Upgraded to 3DS XL, keep my DSi?

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by omghahalol, Jul 1, 2013.

1. omghahalol
    OP

omghahalol Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 28, 2013
    United States
    I recently upgraded to the 3DS XL from a DSi. My main usage of the system is for the DS2 and it's related features but I also wanted a larger device and to play some 3DS games, hence my reason for switching.

Do you see any reason to keep my DSi or should I sell it if I can get a decent enough price? I know that the DSi is preferred for updating DS2 firmware, but if I don't update my 3DS system menu should I have any problems in the future?

I also know that the 3DS drains the battery faster with the DS2 in "standby" as the cart is constantly polled so that is a negative, but I am happy overall.

Just wanted to get some input.

Thanks.

2. Pong20302000

Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Sep 8, 2009
    One's inner self
    keep both

always handy just in case

omghahalol likes this.
  3. omghahalol
    OP

omghahalol Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 28, 2013
    United States
    Sounds like a plan, thanks for your input.

4. reprep

reprep GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    depends on how much you can get for dsi. if it is like 20-30$, keep it.

5. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    It's not that DSi or anything older is "preferred", it's really just anything with a low enough SM to run the cart (and subsequently the update). Up to and including the 3DS/XL. The DSi just tends to get less frequent updates than the 3DS at this point in its life so its less likely for the card to be blocked on it.

Luckily, the DSTWO does have that nifty emergency update procedure, however it's best to avoid that whenever possible.

I'd definitely keep the DSi, if not for having a backup console/update whore, then just for the fact of keeping it. I like having bunches of systems; hence why I bought a DS Phat while having already owned a Lite for ages and a 3DS for a good year and a half; just to have it (I also got a damn good deal on it)

6. Vengenceonu

Vengenceonu Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    send both to me and in return ill send u a sock.