites that sell "Wii hacking software".
That was my thought exactly, but I haven't read the sources. However, the government is very good at stretching and bending laws.

Also, instead of arguing which party is evil(er), democrats or republicans, some actually focus on who is actually in government. The affiliated party is of no importance, if you do some research you'll find out that huge business have people in the government and regulate themselves. i.e food companies.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
squirrelman10 said:
wait i read nothing about video games, so shoptemp will still survive, i wonder how they are going to take down ~~ though

I agree with this!
I mean, they don't say anything about devices used for piracy like flashcarts. They talk in the text about pirated CDs, not blank CD-Rs... Pirated books, not blank printer paper... etc.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pliskron said:
trumpet-205 said:
So, can't we just use proxy to bypass this?

Seriously, it is companies themselves who need to figure out why people like counterfeit/pirated good and work from there, NOT government themselves.

Feinstein and Boxer, you are not getting my votes next time.
I think Democrats have taken the sheep's clothing off and shown themselves to have no regard for freedom. The try to placate the masses with free stuff. I've gone Libertarian, the party of freedom
They rushed the vote because they lost the House. They no longer care because they are losing anyways, and have given up trying to lie to us. We saw through them. So now they are trying to make it seem like they are all powerful.

I don't mind them combating piracy, but like this!?

Okay, so the U.S. ISPs will stop doing business with the foreign websites? Who gives a crap? We are only one nation. They can easily go to others for business. All it does is hurt us. If we decide to stop doing business with foreign sites, then other foreign sites will stop doing business with us, and we will lose a lot. They didn't even think that through enough. Or maybe they didn't care because they already had tons of money while everybody else could only get by with what they were getting from those business relations. So in other words, our politicians kicked US hard in the stomach just to protect the people who are lining their pockets with money.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jceggbert5 said:
And now is when I check housing prices in Canada XD

A government trying to shut down illegal activities =/= the end of democracy.

It seems like with EVERY anti-piracy thing people think the government is trying to ruin society and result to a dictatorship or something like that. Honestly, as a pirate, you need to realize what you're doing is illegal and that there are gonna be measures taken over time to try and stop that. It's like complaining that a cop stopped you from stealing an old lady's purse (and don't pull out the "piracy isn't stealing" thing, I'm simply using a metaphor to equate one crime to another). As a pirate I realize what I do is illegal and not exactly ethical but I do it because I like free stuff and don't really care about the moral implications. They have all rights to try and stop me from pirating provided it doesn't resort to the violation of basic liberties.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
A government trying to shut down illegal activities =/= the end of democracy.

It seems like with EVERY anti-piracy thing people think the government is trying to ruin society and result to a dictatorship or something like that. Honestly, as a pirate, you need to realize what you're doing is illegal and that there are gonna be measures taken over time to try and stop that. It's like complaining that a cop stopped you from stealing an old lady's purse (and don't pull out the "piracy isn't stealing" thing, I'm simply using a metaphor to equate one crime to another). As a pirate I realize what I do is illegal and not exactly ethical but I do it because I like free stuff and don't really care about the moral implications. They have all rights to try and stop me from pirating provided it doesn't resort to the violation of basic liberties.
I agree with you that piracy is illegal. But they are trying to kill a small fly with a giant hammer. It's going to harm us as well, the legitimate users, when we can't buy the games because we don't have business with foreign sites, just because some people up in Washington decided to attack foreign sites by refusing business with them. In turn, other legitimate foreign sites might decide to deny business with us. Our government is shooting us in the foot and they don't care. They need to think about the small person who voted for them instead of the big company that is lining their pockets with money.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's illegal because the government says it's illegal. One reason why the government says it is illegal because it works against them if we think otherwise. So if you are saying we should listen to everything the government is saying that is illegal, you should just shoot yourself in your foot because you can't even walk without the governments permission.

You can't achieve goals unless the government says its ok to obtain them. You can't embrace your dreams because half the things you need to do to reach them would be considered illegal.

I for one, follow what the government says, but if I can benefit by breaking the law (running a damn stop sign or something when no one is there) then I'm going to do it because I can. If I get a ticket, then obviously someone was there and I'm at fault for it.

Who says the government won't block this site? Will you then go against them? What if they block the internet?

Also, who cares what it is called. Communism, stateism, blahblahism, the government did not create the internet so F*** their censorship.

dragon574444

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. "

-Thomas Jefferson

D

Deleted User

Just throwing this out there, I've been reading GBATemp news / Tomshardware news for several months now & the situation is kinda laughable. Remember reading that 70% of all business software / China / is pirated. Moreover, I agree with what Guild's said.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yet some people still believe that if pirating was not available, then all 70% of pirated stuff would be bought. Not to mention, some big lined softwares sell pretty good because a lot of people use them, pirated or not pirated. The fact that it is pirated and used commonly is a big nice advertisement for them.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Call it what every you want but eventually this will spread to other areas on the Internet. Censorship is never good for anybody. Also who the hell do we think we are dictating to other nations how the internet should be governed? No wonder everyone hates us.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
saxamo said:
QUOTE said:
foreign websites that sell counterfeit goods and pirated music, movies and books
Is this the end of Dealextreme, shoptemp, and other websites we have all come to know and love??

QUOTE(Guild McCommunist @ Nov 18 2010, 08:22 PM)
I had the same thought. Judging by what's mentioned, they should be fine; DX and ShopTemp don't sell counterfeit goods, they don't sell pirated media either.
If this were to stop the sale of clone cards, however...
ninja.gif

I was pretty much thinking what Guild said already; we're on the same wavelength regarding that. Or I just pirated his opinion.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back