Hacking Urgent help needed with Sneek please!

cthg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintynuts said:
The last thing you said is what I was going for, but as I've said I'm stuck now as my Virgin/Bare Bones NANDs wont boot a second time. I will try a less bare bones version but I think there's something missing because my NAND dump will boot but I cant play many (if any) VC/WW games.
After you get a bare bones NAND working, you have to do a ninty update to get all IOS!

Nintynuts

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This is a dump of my real NAND, the games worked on that, I assume they would work on it when dumped, I've got Lostwinds and Maboshi Working, but Toki Tori and Paper Mario just failed to load and as I said, Pokemon Rumble failed (It returns to the Wii Menu, i thought this might be because it's NTSC, but the Magic Obelisk is too, and that works, does Priiloader work on SNEEK, or is there another way to load any region channels?). What's really strange is that with the ones which fail to load, when I try to restart the Wii (holding power) when it comes back on, it loads the game! However, it only gives me sound, on both 480p and 576i.

Anyway don't worry about anything other than why my Virgin NAND isn't booting a second time! My dump is running slowly so I want a bare bones System menu just for WiiWare. I am finding with my dump that it's very hit and miss with loading, especially when it's just failed at something. Sometime it take 3-5 attempts to make it boot from USB. Is this a usual problem with SNEEK/UNEEK or does this sound specific to my dump? if it's the latter it's not a problem.

@George, yeah, my settings.txt is in there. It wouldn't let me set up the Wii if it wasn't. Two different Virgin NANDs have been successfully set up then don't boot from USB (SD is fine)

@cthg OOOOOH. I never realised that. I shall give that a try... i thought the NUS 4.2 and IOS70 would be all i needed, but that's just all you need to get started I guess?

cthg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4.2+IOS70 +settings.txt is all you need to get to the system menu. To play games you need all the ios.

Probably the best way to play different region games is to have another NAND that's on 4.2U. To do this you can either anyregionchanger on your real NAND and take the settings.txt then restoremii your original NAND.

Or you can do that settings.txt decrypter that's been laying around in some of the other threads to manually change the region in the settings.txt. Then the only difference with an other region nand would be the different region sys menu.

Nintynuts

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't want to have 2 emulated NANDs, I dont have a second HDD for it, and it's too much effort to switch between SNEEK and UNEEK on the SD. Basically that's it on that subject.

There must be a way of doing something similar to what Priiloader did, I don't mind if it's complicated as long as it's well explained. It has to be within the same emulated NAND, that's all.

Nintynuts

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That sounds right, as I said Magic Obelisk (NTSC) is working, I checked the region of rumble and it's PAL so that's not working for some other unknown reason.

Having some trouble with updating the Wii, there's apparently a lot to download and my router's signal isn't the best. If it fails again I will follow the first guide on the aforementioned SNEEK+DI thread, rather than the second minimum version.

I am still dubious however about updating being necessary to run SNEEK/UNEEK as my Virgin NAND booted fine on SD, though i can appreciate why an update would be needed to run certain games. Would be great if someone could tell me why it works on SD and not on USB...

On a side note, if a Wii update is vital to run SNEEK, in the SNEEK+DI someone needs to update the "Smallest NAND possible for SNEEK" section to say "4. UPDATE YOUR WII" at the end (it's in the first one)

Update: I just read the first NAND guide "How to get a virgin NAND using NUSD and showmiiwads" and bar step 10, it's exactly the same as what I already did. Furthermore, by doing step 10, surely I'm duplicating my NAND dump by adding all the titles to it. Isn't there a particular set of things I can download from NUS and unpack to a fresh NAND to get it going immediately? I noticed only the disc channel is on the system menu, is shop or photo channel required to make it load properly? (seems unlikely)

SanGor

Witchhunter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
some games have trouble running on other video modes then intended,
a few examples, Zelda EUR won't work with NTSC video mode and NSMBW USA won't work with PAL60, patches might help you to get around that problem but by default those games just blackscreen (they output a message via USBGecko if you have one with the error)

George Dawes

Wanker
Trophies
Website
www.indymedia.org.uk
XP
Country
Chad
You don't need to do a nintendo update - one of my SNEEK NANDs is a virgin NAND with just the minimum required for wiiware/vc:

IOS' 9, 21, 31, 33, 35, 36, 37, 53, 55, 56, 70. Add to that the SM and I have the Mii chan (so guests can create a mii).

