Jaems

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I haven't kept up to date with all this cIOS and updating mumbo jumbo, and never have.
But I remember hearing that 4.2 is a death trap.

Problem is, I feel like browsing the Wii Shop Channel, but it tells me I must first update my Wii.
Now, I have a Wiikey v1 installed, Homebrew Channel, illegit wads, and bootMii installed on Nand2.

I'm almost certain it is not a good idea to update through Nintendo. But correct me if I'm wrong, please.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Jaems said:
You mean it gets rid of Homebrew Channel and cIOSes and shit?

Yes. It stubs IOSes 222, 223, 249, and I believe 250 as well, if you update through Nintendo. It also deletes the title IDs HAXX and DVDX on every boot of the System Menu. It also eliminates Bootmii with boot2v4. It's easy to rehack, though, and you can undo all of said damage with an updated Hackmii installer(they changed the title ID to JODI, and DVDX's to something else as well, and you can just overwrite boot2v4 with Bootmii as much as you like, as long as it's compatible, of course, which yours is), and perhaps a guide like completesg. Takes no longer than hacking any other System Menu.

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
If you have System Menu 4.1, there is no benefit to updating via Nintendo. All you'd need to really do in this case is update the Wii Shop Channel via WiiSCU or Dop-IOS MOD.

This probably isn't a big deal, but System Menu 4.2 dislikes region hax; if the Wii was converted to/from the Korean region, expect Error 003. (You can recover from that error.) It also doesn't like hacks that allow region-free gaming via the Disc Channel.

P.S.- If you do choose to update to 4.2 via Nintendo, IOS202 and IOS250, if installed prior to updating, will not be overwritten. Nintendo fucked up the IOS250 stubbing; 65280 < 65535.

leondmsmith

Trophies
XP
Country
Just use the simplisic mod to completley rehack it. You will be on system menu 4.2 and all will be well, apart from region free not working.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F