Urgent help needed with Sneek please!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Nintynuts, Jun 8, 2010.

Jun 8, 2010
  1. Nintynuts
    OP

Newcomer Nintynuts Member

United Kingdom
    I've been trying to install SNEEK on my wii.
    I already have Bootmii installed, and i dumped my NAND to my SD.
    Next I had lots of trouble trying to extract the NAND, I tried:
    WiiND
    ShowMiiWad 1.4 (and x64)
    nandextract-0.1.3
    none of which worked, they just crashed or did nothing.
    eventually i found nand-tools, which was a simple process, resulting in me finally having my nand extracted.
    To make it obviously different I installed some wads using ShowMiiWad.

Next, i copied my extracted NAND to the FAT32 partition of my HDD (which i marked as the active partition)

I used SNEEK Auto-installer v4 to compile SNEEK, although i realise now it may not work for USB (which should use UNEEK), but for now let’s move on. I copied the contents of the output directory to the root of my SD (which only has bootmii on it, renamed to “proper bootmii”) I also copied Boot2.bin to my USB partition.

My bootmii.ini is set to Progressive mode, autoload to system menu, 0 delay (I have a PAL Wii with component cable)

With my SD and USB inserted into the Wii, it just boots to a blank screen (no video output)

I think I've explained everything I can, please can someone help me figure out what I've missed to get this working

2. VashTS

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    are you using sneek+di? if so, you MUST have at least 1 game on the usb drive under usb:\games

im not sure about the naming of the folders within that, but i used the title id, for example:

usb:\games\TEETR
    -all the files go in this folder for that game, Tetris Party Deluxe.

If its regular SNEEK, i don't know what was wrong. check the thread, and follow the guide.

3. longtom1

Member longtom1 Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen

Antarctica
    It doesn't matter what the folder name is you can call it usb:\games\TetrisPartyDeluxe instead of usb:\games\TEETR makes it easier to manage your games

4. Nintynuts
    OP

United Kingdom
    All I did was use the SNEEK auto installer and copy it, so whatever the output is, that's what I have.
    As for following guides, I've tried to fond one but they all seem too long winded or hard to follow, if you could point me in the direction of one which would give me what I need I'll try it. Preferably one which doesn't require me to compile SNEEK.

Also there is no "Games" folder, only
    apps (homebrew)
    config (USB loader GX)
    images (USB loader GX)
    import
    meta
    shared1
    shared2
    sys
    ticket
    title
    tmp
    boot2.bin (sneek)
    gametitles.txt (USBLGX)
    hacks.ini (Preloader - unused)
    installer.log (from installing bootmii)
    3x WiiTDB.zip (USBLGX)

5. jelmew

Member jelmew GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I suspect that your partition (which should be fat32) isn't the primary one.

edit:
    Boot2.bin should be on the sd card.

6. Nintynuts
    OP

United Kingdom
  7. beegee7730

Banned beegee7730 ITS PAAFEKUTO!

United Kingdom
    This doesn't seem urgent to me.

8. Nintynuts
    OP

United Kingdom
    It's urgent for me, that's why I wrote it.

9. George Dawes

Member George Dawes Wanker

Trinidad and Tobago
    copied ppcboot.elf frm the original bootmii dir to the new one?

And yeah, not urgent at all.

10. Nintynuts
    OP

United Kingdom
    No I hadn't. Now I have, it shows a black screen rather than a blank screen (there's a difference on my TV).

Thanks, we're making progress!

As for the urgency of this problem, it's really not anyone else's concern whether this is urgent or not, the point is, it's urgent to ME. So can we just move on from that please? and if it bothers anyone, please don't post just to point it out, it's not constructive.

11. VashTS

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    nope not urgent.

you have to select what sneek you want to install, but by default it goes to regular sneek. it might be your fs dump. try building a virgin nand by downloading ios 70 and system menu 4.2 for your region. install those to a fresh directory and copy a settings.txt to the proper folder (check the guide for the best advice on setting up a virgin nand). that worked for me. my nand dumps that i have would work at random times, other times they wouldn't. i have 4, mine, my moms, my friends, and my aunts.

12. George Dawes

Trinidad and Tobago
    I didn't post just to point it, I posted it as an addendum to some pertinent info. It isn't urgent, so it's pointless putting that in the title.

Try without the USB drive plugged in, just have the sd card in and try booting.

Edit the .ini to be PAL60, sysmenu, 0 - just to test. See if you get video output that way.

If you do get it working, I'd then create a virgin nand as vashts says, then do a wifi update to get all the most uptodate IOS. SNEEK is a lot faster (for me) when used this way rather than using my own nand dump.

13. Nintynuts
    OP

United Kingdom
    OK, how do I get SNEEK Auto-Installer to compile UNEEK? (I assume this is what you mean)

14. Nintynuts
    OP

United Kingdom
    Now I've copied the elf file empty folders (except Shared1, containing content.map) are made on the SD.

The bootmii.ini files were a mess so I edited them. Now, bootmi shows, then after 3 seconds (even though autoboot is set to 0, to SYSMENU) the screen goes blank (no input at all), so I don't think bootmii is the problem. I think SNEEK is expecting to find the NAND on the SD card not on the USB, I will test this as soon as my NAND finishes copying. I need to know how to compile UNEEK, preferably with the auto-installer (editing the batch file or something).

15. George Dawes

Trinidad and Tobago
    SNEEK IS expecting to find the NAND on SD, not on USB.

No idea about autoinstaller - tried it once and it didn't work for me. Easier to compile from sources, and worked fine.

16. Gabber

Newcomer Gabber Member

Netherlands
    thats what happened to me with a bad nand, redumping got nandextract and showmiinand working.

I still can't get Sneek to work trough black screen also

17. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    SNEEK is a b**ch. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But if it works, it's an amazing experience. For example, I made a virgin NAND, it booted, I updated, it didn't worked after that. It also doesn't seem to start when I'm using an Stick which it doesn't seem to like.

Summary: For me, SNEEK is hit or miss. The most time I miss, and if I hit, it's slow as hell. Try if it works with a virgin NAND (IOS70+4.2+Setings.txt), if it doesn't, it can be that it isn't FAT32 with Cluster 32 or less, or that your hardware isn't supported. Or it just hates you, and you have to give up on it [​IMG].

18. Nintynuts
    OP

United Kingdom
    I used Creditar's SNEEK installer to make the bootmii files, this time set to UNEEK.

However, while SNEEK can load my NAND from SD it's still not working from USB, no video output.

Does anyone have experience of getting UNEEK working?

On second thoughts, i just read UNEEK doens't allow loading games from USB, but PUNEEK does. I cant find ANYTHING useful on PUNEEK.

I really need guidance with getting this working. What I'm aiming for is having NAND, homebrew and config stuff for USB Loader GX on USB FAT32 partition. then i want an NTFS partition for my Wii ISOs that USB Loader GX can load. All I really want on my SD card is bootmii to launch SNEEK/UNEEK/PUNEEK.

If there are any problems with that setup can someone please explain? one possible problem I see is not being able to use the FAT32 partition as a replacement SD card if the same partition cannot be used as USB and NAND at the same time. I'm guessing the problem with UNEEK is the HDD counts as one device and only one partition can be accessed at a time, so PUNEEK adds support for this or something.

19. George Dawes

Trinidad and Tobago
    SNEEK+DI is what you want/need if you want your NAND loading from SD, but games loading from USB. Unless I'm mistaken.

Normal SNEEK works 100% fine for me, far from hit and miss (except that one time when I was silly enough to use a "auto-installer"), but SNEEK+DI has given me some problems - prolly the USB drive at fault.

20. Nintynuts
    OP

United Kingdom
    From what I understand of SNEEK+DI, it stops use of the SD and games have to be converted. As i've said I wanted my ISOs on an NTFS partition for USB Loader GX. Really need help from someone who's successfully used UNEEK or PUNEEK