I just downloaded the IOS' needed with NUSD and then added them with showmiiwads. My other SNEEK NAND is a virgin NAND with IOS70 and the SM, boot (which was a black screen - I just left it running for 10mins and went for a smoke), turn it off and boot again. Complete the nintendo initial setup and do a online update. I always seem to get no video output the first time I boot a new NAND, but everything works fine after a restart.

No idea why it won't work on USB, are you definitely using the boot2_usb.bin (renamed to boot2.bin) on your SD card? (if compiling from source - no idea what filenames the installers use).

Nintynuts

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
yes, that's exactly what I've done.

I've had 2 versions of virgin NAND, firstly I got just 4.2E and IOS70, that went through setup and wouldn't boot a second time.

Then I stripped down my NAND dump, deleted all but EULA and Region Select, installed latest versions of every IOS (excluding stubbed and old System Menu IOSs), ran that and it worked straight away (no setup).

I then DLd the last 2 I hadn't replaced and made an entirely new NAND from nothing, copied the settings.txt and ran that. It worked, I got through setup, tried to boot it again... nothing.

I'm now manually comparing my dump and virgin NANDs to see what the file differences are (not under hex, just file sizes and existence) to see if I can find any important seeming files missing from the Virgin one.

Just trying to filter out all the save games, they seem to be in title/00010000-00010004 except 00010002, which is empty (makes sense as they're missing from my virgin NAND, and the filesizes decreased when I deleted save games). However, when I delete the all 4 directories it wont boot, yet when I copy them back it boots and recognizes all the ones I had previously deleted in Wii settings. Confusing. I really wish there was documentation for all this.

UPDATE: Get this, I used format system memory on my working NAND dump, and when it was done, I set it up just like my virgin NAND, then when I rebooted...IT DIDN'T WORK! So obviously whatever makes this work is deleted when the Wii formats itself. When I looked at the save game folders, they still had folders inside them so I will check so see if any files still exist, and if they all do (maybe the Wii just deletes indexes rather than actually formatting) I should be able to find missing files... MAYBE...

Update 2: I just manually deleted all my game saves (took AGES), looked at the NAND and all the folders are left there empty, but some still have TMDs in them. I filtered out the folders with TMDs and deleted the remaining empty folders, and that wont even boot. I've also tried deleting tmds.sys, but it got recreated as 0 KB and it didn't boot.

Update 3: Last of this post as I'm out of ideas... I reset the NAND to just after I had finished deleting saves and guess what? IT DOESN'T BOOT... so there's no point in continuing with this NAND as it obviously doesn't function.

Up side is I now know deleting all my saves stops it working. I wondered if a 0 size tmds.sys was causing this (because on saves and no channels should equal a 0 size tmds.sys) but if I remember correctly it was still 54KB (presumably because of the remaining tmds, likely for channels on SD), however lack of channels or saves may be an issue as Wii normally has Mii, Photo and Shop...

First I tried making a game save, I put in a disc (crossbow training), forces wii update, attempts to restart and doesn't...

Started over and I tried adding the mii channel into the mix and it appeared, I loaded it, made a mii, all seemed to save fine... went back to wii menu using HOME, didn't load...

Tomorrow I may try Red Steel instead (this might not force an update) to make a save, and maybe a VC/WW wad instead of Mii channel to make a Channel AND a save.

When I wake up I'd really like to see some fresh ideas from you guys, i'm not really getting anywhere.... (and don't suggest giving up, that doesn't help... there must be a solution for this, people are using it fine)

Nintynuts

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OK, bit disappointed that no-one has ANY useful suggestions, I'm doing my best to tell u guys as much as possible, but it's all in vain if it doesn't help u guys figure out what the problem is.

When I woke up I tried to figure out which save game was keeping it working, after surprisingly little trial and error, i found it to be Wii Fit Plus (with a TM). I have 2 versions of the save file US and UK, so It might be useful to figure out which it is. Anyone with Wii Fit Plus please tell me what region your it is and if it has a "TM" in it.

Update: I just tried my original Wii Fit Disc, it made me update (making the basic 4 channels) then it got stuck going to system menu. When I rebooted it still worked, I checked the save and it had no TM, so that MAY indicate the TM is NTSC, but I'd still like confirmation. Generally, returning to Wii menu doesn't work, so that's another problem to look into.

Nintynuts

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I know that's not what mine's doing because the hard drive isn't being accessed. I usually leave it a while too and it just sits there, mocking me.

Nintynuts

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Come on, SOMEONE must have installed UNEEK successfully, and I can't believe no-one has Wii Fit Plus to test if it's save has 'TM' in it...

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland

1) Let this thread rest in peace, don't bump it.
2) Remove that Link immediately. It links to illegal material which can't be shared here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr