Updating Palantine CFW to rxTools

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Scoop111, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Scoop111
    OP

Scoop111 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Hello everybody.

I'm sorry, but I couldn't find an answer to this neither on this site nor elsewhere on the net. I installed Palantine's CFW several months ago and have been busy with collage since then, so I didn't really follow what was going on in the scene. I have an Old 3DS with OFW 4.5.0-10E.
    As far as I've read I wanna install rxTools on it, but all the Tuts I've found only explain how to install it from scratch. I really don't wanna install all the cia's again or losing my save states.

So I wonder, is there an quick and easy way to update to rxTools? I don't have a GW Card or DS-Flash card. I was following this Tutorial: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...-cfw-4-5-without-gateway.378371/#post-5273933 to install Palantine in the first place.

It would be great if someone could point me in the right direction or outline which steps would be required.

Thanks in advance,
    Scoop

Last edited by Scoop111, Nov 8, 2015
  2. EmceeKerser

EmceeKerser GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 3, 2014
    The fuckin' Blue Mountains brah
  3. Scoop111
    OP

Scoop111 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Well, then it must have been a year ago. Back then, there was no alternative.
    Yeah, I think it does. I've read the first few pages several times (not all 700 though). Still I cannot make head or tails of how to make it work. For example, can I just install it to my current SD with all the stuff on it through MSET? I mean, it states to install FBI, but I already have a Dev-Installer, which I used to install the cia's in the first place. Basically I wonder, where to start. If it's possible to just "switch" the launcher.dat or such, or if it's neccessary to format the SD and start all over again.

4. EmceeKerser

Jun 3, 2014
    If you have the emunand on the SD card you literally drag and drop rxtools, install themehax for autoboot, and thats it

5. RaMon90

RaMon90 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 3, 2013
    Italy
    wormdood and Zidapi like this.
  6. Scoop111
    OP

Scoop111 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Thanks both of you for your help. It's probably just me, but i find it hard to understand how all this programs "work together".

@RaMon90
    I stumbled across this Tut. The part of reinjecting the new emunand made sense to me. But I still don't know what it means by "update your emunand with rxtools" in the last step of nr. 2. First I have to install rxTools through MSET-Exploit, right? Is that the Bonus stuff down in that link?

I really apologize if those questions are too noobish. I read lot's of stuff since last night. But most of the time it's just "do this or that", without explaining, what it actually does or what's happening. So it's hard to see things in their context.

Last edited by Scoop111, Nov 8, 2015
    Quantumcat likes this.
  7. TerryG

TerryG GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    The OP is on 4.5 so themehax won't work unless he updates his sysnand.

8. EmceeKerser

Jun 3, 2014
    Yea sorry, I missed a step

You'd have to first upgrade to 9.2 using sysupdater in rxtools DEVmode

9. Scoop111
    OP

Scoop111 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2015
    Gambia, The
    I really don't need to have Autoboot. I basically just wanna be able to install newer cia's.
    So, I got, that I have to insert/update emunand as described in the thread RaMon90 linked above so that it's compatible with rxTools. But then I'm kinda lost. I assume I have to move the files from rxTools to the SD-Root and boot them through the MSET-Exploit?

10. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    taken from this guide [Tutorial] Installing rxTools Custom Firmware - (3DS and 2DS)
    unlink your nands for safety reasons
    and in case you were wondering what all the themehax/menuhax talk is about see here https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=LcAMVMpXjzo instructions for that are also in the guide i linked for you

good luck

Last edited by wormdood, Nov 8, 2015
    samiam144 and RaMon90 like this.
  11. Scoop111
    OP

Scoop111 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Update:

Okay, I finally had the time to give it a try. Here is what I did so far:

- I tried to extract that redNand and reinject as emunand with multinand-tool, but it didn't work. I tried on 3 different computers, but my SD-Card was not recognized. I remembered back when I istalled Palantine's firmware some other tool told me that this gateway nand would be corrupted or something, but it worked anyway, so I left it that way.

- I followed that guide wormdood linked above, put the rxinstaller on the SD along with the firmware.bin I created and the slot0x25KeyX.bin in the right place and used the Browser-Method to install. So I'm actually able to start rxTools through MSET, it brings me to emunand (says RX-E 4.5.0-10E in System-Menu) and shows all cia's installed on the card. Both nands still seem to be separated. I also have three black fields on the bottom screen and no idea what they are. But all the cia's seem to boot alright.

- I installed Majora's Mask through devMenu but it hangs at the 3DS-Screen and won't boot. I suppose I have to update emunand first. Question is, should I do that through the system menu while being online (in emunand of course)? Or is there a better way? I have never updated my 3DS so far. And is it safe to do so, even if I the re-injecting of the emunand in the first step didn't work?

BTW, out of curiousity what is the firmware.bin actually good for? I thought it was actually there to update the emunand...

12. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    lots if questions huh
    are you sure . . . if you load sysnand from rxtools menu can you still see them?
    at some point a cia file was installed improperly (to the incorrect location) and rxtools applies a slightly different set of system patches the result is a black and otherwise blank unlaunchable app icons on home screen (i can help here as well but one thing at a time. lol) i crossed out my responses not because i was wrong but because you must fix the emunand problem first you need to either convert it to a gateway emunand, or abandon it and use gateway launcher (found in the guide i linked) to make a gateway emunand or else when you try to update emunand you will update sysnand instead/(at the same time)
    then update as you described only if you have gateway emunand and will it work with rxtools safely

the firmware.bin is used to boot rxtools with the proper patches so that it functions properly

13. Scoop111
    OP

Scoop111 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Hello and thanks for your answer. Yes, quite some questions, I know. But things start to make some sense.

So, basically, if multi-emunand-tool does not find my SD-Card, there is no other way to convert the emunand? I was kind of hoping, that the fact that rxtools booted was enough ^^ Anyway, this means I will have to wipe the SD-Card and start all over with creating a Gateway-Emunand as described in step 1 of that linked tutorial. Correct?

14. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    i would back up your current emunand and the rest of the sd card to your pc first (so you can recover saves), but yes that's what i am saying wipe and start new at step 1 in the guide i linked

15. Scoop111
    OP

Scoop111 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Alright. It took some time, but I've set it all up. Wiped the card, followed the guide, created a new emunand, installed rxTools, unlinked the nands and installed FBI. Now I still have those 3 black Boxes in emunand and need update it.

Edit: You said earlier those black icons are the result of badly installed cia's. But how is that possible after I started from scratch?? o.O On the other hand, they appeared after installing rxTools. Other than in the Tutorial, the Browser didn't actualy freeze and sent me back to the home-menu. I had to turn of the 3DS after a few minutes. Does it have to do with this??

Last edited by Scoop111, Nov 11, 2015
  16. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    if you have newly created a new emunand and have the boxes still then you have on your real nand (and still emunand as well) then you have cia files in destanation nand that dont belong there and the black apps are the result of it being read with rxtools patches . . . in your case i would advise you put them in a folder and ignore them
    and as far as emunand update its as simple as
    edit: i also have the black box issue i had 4 of them but when i swiched to the 9-28 build of rxtools this link RxTools Nightlies by @WhoAmI? the number of black boxes reduced to one

Last edited by wormdood, Nov 11, 2015
  17. Scoop111
    OP

Scoop111 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Okay. I just updated the emunand to 10.3 and everything seems to work alright ^^ Actually, after the update the black boxes where gone :)
    So only one question left. How would I restore my previous game saves from the Backup?

Edit:
    BTW, is it normal that rxTools freezes the system every now and then, when trying to boot it through MSET? Happened to me twice now.

Last edited by Scoop111, Nov 11, 2015
  18. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    To recover your saves, search for SaveDataFiler in the forum. And yes that's normal, rxTools isn't 100% stable.

19. Scoop111
    OP

Scoop111 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2015
    Gambia, The
    I was afraid it would involve more than just copy over the old save-file to the new game-folder :/