Uploading Anime

• Thread starter jamesdiamond
  • Start date
  • Views 2,909
  • Replies 24
J

jamesdiamond

OP
I was thinking of uploading some DPG converted anime for a website. I live in the U.K. Is this legal?

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I could be wrong but really i think it would depend if the anime was licensed, iirc as to whether people (the US/UK company) would care. But eitherway uploading any copyrighted material such as anime, TV shows, movies, games, is always going to be illegal and people will still do it regardless.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
its illegal in any case. though its harder to get caught for unlicensed material as most studios dont have jurisdiction outside japan. licensed anime you'll most likely get dmca warnings.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
You say you're from London, but there's a US flag under your avatar. The answer depends on where you are. It's illegal in the United Kingdom. In the US, it's a dark gray area: it's technically illegal, but there's room to wriggle around if the anime you're uploading wasn't licenced in the US.

J

jamesdiamond

OP
Is it illigal if you say that this anime is only to be downloaded by people who own the original material and are only using it to view it more convieniently.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
jamesdiamond said:
Is it illigal if you say that this anime is only to be downloaded by people who own the original material and are only using it to view it more convieniently.

You are committing copyright infringement regardless as you are not a licensed distributor, nor do you have permission from the license holder.

Demonbart

GBATemp's guitar hero
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Vidboy10 said:
Uploading anime on the internet is almost bad as selling crack on the street.

Is that bad? Shit, I might have to stop doing that then
ph34r.gif

No but seriously, that's not really a good comparison, it's much easier to get caught selling crack than uploading anime.
Also you might end up in jail when you sell drugs, uploading illegal files may cost you some money when you get caught, but nothing worse.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
uploading anime is not only illegal, but subtitles are too !
even if nobody says such a thing, or could affirm subtitles are legals, they are not !

Translating is part of the infringement, because the translator is reproducing the copyrighted script in another language, which is also part of the original work and registered as such.
Translating needs authorisation, look at the official book translators, they must be official translators of their country and/or (?) registered to the book editors in the given country.

Sorry for my bad english here, I'm not used to english lawyer's terms, and I couldn't find the good words I wanted.

All the subtitles websites (for TV show for examples) are in the grey area, but sometime they get DMCA or C&D letters. I'm part of a french subtitles websites, some TV channels asked to have the subs removed for their shows (ABC mostly).
Another example is Calorifix (an asian movies subtitles website) already got C&D from asian editors and were forced to close, but they came back without subtitles, only movie description and forums.

Ok, subtitles wasn't the subject here, but I always wanted to tell it.

J

jamesdiamond

OP
Acts that may be criminal offences in the UK include:

* Making copies for the purpose of selling or hiring them to others[44]
* Importing infringing copies (except for personal use)[45]
* Offering for sale or hire, publicly displaying or otherwise distributing infringing copies in the course of a business[46]
* Distributing a large enough number of copies to have a noticeable effect on the business of the copyright owner[47]
* Making or possessing equipment for the purposes of making infringing copies in the course of a business[48]
* Publicly performing a work in knowledge that the performance is unauthorised[49]
* Communicating copies or infringing the right to "make available" copies to the public (either in the course of a business, or to an extent that has a noticeable effect on the business of the copyright owner)[50]
* Manufacturing commercially, importing for non-personal use, possessing in the course of a business, or distributing to an extent that has a noticeable effect on the business of the copyright holder, a device primarily designed for circumventing a technological copyright protection measure.[51]

Which of these am I breaking if i were to?

D

Deleted_171835

OP
Demonbart said:
Vidboy10 said:
Uploading anime on the internet is almost bad as selling crack on the street.

Is that bad? Shit, I might have to stop doing that then
ph34r.gif

No but seriously, that's not really a good comparison, it's much easier to get caught selling crack than uploading anime.
Also you might end up in jail when you sell drugs, uploading illegal files may cost you some money when you get caught, but nothing worse.
That depends.

Let's say, you have an invasive ISP who checks what you are doing. It would be extremely simple for them to report you the 'police'. Selling crack also varies. Some countries are more strict then others and in some, it's legal.

Unnecessary post was unnecessary.
moogle.gif

Magmorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Revolutionize said:
Let's say, you have an invasive ISP who checks what you are doing.
If ISP's checked what people did on the internet, I'm sure the majority of the population that uses the internet would be in jail.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Magmorph said:
Revolutionize said:
Let's say, you have an invasive ISP who checks what you are doing.
If ISP's checked what people did on the internet, I'm sure the majority of the population that uses the internet would be in jail.

Not to mention if invasive IP's are like the government, they won't give two shits about piracy. Would the government really blow open the fact that they wiretap your internet simply because a few kiddies uploaded Naruto? I don't think so.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM