Hacking Question updating my emummc to latest firmware

kisamesama

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have found this guide https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/extras/updating/ and about to follow it to update my emuMMC which is currently on 8.1.0 and is never connected to the internet.
Updating atmosphere and hetake seems straightforward but updating the firmware seems the most "difficult" one.
It says to update the sysnand firmware first and then dump it and then update emummc with daybreak from the dumped firmware.
Some questions:
  • is this a safe method?
  • I have never connected to internet on my sysnand since installing emummc (I use emummc all the time). the guide says to upgrade my synand.
  • Is there stuff I need to be aware of? there's risks of ban or bricking updating the sysnand OTA?
  • what is the latest switch firmware? is it comptable with latest atmosphere and hetake?

some more info:
  • I have some nsp retail games installed on my emuMMC; don't know how it affects sysmmc?
  • I have a few homebrew apps too

Last edited by kisamesama,

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
If you don't want to go online with your SysMMC to update it you can download the update using AIO updater and then update with Daybreak as mentioned in the guide you link to. If you are not online with your emuMMC either you can download it manually from a computer. I can't link to the website here but you can google 'download switch firmware'

Reactions: kisamesama

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have found this guide https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/extras/updating/ and about to follow it to update my emuMMC which is currently on 8.1.0 and is never connected to the internet.
Updating atmosphere and hetake seems straightforward but updating the firmware seems the most "difficult" one.
It says to update the sysnand firmware first and then dump it and then update emummc with daybreak from the dumped firmware.
Some questions:
  • is this a safe method?
  • I have never connected to internet on my sysnand since installing emummc (I use emummc all the time). the guide says to upgrade my synand.
  • Is there stuff I need to be aware of? there's risks of ban or bricking updating the sysnand OTA?
  • what is the latest switch firmware? is it comptable with latest atmosphere and hetake?

some more info:
  • I have some nsp retail games installed on my emuMMC; don't know how it affects sysmmc?
  • I have a few homebrew apps too
That is the legal way of doing it. Since those guys are anti-piracy they wouldn't suggest downloading the firmware from the internet. But you can download it from that darth site, just search darth switch firmware.

kisamesama

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have installed the latest firmware offline with daybreak. Seems to be working fine except I get gamecard error and my gamecard does not work (mario kart)..haven't tried other gamecard yet

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
That's because you have updated emuMMC without updating sysMMC. Then your gamecard firmware haven't been updated. Atmosphere detects that and blocks the gamecard slot. Otherwise it would update the gamecard firmware and then you can't use it in sysMMC before you update that as well. It is explained in the link you provided.

As I see it you have two options:

• Disable that feature in Atmosphere and let it update the gamecard firmware. Then you can use it in emuMMC but not in sysMMC
  • Update sysMMC as well.

If you go for the first option you can reenable the gamecard slot in sysMMC again by updating the sysMMC firmware.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have installed the latest firmware offline with daybreak. Seems to be working fine except I get gamecard error and my gamecard does not work (mario kart)..haven't tried other gamecard yet
You have nogc enabled. Depending on how you boot Atmosphere, you can disable it but keep in mind that disabling it will irreversibly update your cartridge slot preventing you from using it on lower firmware versions.

robotnic90

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I have the switch v2 mariko with modchip installed. I have 2 questions:

1) is it ok to leave my sysnand untouched and not updated while my emummc with latest firmware and atmosphere version? (Example, i want to leave my sysnand at official firmware 10.0 and i would like to just update my emummc to FW v12.0.2, so as not to burn fuses when upgrading the firmware to a higher level?) This way, can i still run atmosphere properly (even if sysnand is at OFW 10.0 while emummc with atmosphere is at OFW 12.0.2 and 0.19.3, respectively?

2) Is it safe to use daybreak and AIO to update my emummc firmware with my v2 mariko switch? Will it brick it?

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
I have the switch v2 mariko with modchip installed. I have 2 questions:

1) is it ok to leave my sysnand untouched and not updated while my emummc with latest firmware and atmosphere version? (Example, i want to leave my sysnand at official firmware 10.0 and i would like to just update my emummc to FW v12.0.2, so as not to burn fuses when upgrading the firmware to a higher level?) This way, can i still run atmosphere properly (even if sysnand is at OFW 10.0 while emummc with atmosphere is at OFW 12.0.2 and 0.19.3, respectively?

2) Is it safe to use daybreak and AIO to update my emummc firmware with my v2 mariko switch? Will it brick it?
Answer is Yes to both your questions

robotnic90

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Answer is Yes to both your questions

Thank you so much! So i guess emummc works like emunand on sx os. I have decided to migrate to atmosphere and leave sx os completely. Appreciate it!

I just want to know coz i got my v2 switch 2nd hand. It was already converted to atmosphere. Whenever i boot my console, it loads hekate right away without the sx os boot screen. Im just curious how he programmed it that way. Does this mean spacecraft nx was flashed to my modchip?

Last edited by robotnic90,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much! So i guess emummc works like emunand on sx os. I have decided to migrate to atmosphere and leave sx os completely. Appreciate it!

I just want to know coz i got my v2 switch 2nd hand. It was already converted to atmosphere. Whenever i boot my console, it loads hekate right away without the sx os boot screen. Im just curious how he programmed it that way. Does this mean spacecraft nx was flashed to my modchip?
Yes, Spacecraft-NX is flashed to your system.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Also the wood ui for twl menu is back... +2