nbomb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
I want to upgrade my wii. It is NTSC V 3.2U with Twilight Hack and Homebrew Channel.
Ive searched through forums and I always get mixed answers, trying to get a straightforward
explanation on how to do this. I would just try but I also keep reading everywhere about the possibility
of my Wii getting bricked for life and I'll do anything to avoid that.

I don't know what version I even need, I just want to be able to use large memory cards and to be able
to play guitar hero 6 on it. I think I also need to switch ISOs or something. I'm trying to run
the game from either back up or original DVD.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Easiest way to update is ensure you have the latest version of HBC (v1.0.8) [press Home button in HBC to display version in upper right corner of screen], then go into the Wii Settings and do a System Update. This way you get the full 4.3 update, with all the updated IOS and you keep HBC as well. Then all original games will work without any problems. If you don't have the latest HBC, you need to update it first by running the HackMii Installer from http://bootmii.org/download and choosing to update HBC.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
Easiest way to update is ensure you have the latest version of HBC (v1.0.8) [press Home button in HBC to display version in upper right corner of screen], then go into the Wii Settings and do a System Update. This way you get the full 4.3 update, with all the updated IOS and you keep HBC as well. Then all original games will work without any problems. If you don't have the latest HBC, you need to update it first by running the HackMii Installer from http://bootmii.org/download and choosing to update HBC.
That's also risking a brick.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
JoostinOnline said:
SifJar said:
No it isn't. I know of no way to brick doing what I described.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
SifJar said:

This will NOT get you softmod up to date.
It will only update official Ninty stuff and, in your case, will stub your cIOS.

Do as Joostinonline said, use Modmii if you have a PC. Be safe and update both with Modmii in ONE go.

And just some info: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Brick

nbomb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have HBC 1.0.1 IOS36 V4.18

I can't imaging it's as easy as updating my wii thru nintendo? Ive had many people
telling me not to do this. I want to be able to continue playing back up DVD's

Now Modmii, just run that regular and everything should work without risk?

Thanks!

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
JoostinOnline said:
SifJar said:
No it isn't. I know of no way to brick doing what I described.
If that happens to be a region changed Korean Wii (it's pretty rare for someone to actually realize they have a Korean Wii), there is 100% chance of brick. If it isn't, there is still a chance of bricking in the event of any sort of power failure, or just at random. Where you not around when 4.2 and 4.3 were released?

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
nbomb said:
I have HBC 1.0.1 IOS36 V4.18

I can't imaging it's as easy as updating my wii thru nintendo? Ive had many people
telling me not to do this. I want to be able to continue playing back up DVD's

Now Modmii, just run that regular and everything should work without risk?

Thanks!

Yes run it on your PC.
Just say you want to rehack your Wii.
Follow the oncreen instructions, and use the generated guide!
let us know how it went!

nbomb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK I think ill go for it then, will this work with Sandisk SDHC 4GB card? Or should I run
and get a smaller one?

Burton

Real Life VIP and Educator
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The easiest way is to use modmii as the above guys told you.

Off-topic I don't understand why Sifjar refuses to recommend Modmii. Been noticing this for a while.

nbomb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, first i want to say WOW. This is so easy and brainless, Modmii must be pretty new, it took
me forever to do the TwilightHack, probably 6 months after the will was released.

So Modmii is downloading the files and I just skimmed through the guide. Should I follow the
guide 100% through?
ie- the first step is installing HBC which I already have so do I skip it or go through everything?

Thanks!

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
JoostinOnline said:
If that happens to be a region changed Korean Wii (it's pretty rare for someone to actually realize they have a Korean Wii), there is 100% chance of brick. If it isn't, there is still a chance of bricking in the event of any sort of power failure, or just at random. Where you not around when 4.2 and 4.3 were released?

I forgot about Korean changed Wiis, which is only ever an issue if the Wii was bought from a dodgy second hand seller, and I have NEVER heard of a brick "just at random". Power failure also applies to any other update method, including ModMii.

QUOTE(Burton @ Aug 25 2011, 11:00 PM) The easiest way is to use modmii as the above guys told you.

Off-topic I don't understand why Sifjar refuses to recommend Modmii. Been noticing this for a while.

I refuse to recommend something that is not necessary. It is easier to just let HBC auto update and then do an official update. He made no mention of wanting a "softmodded" Wii, he explicitly said he was happy to play the game from an original disc. What I suggested allows that.

Burton

Real Life VIP and Educator
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@nbomb
Follow Modmii instructions. It will guide exactly the way you want your wii to be re-hacked.

@SifJar
If his wii is already softmodded it's common sense he meant to update his wii + maintain his backup loading capabilities unless he says otherwise like "I want to re-virginize" or "get rid my homebrew and stuff".
His last sentence clearly says it indirectly:
"I think I also need to switch ISOs or something. I'm trying to run
the game from either back up or original DVD."

nbomb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK somehow im already stuck, it seems it's failing to download most of the
files and it keeps getting "stuck" at the same place.
Modmii isnt freezing or crashing it just doesnt do anything, i waited a while.
Unfreezemii doesnt help.
Firewall is disabled, i tried running it a few times, im out of ideas.

scrn- http://imageshack.us/f/10/modwii.png

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Antivirus is probably blocking it. Most AV programs have been reporting ModMii as a false positive for the past couple months or so. Try temporarily disabling your AV program.

SifJar said:
JoostinOnline said:

I forgot about Korean changed Wiis, which is only ever an issue if the Wii was bought from a dodgy second hand seller, and I have NEVER heard of a brick "just at random". Power failure also applies to any other update method, including ModMii.
You haven't paid much attention to system updates the past few years, have you? Sometimes the updates just fail and cause full bricks, especially 4.2+ because of boot2. Check out hackmii or do a google search.

Btw, it's not just "dodgy second hand sellers" that sell region changed Korean Wii's. A lot of shops in Asia do that. They swap out the cases with ones from other Wii's so the serial number doesn't show it being Korean.

The point is, there was no reason to do a system update when it is much safer to use ModMii, and re-hacking would be necessary in the end anyway. The HBC isn't the only piece of homebrew, you know.

nbomb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have any AV installed, I also tried on another computer, got stuck
at the same place
Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :cry: You arent'? :cry:
    [tells my mom not to send you anymore Christmas presents] :evil: :rofl2: :tpi:
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im a minor
    So. I'm a Major
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im under 18
    I'm waaaaaaaaaay over 18. lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    that makes you a pedo
    Pedo = 1. child 2. boy 3. ? I forgot. But I wish I were still a "Boy" :sad::cry::cry::cry:
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i meant simping over someone under 18 while you are over 18 makes you a pedophile
    And when did I "simp" you?
    Just go make me the darn coffee :angry:
    Tea?
    LoL lmao
    L8er dude. going to watch YT's on the Ukraine/ruskie war.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi,tbh i think im
    not interested in whats going on irl
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    tomorrow's memorial day, so i've been looking for a playlist, but it's all just country and alternative rock
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, memorial day for who?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    why the hell can't i find one with a song about the soldiers who died in battle, the very reason we celebrate
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Bake them a cake :ninja:
    +1
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    I can change my name back tomorrow
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, what will your new username be?
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    My original one
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Stayin inside for memorial day. Just like other holidays, most people dont care or think about the actual reasons behind it. For most it's just another reason to get shit faced drunk and spout off hyper-patriotic nonsense. The Trumpers around here going to be out in full force with their trucks and guns and flags making noise all over town. Hard pass.
    +1
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Stayin inside for memorial day. Just like other holidays, most people dont care or think about... +1