Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
5-21-2011werenumber9.jpg
U, S, A! We're number nine! Wait, nine? At least according to a recent broadband survey by the FCC, yes. The good ol' US of A ranked ninth (out of the 29 member countries of the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development) in fixed broadband penetration on a per capita basis, and 12th in terms of pure percentage -- behind the UK, South Korea, Iceland, the Netherlands, and plenty of others. Though, granted, these nations lack the sprawling amber waves of grain that America must traverse with cables. The US also trailed in wireless broadband adoption, ranking ninth yet again, behind the likes of Ireland, Australia and Sweden. Worse still, even those with broadband reported slower connections than folks in other countries. Olympia, Washington had the highest average download speeds of any US city with 21Mbps (New York and Seattle tied for second with 11.7Mbps), but was easily topped by Helsinki, Paris, Berlin, and Seoul (35.8Mbps). Well, at least we beat Slovenia... if only just barely.[/p]
icon11.gif
Source (Engadget)

Dangy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm kinda surprised Norway and Sweden are above us.

I thought the only good thing Norway had was Black Metal.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I find it odd that Canada is higher ranked then most seeing as how our internet services are fucking expensive, and the fastest download speed for residential is dependant on where you live, in most cities it's only like 50Mb.

moerik

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DSGamer64 said:
I find it odd that Canada is higher ranked then most seeing as how our internet services are fucking expensive, and the fastest download speed for residential is dependant on where you live, in most cities it's only like 50Mb.

Mine is 2.78Mb, and I am in a small town with a population of 7000... shocking, isn't it?

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
DSGamer64 said:
Dude, where the fuck do you get 50 mb/s?

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why am I not surprised?

US is also the only major country left that is not using EMV (chip and pin) credit card, until very recently.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
pyrmon24 said:
DSGamer64 said:
Dude, where the fuck do you get 50 mb/s?
Rogers Ultimate, 50Mb down, 2Mb up, 175GB of monthly usage. A friend of mine has Rogers Ultimate, but then again he doesn't have television so the cost of it outweighs the need for having a full fledged cable package.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
DSGamer64 said:
I'm in Vancouver and I only have 18MB. =.= I'm surprised Canada even gets ranked that high.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My connection is 10Mb and I live in a suburban area, then again my parents are too cheap to upgrade
tongue.gif

Either way, I am surprised Canada is that high considering a lot of the country doesn't have decent internet access, especially in the prairies where everything is so spread out.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ouch. I'm outside of Mission, B.C., and we only get Shaw, and we don't get the best package either. I'm surprised Canada is as high as it is as well. Wasn't even expecting top 15 to be honest.

Mazor

Z80 master arch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Breaking fucking news.

Everyone and their mother knows the US has shit internet coverage and speeds, it's been the case at least since after the 90's.

Dangy said:
I'm kinda surprised Norway and Sweden are above us.
There is a simple explanation when it comes to household coverage.

It's very easy to reach a large percentage of households in these countries because a very large percentage of the population live in the same places. Sweden is the size of California, yet there are only around 9 million inhabitants of which a large majority all live in the south part of the country and almost everyone else in the few larger cities in the north. The case is similar for Norway (with ~5 million inhabitants), a very large percentage of the population lives in the same few areas (most of the rest of the country is covered with mountains).

Norway has shit speeds though.

Mazor

Z80 master arch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sir Spanky said:
The Scandanavians have always loved their insanely fast internets
Actually, in Scandinavia, only Sweden has had and has top speed internet (Finland also having decent internet, they're not part of Scandinavia contrary to popular belief though).

See http://netindex.com/ or any other source.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: hey the spam bots are acting up again