Uploading Anime

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by jamesdiamond, Nov 1, 2009.

Nov 1, 2009

Uploading Anime by jamesdiamond at 11:06 AM (1,893 Views / 0 Likes) 24 replies

1. jamesdiamond
    OP

jamesdiamond Newbie

I was thinking of uploading some DPG converted anime for a website. I live in the U.K. Is this legal?

2. antwill

Member antwill Better Than You

Australia
    I could be wrong but really i think it would depend if the anime was licensed, iirc as to whether people (the US/UK company) would care. But eitherway uploading any copyrighted material such as anime, TV shows, movies, games, is always going to be illegal and people will still do it regardless.

3. ConJ

Member ConJ The Toker

United Kingdom
    I could be wrong, but probably not, if its copwrited material.

4. shinnyuuya

Member shinnyuuya GBAtemp Fan

Indonesia
    depend on what website you want to upload your file

5. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    its illegal in any case. though its harder to get caught for unlicensed material as most studios dont have jurisdiction outside japan. licensed anime you'll most likely get dmca warnings.

6. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    You say you're from London, but there's a US flag under your avatar. The answer depends on where you are. It's illegal in the United Kingdom. In the US, it's a dark gray area: it's technically illegal, but there's room to wriggle around if the anime you're uploading wasn't licenced in the US.

7. Vidboy10

Member Vidboy10 Tsardom

Canada
    Uploading anime on the internet is almost bad as selling crack on the street.

8. Chris_Skylock

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    it's illegal if it was licensed. Take youtube for example. it's illegal for licensed songs but if it's a japanese ones, you can bypass it. if it was licensed in the US, it's ILLEGAL so it's 50-50.

9. jamesdiamond
    OP

jamesdiamond Newbie

Is it illigal if you say that this anime is only to be downloaded by people who own the original material and are only using it to view it more convieniently.

10. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    You are committing copyright infringement regardless as you are not a licensed distributor, nor do you have permission from the license holder.

11. Demonbart

Member Demonbart GBATemp's guitar hero

Netherlands
    Is that bad? Shit, I might have to stop doing that then [​IMG]
    No but seriously, that's not really a good comparison, it's much easier to get caught selling crack than uploading anime.
    Also you might end up in jail when you sell drugs, uploading illegal files may cost you some money when you get caught, but nothing worse.

12. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    uploading anime is not only illegal, but subtitles are too !
    even if nobody says such a thing, or could affirm subtitles are legals, they are not !

Translating is part of the infringement, because the translator is reproducing the copyrighted script in another language, which is also part of the original work and registered as such.
    Translating needs authorisation, look at the official book translators, they must be official translators of their country and/or (?) registered to the book editors in the given country.

Sorry for my bad english here, I'm not used to english lawyer's terms, and I couldn't find the good words I wanted.

All the subtitles websites (for TV show for examples) are in the grey area, but sometime they get DMCA or C&D letters. I'm part of a french subtitles websites, some TV channels asked to have the subs removed for their shows (ABC mostly).
    Another example is Calorifix (an asian movies subtitles website) already got C&D from asian editors and were forced to close, but they came back without subtitles, only movie description and forums.

Ok, subtitles wasn't the subject here, but I always wanted to tell it.

13. jamesdiamond
    OP

jamesdiamond Newbie

Acts that may be criminal offences in the UK include:

* Making copies for the purpose of selling or hiring them to others[44]
    * Importing infringing copies (except for personal use)[45]
    * Offering for sale or hire, publicly displaying or otherwise distributing infringing copies in the course of a business[46]
    * Distributing a large enough number of copies to have a noticeable effect on the business of the copyright owner[47]
    * Making or possessing equipment for the purposes of making infringing copies in the course of a business[48]
    * Publicly performing a work in knowledge that the performance is unauthorised[49]
    * Communicating copies or infringing the right to "make available" copies to the public (either in the course of a business, or to an extent that has a noticeable effect on the business of the copyright owner)[50]
    * Manufacturing commercially, importing for non-personal use, possessing in the course of a business, or distributing to an extent that has a noticeable effect on the business of the copyright holder, a device primarily designed for circumventing a technological copyright protection measure.[51]

Which of these am I breaking if i were to?

14. razorback78

Member razorback78 GBAtemp Maniac

Philippines
    any unauthorized distribution of a copyrighted material is illegal.

15. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    yeah its illegal

16. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    That depends.

Let's say, you have an invasive ISP who checks what you are doing. It would be extremely simple for them to report you the 'police'. Selling crack also varies. Some countries are more strict then others and in some, it's legal.

Unnecessary post was unnecessary. [​IMG]

17. Holaitsme

Member Holaitsme 10/10 would be loyal again

United States
    Your ISP doesn't care what you download.
    Anti-piracy group complains to your ISP -> ISP writes you a letter

18. Hatsu

Banned Hatsu Someone's been killing, eh?

Australia
    If *******roll licenses it, it's illegal.

EDIT: Name might be illegal.

19. Magmorph

Member Magmorph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    If ISP's checked what people did on the internet, I'm sure the majority of the population that uses the internet would be in jail.

20. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Not to mention if invasive IP's are like the government, they won't give two shits about piracy. Would the government really blow open the fact that they wiretap your internet simply because a few kiddies uploaded Naruto? I don't think so.