Updating to 5.5.0 Advice

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Qix2140, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Qix2140
    OP

Qix2140 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2016
    Hey all, I bought a wii u today . It is on version 5.1.0 . I done some looking around on the hacking scene and i have a dilema . i got a bunch of games with my wii u. ( smm, smash, mario kart 8) As you can see these games are better with online functionality . Originally, i had planned on spoofing and keeping low FW but you need 1 of 3 games that i don't have or can afford atm to update to compatible firmware.

As it stands i'm not using anything like loadline , homebrew channel etc but would like to in the future .
    I heard that there maybe a IOSU exploit being released in february for up to 5.5 so my plan was:

update my console and enjoy my games with online play and wait for the IOSU exploit in febuary . That way i can enjoy my games. Is this a solid plan or would i be making a mistake ? i assume all the benefits so far in the scene will be available after the exploit after a little time.

some advice would be helpful. Thanks

2. shaneod

shaneod GBAtemp Fan

Mar 3, 2011
    As much as I want to trust that a 5.5.0 hack will be released by February, if you have a console under 5.3.2 right now, you should just update to 5.3.2 via a disc. Don't risk updating to 5.5.0 and then finding out you're stuck.

3. Slartibartfast42

Slartibartfast42 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 6, 2013
    United States
    He said he can't afford to up by disc. So he'd have to go through the trouble of trying to borrow a game, or buying a used copy and being able to return it.

4. shaneod

shaneod GBAtemp Fan

Mar 3, 2011
    He should do that then, or stay on 5.1.0 until February to see if an exploit comes or not.

5. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    You have a Family Video (or the UK equivalent) anywhere near you?

6. Qix2140
    OP

Qix2140 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2016
    Sadly, no rental service is available here. I guess it just comes down to hoping for the best If i do decide to update. I heard lower firmware might get the exploit earlier because it's easier to implement. Sadly, there isn't many options. Maybe if i look around, i could find a cheap enough compatible game. Just sucks having the console out of commission in the meantime .

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  7. kidnaper

kidnaper Member

Newcomer
    Apr 8, 2014
    United States
    What's the return policy for used games at Game? That's how I hacked my vWii. Rented used from Gamestop then returned it.

8. mediavieja

mediavieja Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 28, 2010
    Venezuela
    Just a comment, he said it will be release sometime january and 100% sure that he was gonna be giving support for the kernel on february, so th iosu will be release anytime january without any doubts according to hikem himself

9. memomo

memomo ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nov 30, 2013
    You will not see anything from him in Jan/Feb etc. , other team will release it without any ETD for now

Last edited by memomo, Jan 4, 2016
  10. Net-KILLER

Net-KILLER computer says no

Oct 22, 2009
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    in a pineapple under the sea
    Nope
    The other Team will release nothing and hykem is still with us.
    Afaik it's not delayed

Last edited by Net-KILLER, Jan 4, 2016
  11. yahoo

yahoo G͝B͢A͜t͞em҉p̡ R̨e͢g̷ul̨aŗ

Aug 4, 2014
    United States
    This is incorrect. Other team has said they will not be releasing it, ever.

Yep. This.

12. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Vanuatu
    You can get splatoon from eBay, use it and then send it back. Or do the same with cex pre owned games.

13. oumoumad

oumoumad GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 20, 2015
    France
    If you don't care about having hax soon, yes update and enjoy playing,
    if you want hax now and still be able to play online, buy/rent a game and update to 5.3.2 and spoof.

There is no "best plan" there is only what's more important/priority for you. I would choose to update now if I really want to enjoy online, but since personally I don't play much these days. I just kept my wii U unupdated.

14. Plasma Shadow

Plasma Shadow GBAtemp's Artificial Lifeform

May 15, 2009
    I have no fucking idea.
    Smash can be 5.3.2 aswell (my smash disc had 5.3.2)

15. Slartibartfast42

Slartibartfast42 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 6, 2013
    United States
    Playing the games you already bought because you think they are good enough to pay for is more important then pirating the games that you didn't think were worth buying. I'm just going to pirate the bad games and the games that I may only play once. I can wait for that, playing the games I have is more important.

16. rory2005

rory2005 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2015
    buy used game from ebay and return under unwanted, as long as returns are accepted.

will cost you for return postage.

17. oumoumad

oumoumad GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 20, 2015
    France
    I agree in a sense that when you like a game and you paid for it, it has much more value and you enjoy playing it much more than the one you just downloaded for free to try.

18. netovsk

netovsk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    As far as it seems there IS an loadiine kernel exploit and loader for 5.0.0-5.1.0 or so it says on wiiubrew.

paulloeduardo likes this.
  19. Jaredmf1012

Jaredmf1012 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2009
    United States
    haven't used my wii u in a while, see that it's on 5.5 Am i fucked for any homebrew stuff in the future or is there news of an exploit for 5.5 coming out?

20. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    IOSU is slated for FW v2.0.0-5.5.0 sometime this month