OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So i'm thinking about backing up to an external and 2nd internal hard drive. Formatting and installing the win7 early release. Win xp pro sp3 black,gentoo and solaris tri-boot right now.
Reinstalling Solaris and gentoo on a tri-boot with win7. My question is this? Vista really set me back and I downgraded and lost some data in the process. Is win7 a relentless cpu and ram background component waster like vista? With a donkey load of driver and third party conflict problems all that? I'm scared dude winme and vista really made me question microsoft's power level because it surely is not over 9000 now. I need my third party stuff,dev kit apps,drivers,hardware and software in a functional state.

4 GB DDR2,3.0 ghz quadcore over clocked 8 mb on board,nvidia 9500 with 1 gb on board,250 gb,750 gb sata internals 7200 rpm,XFX MG-610i-7059 GeForce 7050 Socket 775 Motherboard,Apex SK-386 ATX Black Mid-T Case w/ 300w PSU,Dual PCI Slot Fan on medium speed.

Anyone have xp points in win7's ram and cpu consumption? Performence issues?

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
The only bad thing I've heard about 7 is something to do with a video overlay problem. In terms of resources though, I've heard some people say it's better than XP.

asdf

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
7 is way better than Vista in the use of memory. It's also much faster and reliable. If drivers haven't come out for your computer yet, just use the Vista ones. They should work.

mattsaysfooey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Alrighty 64 bit windows 7 with addtional ram to 6 GB. You better not be failure and my software better work.
gbasp.gif

CrimsoniteX

Trophies
Website
crims0n.us
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
theres no reason to add more ram unless you are doing CAD, alot of photo/video editing, work

Actually, if you are gaming you should have a minimum of 4 gigs of ram. There is absolutely nothing wrong with 6 gigs, it gives you the freedom of minimizing everyday programs instead of closing and reopening them constantly.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can already do that with 4GB

unless its on an i7 (or one of the other reasons I mentioned), then its just throwing money out the window buying memory that will never be used
on top of that DDR2 prices are sky rocketing now thanx to integration of DDR3 memory

mattsaysfooey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Running a spider,rsbot low res and Unreal 99/new Wolfenstein at the same time? 6 GB > overheating.
Before I dropped that adjustable dual pci slot fan in I almost criticaled/shut down on a 94.8 F.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
srly?
those things barely take up any resources

I still do not see a need for 6GB with those programs mentioned
especially unreal 99, it only needs like 32MB of ram,lol

it seems your just doing it because you can, and it will not benefit your system and will cost you $$$

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
mattsaysfooey said:
Running a spider,rsbot low res and Unreal 99/new Wolfenstein at the same time? 6 GB > overheating.
Before I dropped that adjustable dual pci slot fan in I almost criticaled/shut down on a 94.8 F.

Dude, there's something wrong with your computer if it's shutting down at 94.8 F, which is only 34 C. You need to check other spots in your computer. Also, that number doesn't tell us anything. Is that ambient temperature? CPU? GPU?

The minimum is definitely not 4 gigs, even for newer games. The minimum is 2 gigs.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I gave Win 7 a shot on a 512mb RAM 333Mhz, AMD 3000+ CPU single core 2.0GHZ.

Lets put it this way: Its good in terms of speed, i mean its not the fastest thing while booting, but i can have MSN, mediaplayer and Google Chrome open and its only at 60% RAM usuage. but if your happy with XP, just keep it.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Jiggah said:
mattsaysfooey said:

Dude, there's something wrong with your computer if it's shutting down at 94.8 F, which is only 34 C. You need to check other spots in your computer. Also, that number doesn't tell us anything. Is that ambient temperature? CPU? GPU?

The minimum is definitely not 4 gigs, even for newer games. The minimum is 2 gigs.
I think he means 94.8 C. Computers with LOTS of dust in them (use a can of duster!!) can overheat like that, but it's mostly laptops.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo