Updating to Switch V2.00 Update causing Wifi issues?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by retrofan_k, Mar 6, 2017.

1. retrofan_k
    OP

retrofan_k GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    Before the update, I was connecting to my 5.0Ghz band fine, yet after the 2.00 update, it refuses to connect, even though i'm sat next to my router. 2.0Ghz band connects, yet drops signal at random and refuses to connect. Multiple reboots, tried port forwarding, DMZ to see if it made a difference but to no avail. Again, before the update, it was fine.

I have my main PC, a PS4, 2 3DS's, Xbox One, 2 phones, and a TV connected to my network wireless, working fine, so this issue is definitely Nintendo's from what I see.

I saw a guy say "I think they just reduced range or some wifi internal settings to save more power in the update as before the update mine was fine".

Thoughts?

Last edited by retrofan_k, Mar 6, 2017
  2. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    No problems for me, i think perhaps some wii u systems are defective? :unsure:

3. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    No problem on my end either using 5GHz.

4. comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    he's talking about the switch.

retrofan_k likes this.
  5. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 12, 2009
    Maybe check the channels on the router or try moving the switch AWAY from the router in case it's an antenna issue, etc.

6. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Sorry i meant switch, i had that on my clip board and must have pressed paste by accident.:ninja:

Have you tried changing the channel on the router perhaps? Did you reboot the router or something?

7. nekojosh

nekojosh Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2015
    Panama City, Panama
    Actually I was having issues connecting to my 2.4ghz network before the update. The router reaches all the house, all devices were connectable but the Switch would show low signal or simply fail to connect. After the update it got better but everytime I ran speed test it came back with 2.4-2.6 mbps of download speed and 200-500 kbps of upload speed. I ended up enabling the 5ghz network on my router, asigned a static IP address and DNS to the Switch, and I have it connected alone to the 5ghz network. Now I'm getting 27-30mbps of download speed and 4.4-5mbps upload speed which is about right since I have 30mbps down and 5 mbps up (I know... my internet sucks...)

8. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Already done that too. Even with auto settings i got good connections. :P

9. retrofan_k
    OP

retrofan_k GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    I have to undock it downstairs, go 25 feet upstairs to the router, so it gets a connection and then dock again downstairs @ 2.4Ghz. Before the update it was fine on both bands downstairs, without having to undock it and be close to the router.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I have done all the basic stuff, it's not my router, as it's only done this since the 2.00 update.

10. nekojosh

nekojosh Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2015
    Panama City, Panama
    Try using 5ghz if your router allows it.

11. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.

12. nekojosh

nekojosh Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2015
    Panama City, Panama
    Cool, I missed that part. Thanks @migles

Then, what about applying a static IP and reserve that address on your router? Use google's DNS.

Do you have a friend who can take his Switch over to your house and test if his works fine? That way you can determine if your device is having issues.

13. bowser

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Sep 1, 2008
    India
    GBAtemp ↑↑↓↓← → ← →BA
    Login to your router and clear all the wifi devices and try again.

14. Garro

Garro Pendulum of souls!

Aug 15, 2009
    Chile
    Somewhere
    I do have range issues since the Switch is the only device that does not reach my router. I'm not sure if I had that issue before updating but I do remember having no issue setting up and updating the console. Now I need to use my computer as an AP if I want to use Switch online.